Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand & Cambodia in 44 days?

• Leonw86

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2012

Hello everybody,

My girlfriend (22) and I (25) are planning to go to Thailand and Cambodia next year from February 13 to March 28. I have been to Thailand once before on a studytrip. I have seen Bangkok, Chiang Mai & Patong Beach.

For my girlfriend this will be her first time to a none western country. Even though she was born in Thailand in a refugee camp and her parents are both from Cambodia. They moved to the Netherlands when she was 2. Her whole family lives in Cambodia ( Battambang ), but she has never seen them before. This will be her first time visiting her country of birth and her mother country. So it's going to be a very special trip.

I have made a plan of places to see. Can you please let me know if it isn't to much. Should I skip something, add something or change the route? If you have any tips for things to do at these destinations or travelling between them, they are more then welcome.

Wednesday 13: Arrival Amsterdam-Cairo-Bangkok
    Thursday 14: Bangkok (arrival afternoon)
    Friday 15: Train from Bangkok - Ayuthaya (day train) - Lop Buri (day train) - Chiang Mai (night train)
    Saturday 16: Chiang Mai (arrival morning)
    Sunday 17: Chiang Mai
    Monday 18: Trekking
    Tuesday 19: Chiang Mai (night train)
    Wednesday 20: Bangkok (arrival morning)
    Thursday 21: Bangkok - Siem Reap
    Friday 22: Siem Reap (Angkor Wat)
    Saturday 23: Siem Reap
    Sunday 24: Siem Reap - Battambang
    Monday 25: Battambang (visit family)
    Tuesday 26: Battambang (visit family)
    Wednesday 27: Battambang - Phnom Penh
    Thursday 28: Phnom Penh
    Friday 1: Phnom Penh
    Saturday 2: Phnom Penh - Sihanoukville
    Sunday 3: Sihanoukville
    Monday 4: Sihanoukville
    Tuesday 5: Sihanoukville - Bangkok
    Wednesday 6: Bangkok - Kanchanaburi (morning train or bus?)
    Thursday 7: Kanchanaburi (erawan)
    Friday 8: Kanchanaburi - Bangkok (morning train or bus?)
    Saturday 9: Bangkok (night train to Surat Thani )
    Sunday 10: Surat Thani (arrival morning) - Krabi (by bus) - Ko Phi Phi (by ferry)
    Monday 11: Ko Phi Phi
    Tuesday 12: Ko Phi Phi
    Wednesday 13: Ko Phi Phi (my girlfriends birthday)
    Thursday 14: Ko Phi Phi
    Friday 15: Ko Phi Phi - Ko Lipe (ferry)
    Saturday 16: Ko Lipe
    Sunday 17: Ko Lipe
    Monday 18: Ko Lipe
    Tuesday 19: Ko Lipe (ferry) - Trang (train to Surat Thani) - Ko Samui (ferry)
    Wednesday 20: Ko Samui
    Thursday 21: Ko Samui
    Friday 22: Ko Samui
    Saturday 23: Ko Samui
    Sunday 24: Ko Samui (ferry) - Surat Thani - Bangkok (night train)
    Monday 25: Bangkok (arrival morning)
    Tuesday 26: Bangkok
    Wednesday 27: Bangkok (evening flight home)
    Thursday 28: Departure Bangkok-Cairo-Amsterdam

Thank you!!

Leon

#1 Posted: 30/5/2012 - 08:35

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would keep the plan and drop the timeline. Get to what you get to, and what you don't get to, oh well. That way you are not imposing artificial stress on what is suppose to be a vacation and a good time. Maybe you'll get to Bangkok and say to yourself, "Man, this place is great" and decide not to leave for a few weeks. Or maybe you'll get there and say "Man, this place is insane" (it's both) and decide to blow out the next day. Don't worry about checking blocks on an itinerary. You got a list of places to go - good enough. My two cents for what they're worth.

#2 Posted: 30/5/2012 - 09:33

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Leon,

Don't forget that unless you have a multiple-entry visa, you will only get a 15-day stamp when you return to Thailand from Cambodia unless you fly. Seeing as you are leaving from S-ville, I'm going to assume that you are planning on taking the ferry (beautiful trip!) and not flying. If this is the case, and you are planning another 24 days in Thailand, then you're going to need more time on your visa. You cannot extend it in the country. So make sure you have a multiple-entry tourist visa, or apply for a Thai visa when you are in Phnom Penh.

Something else you might consider is staying in Cambodia a bit longer and checking out some of the islands there and cut back on a couple of the Thai islands.

You might want to get your Cambodian visas ahead of time in order to avoid any hassles at the border.

Not sure what you like or dislike, but I think that folks your age would enjoy islands like Koh Lanta, Koh Pha-ngan, and Koh Tao much more than Koh Phi Phi and Koh Samui, both of which will also be much more hard on your budget. If you want to see Phi Phi you can take a boat there from Lanta to check it out. You'll probably see that you'll be glad that you didn't go. As Mac says, "my two cents for what they're worth."

I would recommend taking the train rather than the bus to Kanchanaburi. It's a much nicer way to get there and you can walk to the majority of the guest houses from the train station.

You guys are going to have a blast in Battambang!!! I'm envious.

#3 Posted: 30/5/2012 - 11:41

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I can only speak for the southern part of Thailand.

On our recent trip to Kanchanaburi Lady Tezza andI took the bus up - the trip is appreciably quicker than the train and the latter leaves pretty early in the morning, which is fine if you don't like sleeping in a bit. There are only 2 trains per day whereas the buses are hourly. The afternoon train doesn't arrive in Kanchanaburi all that early, meaning you have blown a good part of the day just getting there.
    Coming back (to the airport) we got a driver to take us all the way from our raft house upriver to the airport simply because this cut a potential 6 hour+ trip to considerably less than 2.

In Kanchanaburi town I noticed most travel desks and agents had info about minibuses to Hua Hin - this would save a hell of a lot of time on your trip to Surathani. I don't think the station is in Hua Hin but the agents should be able to get the minibus to drop you at one nearby.

I personally would jump a bus from Hua Hin to Krabi or Phuket for Phi Phi, simply to save time. But some people love trains.

Erawan btw is great.

#4 Posted: 30/5/2012 - 20:38

• Leonw86

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2012

Hi Madmac, Tilapia & Tezza,

Thank for your advice.

I'm dropping the timeline. It's just a guide of things we want to see. If we don't have enough time, we're dropping one of the islands.

I was aware of the visa requirements. I think I will arrange them before our arrival to make sure everything is taken care of. What Cambodian island do you recommend? My girlfriend and I love partying with friends, but when we're with just the 2 of us we enjoy it more to sit down, have a drink an go "people watching. I've been to Patong Beach, that's to mass for me, with in-your-face older man with younger girls. That doesn't mean that we don't enjoy a crowd. We don't have to be alone on the island. What Thai & Cambodian islands with beautifull beaches do you recommend now you know what we like?

I'm thinking of taking the train to Kanchanaburi and maybe a bus back. I will definitly look up the possibilities to go from Kanchanaburi to Hua Hin, and take the nighttrain to Surathani from there. It depends on the time and price, but we could save a day.

Our budget for the whole trip for the 2 of us will be TB 107.000 / USD 3.440.
    Minus the 2 days flying to BKK and back that's 42 days. So that's a budget of TB 2.550 / USD 82 per day. Budget per day per person is TB 1.275 / USD 41.
    Is this enough to visit al the places we want to, eat/drink/sleep/travel/excursions and maybe buy something?

Battambang will be great. Her family lives in a village 10 minute ride from Battambamg. I can't wait to see her and her families reaction when they see each other for the first time!

#5 Posted: 31/5/2012 - 04:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.