Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Offering free accommodation in exchange for some help in Koh Samui

• samuiintern

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2012
    Location Thailand

My wife and I recently moved to Koh Samui in order to give me a chance to develop my business (I own a number of websites and also help other webmasters out with their online marketing.)

We could really use some help with the work and would be interested in having some travellers coming to stay with us to help with blogging, social media and other tasks. In return for 5 hours a day work (Monday to Friday with the weekends off) we would offer free accommodation in a nice house in Bangrak with air conditioning, fast internet, tv (with satellite channels) and a fully stocked kitchen. The house is furnished to western standards.

I really wanted to post on this forum to find out how much interest there would be from travellers to come and work with us for a minimum of four weeks. As well as a chance to get free accommodation on a beautiful tropical island, this is also an opportunity to get to learn a new skill (online marketing) which could be really helpful for finding a job after a long trip or a gap year.

Mods: I haven’t included my email address as I am not sure about the rules of the forum – I would like to if that would be ok though?

Thanks,

Tom

#1 Posted: 22/6/2012 - 22:10

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi Tom - I'll help you out by bumping your post!

This is exactly the sort of thing that would be of interest to me once I pack my bag and hit the road next year - and I am sure there will be plenty of others that would be interested. Have you considered listing on sites such as Workaway - sites which cater for this exact sort of thing?

I'd also suggest you enable Private Messaging so that people can contact you. I don't think they would mind if you put your email address on your post - but PM is probably a better option anyhow. You can do this in the Member Centre - enable PM and set your profile to 'public'. You'll know it's enabled when you see the people 'Private Message' hyperlink under your user name in one of your posts.

#2 Posted: 23/6/2012 - 22:32

• samuiintern

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2012
    Location Thailand

Thanks Lizzy. I have just enabled private messaging - I agree that is probably better than email too.

I think registering for Workaway is a great idea, thanks for the tip. The one thing I wonder about though is how many people would expect to find a project like ours on that sort of site? I have always thought that sites like Workaway and Helpx are for woofing type jobs which don't suit everybody. I will definitely look into it though!

I'm really glad to hear that our project would be of interest to you when you are travelling next year - feel free to get in touch when you are coming to Thailand :)

Cheers,

Tom

#3 Posted: 23/6/2012 - 22:44

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

When I first heard about Workaway (only a few months ago), I was browsing through the 'jobs' to see the sort of stuff on offer, and was surprised by the variety. It's not just traditional 'woofing'. The first one to really grab my attention was actually something very similar to what you are offering, but in Turkey. It was the trigger for me to seriously consider my options for long-term travelling.

I love the idea of travelling/ moving around for a few months, then basing myself somewhere for a few months as a chance to get to know an area better, earn some $ (or save money as the case may be!).

So.. the timing is not right, but the concept is perfect! Maybe next year .. I'll be in touch!

#4 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 00:53

• caseyre

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2012
    Location Ireland

Hi Tom,

My name is Regina. Your project sounds like the kind thing i'd apply for when i go travelling. Its sounds very interesting and i'd be well up for it, the only problem is i don't anticipate going til dec or even jan because of the job that im in at the moment and when i do head over that way, il be travelling with my boyfriend so it would be both of us that would be interested. Im currently working with insurance but online marketing would be an interesting change, i dont have any experience in this though. When is it that you are lookin for people, is it in the next few months? Like i said i would be extremely interested if you could give me more details on the project!

Look forward to hearing from you,

Gina

#5 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 11:00

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

This is a fabulous concept,just wish I'd got in on it earlier.damn, I could kick myself.Anyway I've got a pile of washing up and laundry needs doing so I'm offering free accomm on my rattan mat complete with lovely view of the Phnom Penh skyline (we got monkeys)
    All I require of the lucky person is they know how to keep the old place ship-shape.A mere 5 hours a day should do it and in return I offer bloody good Russian food.

#6 Posted: 25/6/2012 - 20:34

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Sorry, there's no appeal to me with that one, sayadian. One of the reason the Samui offer appeals is that there is the potential to learn a new skill (which in turn, has the potential to earn me income in future). Looking after your dirty undies aint so appealing! But I'm sure there will be someone else out there who would appreciate the free accom and awesome Russian food in return for a few hours of housekeeping.

#7 Posted: 25/6/2012 - 20:43

• samuiintern

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2012
    Location Thailand

If I'm honest I'm not too up for the housekeeping, but I do really like Russian food :)

#8 Posted: 25/6/2012 - 20:45

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 212

Lizzy - first I've heard about Workaway too. Looks really interesting - could have done with finding out about it 4 years ago!
    Tom - I agree and think there will definitely be travellers this kind of thing will appeal to. Same question as Regina - do you anticipate needing people in the short term or on an ongoing basis?

#9 Posted: 26/6/2012 - 06:05

• Dannyzona12

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2012

Hi Tom,
    This sounds great! I'd like to take up your offer, only problem is that I won't be available until next year after I graduate. If the offer is still open then I'd love to come and help you out. Could I leave my email with you, so you can contact me nearer the time if you're still interested in having me?

#10 Posted: 26/6/2012 - 15:32

• Advertisement

• samuiintern

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2012
    Location Thailand

Hi Danny,

This is far too far in advance for us to consider people, you're talking around a years time. If you're still interested you can contact us through HelpX or workaway, just create a profile.

Thanks
    Gev

#11 Posted: 26/6/2012 - 20:23

• samuiintern

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2012
    Location Thailand

A big thank you to everyone who has got in touch with us about our help exchange project. We are so pleased to have received so much positive feedback from people. However we have had such huge numbers of people contact us we can't accept anymore offers for July, but we will be looking for people who are interested to come in August.

Thank you so much
    Gev

#12 Posted: 27/6/2012 - 21:54

• LaniWaly

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2012

Hello Tom,
    You ad is just made for me: French national, moving to Samui to take Thai classes, past yrs I have been working in your field, editing and translating documents (from/into French, German, English, Italian, Spanish and sometimes Dutch). I'm coming to Samui around Aug.15th, maybe we can correspond a little and meet then?
    regards,
    Waly
    laniwaly.gouverneur[at]gmail.com

#13 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 04:29

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

25 hrs a week work for accommodation. A week's accomodation in Thailand is only worth $200 or so plus food takes it up to $300. So it's $12/hr and you get to see 1 island only. I'd rather have a real holiday. I bet people want to drop out after a week.

#14 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 09:28

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It's not just about the money and free accommodation. Sometimes it's about just slowing down and hanging out in one area for a month or so. Maybe getting to know some locals that live near by. For some, it's an opportunity to learn new skills (or further develop them). Maybe it's a chance to slow down the spending for a bit while still having the opportunity to check Samui out.

It may not be for you - but it could suit others. Everyone has their own motivations.

#15 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 14:59

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

I'm sure you'd regret murder. Life quotes are always so flawed.

#16 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 19:36

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

And you miss the point.

#17 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 20:29

• samuiintern

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2012
    Location Thailand

Hi Lizzy, thanks for the support. I couldn’t have put it better myself, and our 12 happy volunteers so far seem to have agreed with you. A few people have asked in the forum if this is an opportunity we plan on offering on a long-term basis. We have met some really awesome people doing this, so we would love to continue doing it as long as we are living somewhere gorgeous where people want to come visit us. When we go back to England next year there may be a little less interest!

Longbeach – I was going to come back with a sensible response to your first post, but after your second I have no idea what you are on about. You seem a bit of a muppet to be honest. If it helps, you certainly wouldn’t be welcome to visit us in Samui so feel free to find another thread to crayon all over [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Tom

#18 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 20:40

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

His/her second post refers to the sentence in my signature. It wasn't immediately clear to me either.

There are some people that like to just stir things up unnecessarily, me thinks.

12 volunteers - wow! I didn't realise you were looking for so many. Please don't head back to England too soon!

#19 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 20:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Tip for currency exchange in Koh Samui ... By brijesh_82 on 25 May 2011 0 2544 25 May 2011
Hostel exchange in Bangkok - voluntary work in return for a free bed ... By Eldwyer90 on 21 Aug 2014 2 437 21 Aug 2014