Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

VISA TO MYANMAR

• gracetandil

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

Can any of you recommend a hostel in Khao San Road which might be in charge of the Visa to Myanmar? I know it´s personal, but perhaps they can make some arrangements in order to save time. Maybe I am mistaken, I don´t know. And a hostel which could take us from the airport? Thank you.

#1 Posted: 4/6/2012 - 07:51

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

#2 Posted: 4/6/2012 - 08:55

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 197

Good to see they've got the VOA up and running again, hopefully it'll last this time but at $40 for a tourist visa it's a fair bit more than getting it in advance from other countries in the region ($20 in Phnom Penh or Vientiane, around $25 in Bangkok) if you've got the time to wait a few days. However if you're travelling directly from say Europe or the States it's a great option.

gracedantil - if case you aren't from one of the countries that grants VOA, sure there are plenty of agents around Khao San who will assist with your visa but they'll ask around $60-$70 for the privilege - getting it yourself is fairly straightforward and costs 860baht for 3 working days turn around or a same day visa is possible if you have an airline ticket departing within 48 hours (1250 baht). Using an agent doesn't speed up the processing time. Much cheaper even if you get taxis to and from the embassy to take up less of your own time.

#3 Posted: 4/6/2012 - 21:19

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 197

I just realised I was getting myself confused between the supposedly launching soon online e-visa and VOA. Previously VOA was only available to tourists flying directly from from either Cambodia or China or those on a pre-arranged package tour but from this link it looks like they have changed this again! Wonder if this means the government has given up on the e-visa?!

#4 Posted: 4/6/2012 - 21:33

• gracetandil

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

OK, it seems the options are either asking a tour agent around KSR or doing it by myself. as I am from Argentina which is not included in the list. I still have plenty of time ahead so I will wait. Thank you all of you.

#5 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 04:44

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

KSR travel agents are known to be dodgy. Avoid that area.

#6 Posted: 6/6/2012 - 18:39

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

Doing it yourself is a better bet than a KSR travel agent, since all they're saving you is two nice river trips to Sathorn followed by one stop on the Skytrain. Good advice about getting the Visa here:

http://travelhappy.info/thailand/myanmar-visa-in-bangkok-how-to-get-it/

Other people have complained about queues, but there weren't more than three people waiting this morning (a Friday; which means waiting until Tuesday to pick up)

#7 Posted: 15/6/2012 - 04:32

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Let me make sure I've got this right. You are asking about getting a visa to go to Burma, which you want to get on KSR and you're asking it in the Thailand section of Travelfish? OK...

#8 Posted: 15/6/2012 - 04:49

• gracetandil

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

I have read on Travelfish that the best option to get a visa to Myanmar is in Bangkok. That is why I am HERE. Yes. Thank you.

#9 Posted: 15/6/2012 - 05:18

• gracetandil

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

Another question: do you know when are the holidays in Thailand and or Myanmar??? Thank you. And thank you "enigmatic", I read the link you provided.

#10 Posted: 15/6/2012 - 05:31

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The general consensus here is that you don't go to Khao San Road for anything other than a pizaa or a beer - and then maybe not. Certainly not for a business arrangement such as a visa to Burma. I belive Longbeach phrased it best.

#11 Posted: 15/6/2012 - 11:20

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

$60 for a visa heck that's expensive for a short visit.

#12 Posted: 30/5/2013 - 09:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.