Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First time travelling to Thailand tomorrow....anything else I should have done?

• jeffkenna

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2012

Staying for 3 weeks. Landing in bangkok. Few days there, then up to the North for a week to check out various places. Then down South to hop a few islands, Tao, Phangnan (maybe catch the full-moon party), PhiPhi then head to the Khao Sok National Park for a few days, before heading back to Bangkok for return flight.

All we've pre-booked is our hotel for first few nights in Bangkok, and the night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai on a 3rd night. Other than that we just have a rough plan of the areas we want to visit, a list of recommended accommodation, and details on how to get from A to B to C ect.

I imagine with it being the low season most accommodation can be sorted a few days before arriving, or even just pay on entry. That way it keeps us flexible date-wise, and we get the fun of looking around at various beach huts ect and picking the best. This seems to be confirmed with the little research I've done on line. But I've never been anywhere like Thailand before, so please correct me if I'm being stupid leaving it until we get there.

Also, I'm wary of trusting a long journey train for our final trip back from the islands to Bangkok. I don't want us missing our return flight. So would anyone suggest getting a flight back from the islands? It seems to be about £25 per person one way. How much more expensive and reliable is this compared to the train?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 17:14

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I always recommend people get back to Bangkok at least a day before your flight in case you run into transportation problems. Keeps the stress down, which is the name of the game.

#2 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 20:48

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

You may want to rethink Phi Phi due to the weather and just stick with Koh Tao and Koh Phangan where the monsoon will not start until October.

#3 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 21:12

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

I would do Khao Sok NP before you visit the islands. That way you can chill out loads before you fly back to BKK from Samui/Surat.

#4 Posted: 21/6/2012 - 07:02

• Morlandsto

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2011
    Location Norway

I think it's good advice to stay away from Phi Phi nowadays, especially concidering the last day's news - http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phi-phi-deaths-riddle-latest-canadian-sisters-autopsied-results-weeks-16188/

The weather is far better on the east coast this time of year, so I would go for Koh Phangan/Samui/Tao if I were you. There's usually no reason for booking accommodation in advance; plans tend to change, and it's nice to have the freedom to stay as long as you want, or to move on to other places when you like to.

What me and my friends usually do, is to book the first night on a new place in advance, and then take it day by day when we've arrived. The images online also tend to lie a bit. www.tripadvisor.com can usually send you in the direction of the best hotels :)

The train from Surat Thani or Chumpon is a long stretch - I would rather recommend you to take a flight. The first class seats on the train isn't all that much cheaper than a plane ticket from Surat Thani. Chek skyscanner.net to get the best deals.

One of my friends are heading to a national park in Kanchanaburi , which is highly recommended. I've never been myself, but it's supposed to be amazing. It's an option to Khao Sok, since Kanchanaburi is just a 3 hours busride from Bangkok.

Hope you'll have a lovely first time in Thailand!

#5 Posted: 21/6/2012 - 07:29

• pittz

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2012

Hey,
    as i read the beginning it seemed that it`s a copy of ours. w`re land in Thailand on the 26.06. 2 days there, then Katchamburi / ayuthaiya and the up up Chiang Mai, then fly down South. (26 days total)

We didnt book anything, we`ll book as we travel so we can see the place we want to stay.Pack light, u`ll buy all u need on Bangkok in the 1st day (and cheaper)

#6 Posted: 21/6/2012 - 13:40

• Mike89

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

The train is alright, and kind of enjoyable (in my opinion).

But if you're on a deadline, better to fly. Our train from Surat Thani to Bangkok was delayed by 4 hours... delayed DEPARTING... then further delays during the trip.

#7 Posted: 21/6/2012 - 22:33

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

"First time travelling to Thailand tomorrow....anything else I should have done?" - Posted on this forum at least 2 months ago looking for info and suggestions.

#8 Posted: 21/6/2012 - 23:02

• pedroander

Joined Travelfish
    28th May, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi. We are in the area at the moment. The trains in Thailand are usually late slow and bumpy. First class was booked out so second class sleepers it was. Sure it was better than sitting up. We were 2 hours late getting to Surin from Bangkok. Pity for the couple who had a bus trip to Laos booked from Ubon close to when they were supposed to arrive. We often wonder if they made it on time. Other posters have said also be flexible so dont book too much and travel light. Peter

#9 Posted: 23/6/2012 - 10:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Other posters have said also be flexible so dont book too much and travel light."

This is the ticket. Expecting things to be on time and spending money around that expectation is a bad idea and a good way to add stress to your vacation.

#10 Posted: 26/6/2012 - 04:57

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
travelling thailand nov/dec time solo! ... By alexandra77 on 26 May 2013 43 3140 19 Jul 2014
First time travelling to Thailand - goind for 6 months- starting in Bangkok! ... By Kitty78 on 11 Jul 2008 44 10443 10 Jun 2009