Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

To rush or not to rush

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

I always advise people not to rush around and try to see too much and on my next trip which starts soon I was thinking 2-3 places only but the thought crossed my mind that maybe I need a backup plan in case I get bored and feel the need to keep moving.

Plan A
    Bkk 6 nights
    Trang 3 nights (fly there stay in town and do a day tour or 2 to islands plus mainland waterfalls etc)
    Krabi 9 nights
    Prachuap 3 nights (bus or train)
    Back to Bkk fly out

(could do this in reverse depending on flight costs/how im feeling)

I could even just chill in Krabi for 12 nights if I wanted but that seems too long. Dont want to visit phi phi or lanta again. The island of jum doesnt interest me.

Plan B
    Take 3 nights off Krabi and add them to Ko Tao (perhaps tanote or shark bay)
    boat to chumpon then up to prachuap-bkk.

Again could go reverse and go bkk- prachuap-tao-krabi-trang then fly to bangkok

Thoughts on this?

So far havent booked anything but will book bangkok 3 n to start and go from there.

#1 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 07:15

• Advertisement

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Surat Thani to Ko Tao
    Night Boat: departs 23:00 – arrives 08:00, costs 500B.
    Songserm Express Boat: departs 08:00 – arrives 14:30, costs 550B.

this worries me. i dont want a restless night on a boat and 6.5 hrs on a day tour is far too long.

#2 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 07:25

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Another option is to stay on Muk for a few nights and skip Tao. Just worried being low season it might be a bit dead but it'll be cheaper then though. Save a long day on ferries/buses.

#3 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 07:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I always advise people to just not put on a timeline. Have a rough plan, and move on when they get bored. You get to what you get to.

#4 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 07:42

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

I hear what you're saying but it's easier to read up on places now before I go. I don't want to be sitting in internet cafes on holidays for hours looking at things and I only have 3 weeks so don't want to waste any time in places I don't like.

#5 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 09:00

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Call me old-fashioned, but this is where printed materials come in very handy. Why don't you print off a bunch of the TF guides for the areas of Thailand that you'll be in/around/near/passing through, and then just "re-cycle" them as you go? There are plenty of places to visit and things to see and do between Trang and PKK.

#6 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 10:31

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

I'l take a guidebook or 2 so have that covered. Printed material is just a rough summary of places. Was looking for more personal comments on places for low season. Rubbertree on Muk told me 800 baht for aircon bungalows, normally about 2000 baht high season. Good price drop. I think 3n there might be in order.

#7 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 18:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Longbeach, I guess I wasn't clear. Put together an itinerary but don't attach a timeline to it. That way you know where you intend to go on your next leg, but you don't know when you are going to go there. You go when you feel like it.

#8 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 21:18

• thaiXplorer

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2012
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 7

the catamaran to tao is only 90 min
    http://www.lomprayah.com/E/route.htm
    and it's the best place to be!
    fb. burnhaard

#9 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 21:50

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

that's the route to chumpon. the route to surat looks to be slow ferry only

#10 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 22:39

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I tend to hit lotsa places over a short period. This comes from having my Thailand trips limited to 3 weeks max by family commitments (a frail older relative) back home. I reckon you should go for plan B. Hell, I'd cut a few nights off Bangkok too (use then to visit somewhere nice on Phangan maybe) but then I don't like big cities.

#11 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 22:43

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

I like Bkk and have some things to do there. Need a filling, see some people etc.

#12 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 22:47

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

i wish they had flights from krabi to chumpon

#13 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 22:48

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Indeed.

However Bangkok Air flies Krabi to Samui. Maybe you could check if Lomprayah's fast catamaran still leaves in the morning from the Mae Nam pier near the airport and if timing is okay for the flight in from Krabi - Lomprayah had a free shuttle from the airport to the pier.

#14 Posted: 6/6/2012 - 04:41

• thaiXplorer

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2012
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 7

hello again

copy this to your browser dest. and ya got ferry routes+time
    http://www.lomprayah.com/E/route.htm
    all the others don't know

#15 Posted: 7/6/2012 - 12:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.