Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

1st time female traveler to Chiang Mai alone - is it safe?

• warmicon

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012
    Location Malaysia

It's my first time traveling outside of the country alone. Just wondering if its safe. I was feeling okay about it until one of my male friends said "Are you sure? It's not worth it if something bad happens."

I'm going to a rural area in Chiang Mai (have to hop on a truck for 2 hours ride) to a farm of some sort from Wararot Market. Is that going to be safe?

Now I'm feeling a little unsure because of my friend's concern.

#1 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 10:46

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Chiang Mai is as safe as any other medium-size Southeast Asian city (safer than their counterparts in Europe and the US). Just stay away from druggies and drunk Thai guys in the middle of the night, use common sense, be careful on the roads, etc. Motorbikes are probably the most dangerous thing, but that's true for all of Thailand. Northern Thais are mostly gentle kind people but give them a motorbike and they go kinda brainless. What farm are you going to and do you know anyone there? Is it a reputable operation? Things to consider.

#2 Posted: 19/6/2012 - 01:03

• IslaViewRes-
    Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2012

You will have a unique Experience in the rural Parts of Thailand - what you need to know:

Etiquette is very important to Thais, and though they might be more tolerant of foreigners visiting their country, knowing a few important dos and don’ts will certainly make it much easier during your stay in Thailand. Thai people are polite and non-aggressive by nature and expect the same of others - they will seldom display their displeasure with your rude behaviour, but you could be getting yourself into a troubled situation if you disrespect a few important aspects of their culture.
    The Thai are a proud nation of people with a long history and complex hierarchal structure of status. Starting with the Royal family and percolating down, everyone in Thailand knows and respects their place in society. A polite Thai (which is most of them) will usually immediately identify whether another is of higher status than them (usually deemed by age or wealth) and initiate the wai - a submissive and graceful bringing together of the hands to the chest or beneath the nose (to show respect). Even on a social level, they will refer to their elders as pii (older sibling). In fact social grace is paramount and the formal suffix kha (female) and khrap (male) is added to the end of all sentences when addressing strangers, employers/employees or elders.

Hope this helps you a bit....

#3 Posted: 3/7/2012 - 22:50

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

to my captain namesake:
    Common sense-that is exactly what all those young girls, grown up in a nanny-state in the west, completely lack-shielded from geting it by anyone around. That is something you gain by experience and growing older.to the lecture of
    IVR: do NOT as a westerner start a wai-only -in some cases- respond with it. add kha/khrap only when speaking proper Thai-highly unlikely for some ignorant newbie.

#4 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 04:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Solo Female Traveler ... By DawgsnSaints12 on 24 Jan 2012 2 2435 28 Apr 2013
27 y/o female solo traveler Oct 18-Dec 18 ... By Bevatron on 2 Oct 2010 0 2013 2 Oct 2010
is cambodia safe for a female traveller ? ... By katherinevalentine on 2 May 2008 0 4386 2 May 2008
Safe for Solo Female traveller? ... By pollitoriquito on 1 Jul 2012 5 2904 10 Sep 2012
Female travelling alone in Indonesia-safe or not? ... By ElaineMcG on 24 Nov 2010 3 7370 17 Jan 2011
Advice for a solo female traveler? ... By XeniaC on 2 Aug 2012 4 4475 12 Aug 2012
Solo female traveler with questions! ... By adbeats06 on 23 Oct 2013 13 1152 25 Oct 2013
Is it safe in Battambang for single female traveller? ... By orionarrow on 30 Dec 2008 6 5730 5 Nov 2010
Solo Female/26 Traveler Looking for Travel Friends ... By LeaTravels on 6 Nov 2013 29 2222 17 May 2014
Solo Female Traveler Looking for Travel Friends! ... By JDavie on 23 Apr 2013 0 1213 23 Apr 2013