Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Mountains/wilderness not far from Bangkok?

• Kahve

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2012

Hi all,
    I am flying into bangkok in a few weeks and will be staying for two weeks total. My idea is to spend the second week down south on an island/beach, perhaps Ko Tao as it sounds nice for relaxing, snorkeling, etc. However, i would really like to see some wilderness areas and mountains if possible. As I'll spend the first 2 or so days in Bangkok, this only leaves me 3-4 days, so I don't think it's enough time to go waaay north. Are there some areas that are a shorter distance from Bangkok, where I could stay as a base camp and do some day trip, hikes etc? I was reading about Kanchanaburi--is this a good choice for this period of time? Thanks for any insight!

#1 Posted: 14/6/2012 - 15:26

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I remember reading up on a national park to the east of Bangkok (heading into the Issan area) when I was looking at heading up that way but can't remember the name. I tried a quick google and came up with this site that might be useful: http://www.guidetothailand.com/map-thailand/map-natpark.php

I'm sure some far more knowledgeable people will pop in here soon to give you more practical info!

#2 Posted: 14/6/2012 - 18:00

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

if you are heading down to the islands you can take a side trip to khao sok national park which is approx 2 hours drive from the port of suratthani (gateway to the gulf islands)

#3 Posted: 15/6/2012 - 06:53

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Khao Yai national park is a great one 3 hours (by train or bus) northeast of Bangkok. It's tricky to do independently without renting a car, but I've heard good things about the Greenleaf guesthouse and tours of the park (they have a website, google it if you're interested). You can camp in the park and hike around the trails near the campground (you'd have to take a taxi from Pak Chong town to get there), but there are no vehicles shuttling travelers around the park.

#4 Posted: 15/6/2012 - 09:10

• Kahve

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2012

Thanks a lot all--Khao Yai looks really great and could be just what we're looking for. Limited time means we might have to do a tour...but these look nice anyway.

#5 Posted: 16/6/2012 - 11:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.