Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Take euros or baht??

• Emma23

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2012

Hello again,

Not sure whther it's best to take Thai Bahts or euros to Thailand this summer. I live in Spain so use euros. Is it better to exchange euros here and take baht or take euros and convert them there or use my card to withdraw from the bank whenever I need money?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 8/6/2012 - 05:41

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Most of the time it's best to use your card to take out baht as and when you need it. That saves you from having to carry about large amounts of cash (and all the risks of possible loss/theft), and it can often work out cheaper as well.

One thing to consider/look into is what card to use, as that can quite drastically affect the fees your own bank will will charge you.

Another thing to be aware of is that all Thai banks charge 150 baht service fee for withdrawals against foreign accounts, so you won't want to take out tiny amounts of cash every day as those charges will quickly add up. Your best bet is probably to take out enough for at least a few days at a time.

#2 Posted: 8/6/2012 - 07:46

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Take whatever you have from home. Baht exchange rate is far greater inside Thailand than out. Super Rich has the best rates but airport rates in Thailand are 10% better than Spain would be.

#3 Posted: 8/6/2012 - 11:43

• thaiXplorer

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2012
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 7

longbeach is master
    my small add is to buy a neck pouch
    you put euros and passport in!
    open a thai bank account(siam city or else)
    and leave 1000 euro in ya pouch
    for emergency...
    that's the way I do!..............bye

#4 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 11:19

• millionario

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2004
    Total reviews: 15

As far as I know, you cannot exchange euros to baht outside Asia, so getting baths from Spain would be an impossible mission.

#5 Posted: 10/6/2012 - 19:54

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

then Millio is nor rightly informed-sure its possible to buy cash THB from many banks (order advance) or at some main airport exhcnages. BUT; as said by about anyone above-it is not wise-the rates are terrible.Some types of Europeans have other veiws on taking cash or not or using bank/cards as the usual wiseguy from USA posting here. in Europe its also completely unnecessary to inform banks you go outlandish-they will react like: why do you bother to tell us that?

#6 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 07:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.