Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok,pattaya and huahin in july mid

• bismoystud

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2011

Dear friends,

I am planning to visit bangkok, pattaya and huahin in july from 10th-20th. Just wanted to know about the rains.Read in some forums that it would be humid and occasional thunder showers. Just wanted to know , if rains would play spoilsport to my plans by being an all day affair daily??

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 8/6/2012 - 23:27

• Advertisement

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Thailand is always humid and sometimes it rains. I don't understand the irrational fear of rain.

#2 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 01:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It's going to likely rain close to daily BUT, those could easily be short showers. Of course, you could have a front come in and it rains for three or four days without break. No way to predict that.

Longbeach - November through Feb it's not humid at all where I live. Just FYI.

#3 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 05:39

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

yes northern thailand excluded but the beaches are all located in humid parts and july isn't the wettest month usually

#4 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 07:34

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"Just wanted to know"
    All you can do is be prepared for some rain - either a little or a lot. July is usually fairly rainy, but sometimes just late afternoon showers, sometimes mornings, but also sometimes all day, otherwise it's just hot and humid. Dec-Feb is usually the driest, but it's still the tropics so no guarantees.

#5 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 09:49

• thaiXplorer

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2012
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 7

you write :I am planning to visit bangkok, pattaya and huahin
    in 10 days, that are 3 days for travelling
    better cancel hua hin and rent a bike in p.
    get a girlfriend and watch the beaches!

#6 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 10:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Thaiexplorer - Bangkok to Pattaya is 2 hours tops. Not hardly a "travel day". Leave at ten in the morning, you can be there by noon and on the beach or chillin' at a bar by one.

I do concede there is some sense in killing Hua Hin , that would eat a travel day. And maybe head a bit further east along the coast. But Hua Hin does have it's own appeal.

#7 Posted: 10/6/2012 - 01:19

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

I'd skip Pattaya and add on Kanchanaburi. Pattaya is a dirty city. If you want whores you can do that in Bangkok.

#8 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 19:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Longbeach
    I am not a fan of Pattaya either. BUT, Pattaya was built as a mecca for hedonism. I stayed with my family there at a five star hotel for three nights for 80 bucks a night. It had a magnificent infinity pool, it had a private beach that was clean as a whistle, and the city itself has every kind of cuisine you can imagine. It's cheaper than Bangkok by a wide margin.

There is a basic line of thought on travelfish that disparages main line tourist destinations that are hedonistic. Pattaya is number one on the list, Phuket is number two. But millions of people go to these destinations for a reason. If Bangkok had it all over Pattaya, everyone would just stay there. I am assuming the OP has done his homework and decided he wants to go there for whatever hedonistic pursuit interests him.

#9 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 22:34

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Pattaya looks a lot better in brochures than it does in reality. I couldn't believe how dirty the city was plus how bad the beach was. Yeah it has resorts and plenty of restaurants but you can find those things elsewhere. Chiang Mai is cheaper than Bangkok also and has some great food options. It doesn't make a lot of sense to do both Pattaya and Hua Hin. HH has nicer beaches, plus international food, bargirls and music venues.

Phuket has much better beaches plus lots of interesting tours and international food.

I can't see any reason to visit Pattaya unless you want to see the freak show that it is.

#10 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 07:03

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Pattaya is much cheaper than HH or Bangkok. Much. And if offers WAY more diversity than HH. Like I said, if hundreds of thousands of tourists go somewhere every year, there's a good reason for it. The top flight hotels in Pattaya are cheap and really nice. In Khon Kaen I stayed at the Pullman, which is probably the nicest hotel in Issan, and it wasn't half as nice as the place I stayed at in Pattaya and the cost was the same. It might not be your cup of tea - like I said it really isn't mine either - but for a lot of people it's a great place (and not just mongers).

#11 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 09:41

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Much cheaper? I don't agree with that. I stayed in a room for 600 baht there and it was sh it. Issan is much cheaper and so is the north.

I paid 350 baht for a better room in the north and 650 baht for a room twice as good in Issan.

Good reason? Whore mongers. The city is full of them. Cheap whores.

Pattaya is a big city on the beach while HH is a town so of course Pattaya has more things. Cities will have that but HH offers far better beaches north and south of the town.

#12 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 09:48

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

#13 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 09:58

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

I'm told Jomtien beach was good 25 yrs ago. Look at it now. What a dive.

http://www.pattayaunlimited.com/2012/03/jomtien-beach.html

#14 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 10:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

The beach at Jomtien doesn't cut it - I agree. But North Pattaya's private hotel beaches, that's a different story. Hotel staff keeps those pretty clean and manicured. At least the one I stayed in. And the reason the top end hotels are cheaper is volume of customers. And you'd be surprised how many famlies are there. I only saw two guys with girls that were obviously in the game. Tons of Chinese, Russian and Korean famlies. I mean a lot. Issan can't hope to compete with that. Like I said, if it was crappy value, people wouldn't go anymore. Pattaya is a place of extremes for sure, but it's got it's plusses.

#15 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 11:38

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

I wouldn't want to hang out with Chinese, Russian and Korean families in a hotel.

#16 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 15:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

And we didn't. There was a group of Koreans, but they were all on another wing. In my wing it was almost all Russians, and they were quiet families who did not socialize with others. My daughter played with one of the little Russian boys in the pool, but the mom and dad had ZERO desire to engage socially with my mother, my wife or I. They weren't friendly, but they didn't bother anyone either.

But the hotel was the best deal for the money I have ever seen - anywhere - ever. The room had a huge picture window about eight meters across by two high looking out over the ocean. Beautiful wood floors. Just a magnificant place. With continental breakfast - less than 80 bucks a night for four of us.

And we ate in an Indian restaraunt on beach road and the food and service were first class for less than ten bucks a meal. And I don't mean some crappy roadside stand either. Nice place with sit down dining, nice ambience...

Pattaya is an ugly city from an architectural standpoint, and a dirty one as you pointed out. But it has some things going for it. Did I mention there's a nice little salsa dance scene there being run by Jojo and Jean from the PI?

#17 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 23:47

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Why don't you go to Samui instead of Pattaya and Hua Hin?

Same same but different (Samui is also a mass tourist destination with plenty of concrete and hookers) but the weather will be better on Ko Samui in July.

You can fly directly there from Bangkok or get an overnight sleeper train (or luxury bus) to Surat Thani and take the morning ferry. Even if you're on a budget, traveling overnight is time efficient so it won't eat into your limited holiday time too much.

#18 Posted: 13/6/2012 - 04:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

It is kind of funny that here this guy is asking about the weather and most of the commentary has been about the destination.

#19 Posted: 13/6/2012 - 06:28

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

What hotel was it Mac?

#20 Posted: 13/6/2012 - 09:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I can't for the life of me remmember the name of it. It's in North Pattaya, and I booked it through Agoda. I wish I could, cause I'd like to go back there. My daughter loved the pool and I loved the room.

#21 Posted: 13/6/2012 - 11:48

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

check your emails for a record of the booking. otherwise look at agoda photos of 5 star resorts and you should remember it

#22 Posted: 13/6/2012 - 18:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I found it - the Garden Cliff Resort and Spa. We had the executive suite booked through Agoda. It could not have been better. Fantastic deal. This was about 18 months ago.

#23 Posted: 14/6/2012 - 04:07

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

#24 Posted: 14/6/2012 - 06:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yeah, you've got to book through Agoda, and do it during the week... I had the executive suite for I think was 86 (it 80 something) a night. Couldn't beat it. Great place too, as long as you aren't looking for companionship with the other guests.

#25 Posted: 14/6/2012 - 23:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

If you compare it to the Pullman in Khaon Kaen (which is a nice hotel) it was better in every measurable (except the restaraunt). And actually a lot better. The infiinity pool was magnificent. It was a great deal. Like I said, Pattaya ain't for everyone. But it does offer a lot in terms of activities - from golfing, to nightlife, to good dancing, to a myriad of other activities. It's just not cultural Thailand that's all.

#26 Posted: 14/6/2012 - 23:34

• bismoystud

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2011

Thanks guys,
    I have decided to cancel out pattaya and add one more day to huahin. Hope that the rain gods help me.

#27 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 03:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Have a great trip. Let us know how it goes.

#28 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 10:21

• Ann80

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

Thank you MADMAC, no i shall be going with friends so i wont be looking for any companions surely:) just a comfortable clean decent hotel is what i am looking for, the rest i will be out exploring thailand anyways :) How many days did you go for? what places did you visit? And What is Huahin famous for?

#29 Posted: 19/6/2012 - 01:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I've never been to Hua Hin, but I've been to Pattaya a few times with my wife and daughter. I go for a nice hotel where my daughter can enjoy a pool (she loves a nice pool), we can enjoy some non-Thai food (I live in provincial Thailand so I like to eat non-Thai food when I can), and I can dance (salsa). Jojo runs the scene out in Pattaya and I like dancing there.

#30 Posted: 19/6/2012 - 04:00

• Ann80

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

Oh lucky you! you get Thai food whenever:D i love Thai food anytime, as much, anywhere but i suppose you wouldn't know of any Thai eatery there? Have you seen Phuket nightlife? i have heard of that too as being popular

#31 Posted: 19/6/2012 - 23:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I haven't been to Phuket as I am not really a beach guy, and Phuket is a long way from where I live (on the border of Laos). Thai food is OK, but not even close to one of my favorites. I much prefer Somali, German, Italian, Arabic and Tex Mex. But Thai food is cheap. That's a big plus. And my wife is a very good cook, so she cooks German and Americana for me. Phket has a very small salsa scene, just developing. I haven't been there, but the salsa community is an incestuous one and we all know each other well. Pattaya is much better right now, Bangkok better still.

#32 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 00:46

• Ann80

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

How about recommendations for excellent Italian cuisine, especially baked chicken cheese pastas, Alferado or alike ? :) What are the top attraction in Bangkok you have come across?

#33 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 01:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

As for parts of the city just to kick around I like the Chinese quarter a lot. I found the older architecture there interesting, the smaller Chinese style temples were cool, and the vibe was fun. I really liked the Jim Thompson house and the house I am building in Yasothon province is being built with a lot of that styling in mind. The Wat across the Chao Praya, whose name escapes me right now, had the tall Chedi like structure with a steep staircase you could climb, was cool I climbed it - great view. My daughter and I really enjoyed the boat tour on the Chao Praya (we saw a crocodile!). For eating, though, Sukhimvite is where it's at. Eveyr kind of restaraunt is there from around the world (except Somali - no Somali restaraunts). Very cosmopolitan dining. My wife loves that aspect of the place. As for Italian Cuisine, I like Spaghetti Amatriciana when I can get it.

#34 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 01:26

• Ann80

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

Hey, many congrats on your home you building:) Oh my God you saw a crocodile! how far was it from you people? what a thrilling and frightening moment! tell me about it! were you people boating?

#35 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 23:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well it wasn't that thrilling. He was only about three feet long. We were in the boat doing the tour. He was about 20 feet away just swimming to wherever. It was kind of cool, as I didn't expect to see a croc in the Chao Praya inside the city... he must have been lost.

#36 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 23:56

• bismoystud

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2011

Hi guys,

All my tickets are booked and my hotel reservations confirmed.I hope to have a wonderful trip.

#37 Posted: 21/6/2012 - 13:01

• Ann80

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

Did the guy supervising the tour tell you its uncommon for crocodiles to be in Chao Praya? well now i am having second thoughts on my boating tour. . . . its kind of scary! Have you done kayaking?

#38 Posted: 22/6/2012 - 00:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

It wasn't a tour, so there was no guy supervising it. There was just a boat driver, and we didn't ask him if crocs were common. People swim in the canals abutting the river (which is where we saw the croc by the way) so if crocs were much of an issue, I don't think they'd be in the water. The boats are large, so even were there large crocs (and I think their presence around Bangkok is pretty rare) they would not be a concern. But I don't think they are common. It wasn't scary at all. You needn't be concerned.

Yes, I have done some kayaking in the States, but not over here.

#39 Posted: 22/6/2012 - 08:51

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Might have been one of those escapees from last year's floods?

#40 Posted: 22/6/2012 - 14:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I don't know. I would think probably. I think Crocs used to be indigenous to the river (I read that somewhere) but where erradicated by hunting. At any rate, I think they are rare there now and it's not something to be concerned about from a safety standpoint.

#41 Posted: 22/6/2012 - 23:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.