Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

advise needed

• muskey

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hello to everyone. My daughter is in the middle of alot of travelling around europe and is planning on seeing parts of asia. I've advised her to go to the beautiful 'phi phi' islands and koh phangan. She's sensible, but still likes to party.... are those full moon parties safe enough? Do you get arseholes there intent on spoilling it for others? Just a caring dad who wants to look out for his daughter so any advise will be greatful.

#1 Posted: 17/6/2012 - 20:38

• Advertisement

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

The answer to both of your questions is yes.

The arseholes spoiling it for others are for the most part the same obnoxious drunks they'll encounter in city centre bars back at home plus a few pickpockets in the really big moon-related parties on KPN.

The level of safety depends on how your daughters react when offered large, deceptive quantities of alcohol at relatively cheap prices.

#2 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 09:39

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

"She's sensible, but still likes to party.."

You have supplied your own answer. There are arseholes the world over at similar events - no doubt she has had experience.

#3 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 22:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would advise my daughter not to be going to events like this alone. If she has a group of friends, real friends not some guys she met last week on Khao San Road, fine. They can look out for each other. But if she's alone... there's no one to watch your back.

#4 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 23:04

• muskey

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Just want to say thanks to those who replyed to my question. I've had advise off you before madmac... you seem pretty clued up on lifestyles and cultures in and around asia. I myself am going travelling soon, my plans changes on a daily basis because of this website. I read about a place through peoples travels and straight away im hooked. Then i read about somewhere else and it's all changed again. At the moment im thinking about a few days in singapore purely because l've seen pictures of a sky bar called 'one altitude'.. the highest open air bar in the world. Im scared of heights, yet being up there with those views just makes me happy.

#5 Posted: 19/6/2012 - 16:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I like Thailand because of it's live and let live attitude towards us in particular. for me it's less about where in Thailand you are though. I can chill just about anywhere and be pretty content (although Pattaya wears on me quickly - it's like the whole place is on steroids).

#6 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 00:59

• muskey

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Madmac.. are you as mad as your name suggest? Im very fond of patong in phuket, but in low season when all the lunatics are'nt there. I fell in love with thailand about 4 years ago when i first visited... so many smiling faces from people who seem to have nothing. My first stay was in a hotel called 'the merlin beach resort'in the tri trang area, what an hotel!! Have you heard of it 'madmac'? Every evening id watch the sunset before heading off for a good few beers... oh how i long to be back there madmac.

#7 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 16:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Am I as mad as the name would imply? I don't think so. I think I see things with a clarity most people lack. But then, most crazy people think that way. The moniker was bestowed upon me by others, so maybe.

I don't know the location you're talking about, as I've never been to any sea side location in Thailand save Pattaya, and that seldom. I am an Issan guy all the way. But I do appreciate your point of chillin' with a beer and watching the world go by without a care for a little while. I was driving on the highway between Yaso and Amnat Charoen when I stopped to visit I guy I know named Arno. Arno is a spry little guy, well into his eighties, who was a tank gunner with the Wehrmacht in WW II. He's enjoyable to talk to and helps me keep my German current. We would sit at this little roadside restaraunt, drink a beer under the shade of a Bote tree. After a while I'd hop on my bike and take a nice ride. I like that aspect of living here a lot.

#8 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 21:29

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Nice

#9 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 02:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Saigon to Hanoi Nov. advise needed. ... By gdansk on 19 Sep 2010 2 1724 23 Sep 2010
ANNYONE INS KO SAN ROAD IN COUP? ADVISE NEEDED ... By charlottehessey on 20 Sep 2006 1 1671 20 Sep 2006
Route advise needed: from Hanoi to Bangkok ... By Leonie1991 on 5 Jun 2011 13 11156 7 Jun 2011
Advise needed on our itinerary thru Tailand with young kids ... By 28roses on 18 Jan 2011 3 3065 11 Feb 2011