Thailand forum

weather in July ko lanta?

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Hi,
    We are going to Southern Thailand in July 2008 to get married. I am leaning heavily towards Ko Lanta, so just want to check general weather conditions. I have been to Southern Thailand in Juky before - in July 2005 we spent 2 weeks in Trang. The wester then was great - it only rained once - for only an hour in the evening. So is it similar in KO Lanta? I don't mind rain, really, and I actually like storms too...
    ALISON

#1 Posted: 12/4/2007 - 15:27

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Alison,

June and July are pretty wet on Ko Lanta, though are not the wettest months of the year. Another concern is some of the cheaper places close in low season, so it is worth considering as well.

Both Trang and Krabi provicnes are in the same weather system. You can see more weather information for Thailand here.

#2 Posted: 12/4/2007 - 18:22

• trickythefi-
    rst

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2007

Hi Alison,

I was in Koh Lanta for the last week in July 2007. I wasn't sure what to expect either but for the full 6 days it was cloudy only 1 day and blazing sunshine for the remainder and very hot.

i'd also been in Ao Nang for a couple of days prior and weather was the same but at start and end of trip spent two days in Krabi Town on each leg and it rained heavily for 2 of the 4 days.

Not sure if I just hit a good pocket of weather but it was glorious for the best part of 2 weeks in Krabi Province.

Re Admin Mahout's comments about operations closing down, on Lanta it was very quiet, only a few travellers/tourists which was great as you felt you had the island to yourself but a lot of places were closed up(on Phra Ae beach in north)and restaurants didn't open till about 5 in the evening.

Hope the above is helpful, if you need further info re where stayed etc, prices, restaurants just let me know.

Cheers
    Tricky the first

#3 Posted: 29/4/2007 - 18:38

• sparkle_sis-
    ta70

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2009

im also heading down to the coast in thailand in the last two weeks of july this summer 09 ( koh samui/ko tao in the south, and also bangkok and chiang mai at the beginning of jully)I have heard that july is the rainy season/monsoon....i am very worrried as does this mean that it will literally be raining all the time ...or will it just rain for very little...i am going for the sun and a nice tan..not english rain! ;(
    Also, in july- will there still be lots of people in popular places like ko samui...as i am going with friends for a fun holiday and so looking to have good nights out..;) thanks, bex :)

#4 Posted: 5/1/2009 - 21:45

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

We did it this year. We had our trip in July 08, during rainy season. Although we actually ended up going to khao Lak instead of Ko Lanta. Weather wise, we didn't have problems with the weather, but we knew what to expect.
    It DID rain, but not that much once we got to the coast. We spent 5 days at the beach and only one afternoon/evening it was raining - torrential downpour and a great storm, so it was quite fun to watch. The rest of the time it was fine. That has been my experience in July around Trang as well. Might rain a bit in the evening, but the day is usually clear. And it is warm rain anyway, so not unpleasant drizzle that lasts all day.
    The MUCH cheaper prices are worth the rain... IMO. If you are looking for lots of nightlife however, it is pretty quiet, and there can be lots of closed places. There isn't a problem finding places to stay, but they will be quiet, you might be one of the only ones there!
    I don't think you will have a problem with a good night out around Samui though!

#5 Posted: 7/1/2009 - 06:08

• sparkle_sis-
    ta70

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2009

oh okay great, thanks...roughly what was the temperature where you were..was it like around 30?
    yea i want to go to places where there will be lots of other young travellers ( im 19) and good nightlife because of that...but u say samui is good for that.

#6 Posted: 7/1/2009 - 16:36

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

Lanta was deserted last july. many resorts are open but 75% of the restaurants close so there's little to do. You will also find the staff don't make much of an effort to tidy up the beaches in front of their resorts so the place looks very messy. According to a local only 4 resorts clean their beach areas in low season so the place is a junkyard.

#7 Posted: 8/1/2009 - 22:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.