Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thong Nai Pan update

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I recently spent some time at Thong Nai Pan.
    The main changes at Thong Nai Pan YAI I noticed:
    *My old favourite accommodation White Wind high on the southern headland has closed down. The land has been bought by Panviman high end resort - at the time of my visit the old bungalows were still there but Panviman was creeping around the headland with some new villas less than 100m away.
    White Wind's rather nice beach bar perched just above beach level was still operating.
    *The path up through White Wind and Panviman to Thong Nai Pan Noi has been blocked thoroughly, not partially as when I last visited.
    *All the old budget favourites seem to have pushed upmarket - places like Candle Hut, Dreamland, Central Cottage now have pools and aircon/hot water - although most can still do less expensive huts.
    *The main street area seems a lot more developed. Most services are available although no banks - there are 3 atms, one outside the Seven 11.

I read a report before leaving that ALL OF THE BEACH at Thong Nai Pan NOI had been taken over by a high end resort. Well this is a bit of an exaggeration, but Anantara Rasanada takes about 60%, a new joint under construction the southern most 20%. The only budget beachside place now is Baan Tapan on the northern most 15% or so. There were more budget huts on the small headland at the north end going over to luxury Santhiya's tiny beach. There is now a good path across this headland for Santhiya guests to easily access the main beach.

A very welcome improvement is that much of the bad sections of the main access road up from the south coast has been paved with only a few rough parts demanding caution. I'm an amateur motorcyclist but I would not hesitate to take a bike to TNP now. One new paved section starts a bit before the intersection of the Than Sadet road and continues right thru to Thong Nai Pan and Noi, a distance of about 6km.

I stayed at Longtail Bungalow, a good value budget/flashpacker joint at the far southern end of TNP Yai beach. Most bungalows are set in a nice garden setting - mine had hot water and was very comfy - 490 in late April, 390 a few days later. Good beachfront restaurant with nice food at the lower end of budget bungalow eats. Efficient friendly staff.

#1 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 05:40

• Advertisement

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

How does it compare to Tanote Bay on Tao?

#2 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 06:58

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Nicer beaches (there are 2 at TNP), more accommodation, about equally busy/laid back, poorer snorkelling, harder to reach off the ferry, diving isn't a big deal.

#3 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 22:50

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Thanks for update Tezza - Thong Nai Pan is a favourite area of mine on KPN. It's good about the roads, although I did enjoy the 4WD trip - in a 4WD mind you, not on a motorbike!

#4 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 22:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.