Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Phi Phi Changes

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I went back to Phi Phi in mid April for a few days. Readers who have previously visited Phi Phi may be interested in the changes I noticed since my 2010 stay:

* There is now a 50 baht entrance fee om the pathway just before the 1st Viewpoint.
    * Paradise Resort on Long Beach is now called Phi Phi Blue Sky, Long Beach Bungalows is now Nomads Phi Phi Hotel. Paradise Pearl has added a nice hotel type wing near the western headland. Phi Phi Hill high on the southern headland has closed its cheapest outside bathroom bungalows, adjacent The Beach Resort is building some new bungalows high up the hill which unlike the rest look to not have beach views (so be careful if you are booking this swish joint) - and Maphrao a couple of beaches closer town appears to be now called VK Bungalow.
    *Ao Poh's (lower east coast) Poh Resort has closed. The restaurant is being used as a luncheon buffet stop for daytrip speedboats and the bungalows as staff quarters.
    *Toh Koh Resort on the mid east coast has some new beachside fan bungalows - at 2800 high season! Strewth!

*There is apparently a new direct ferry service to Jum, but only in the busy months. It had shut down by April which is shoulder season.

Not new since 2010 (and some of the above changes might have existed then, but I didn't notice them) but new for people who have been away a bit longer - a 50baht anti-litter fee at the pier on arrival.

And the backpacker old favourite Chongkao which was decimated by the tsunami, has been rebuilt in roughtly the same part of the far western end of the Ton Sai/Loh Dalum spit.

#1 Posted: 3/6/2012 - 08:15

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Crikey - travelfish's html thingy is doing some funny spacing things to the posts.

#2 Posted: 3/6/2012 - 08:16

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

So in summary the island is even more of a ripoff than previously.

#3 Posted: 3/6/2012 - 18:17

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@longbeach HA HA HA

#4 Posted: 3/6/2012 - 20:45

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Well yeah - except if people do their research or look hard there are still a few budget places and others which are relatively good value.
    And mass booking websites can sure squeeze out some good discounts on many flashpacker and better places in shoulder and low season.

I'll always recommend Phi Phi to first time travellers - the landscape/seascape is worth the extra expense and other hassles.
    I'm a multi-returner because I like to plot the changes and it is a good stop-off from Phuket on the way south. I'd much prefer to relax a few days off the aircraft from Australia in non high season on Phi Phi than Phuket.

#5 Posted: 4/6/2012 - 04:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I don't really like the ocean, so none of those places is really working for me. But at least at Phuket there is a nascent salsa scene.

#6 Posted: 16/6/2012 - 07:30

• adampatto

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2011

Hi Tezza,

Whats your pick of the places to stay on Long Beach for a backpacker/flashpacker? Also do you suggest we pre book for early November or just arrive to Long Beach and scope it out?

#7 Posted: 16/6/2012 - 10:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.