Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Southern Thailand and the jungle railway

Posted by Rohan on 1/6/2012 at 01:02

I am looking at taking a train trip between Bangkok and Singapore, and was looking at the jungle line in Malaysia for the scenic route. However, having just checked the Smarttraveller website, I have discovered that the Australian government has put a "Do not travel" warning over Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla in southern Thailand. I understand that the train will pass through this region.

This gives rise to 2 concerns for me - the first, obviously, is the risk involved. Does anyone have any experience on the dangers in this part of Thailand? Can I just pass through on the train, or will I need to make a stopover in this part of the country?

My second concern is travel insurance. In the past, I have used 1Cover. However, having read the policy, I know that there is a general exclusion for not taking sufficient care in light of government warnings, such care extending to cancelling the trip. Does anyone know of any insurance provider where I could be confident that I had effective coverage if something went wrong on this part of the trip?

#1 Rohan has been a member since 16/6/2009. Posts: 63

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.