Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Can I get some feedback on why my post was deleted?

Posted by samuiintern on 23/6/2012 at 04:31

I added a post to Travelfish this morning asking for some advice. I am looking to invite travellers to work with me in Koh Samui in exchange for accommodation. I won't duplicate my previous post, but in a nutshell I own several websites and I want some help with blogging.

I simply wanted to establish whether this was likely to be of interest to people, or whether I was wasting my time exploring this idea. I thought that a site I have used many times myself planning travel in South East Asia would be a logical place to do that.

The message I got was that my post was either a duplicate or spam and so had been deleted. Since I didn't post twice presumably it was classed as spam.

My question is; what is spammy about asking if volunteering for accommodation is likely to appeal to travellers in Thailand? I didn't drop any links and politely asked permission of the moderator to include my email address should anyone be interested. My post was a simple question related to travel in Koh Samui - if anything it would surely add to the forum as if volunteering for accommodation does appeal to people then they can find an opportunity to do so here on Travelfish?

I'd appreciate feedback to make sure I stay within the rules of the site in future. I don't think of myself as a spammer, and I'm keen that others don't either!

Cheers,

Tom

#1 samuiintern has been a member since 22/6/2012. Location: Thailand. Posts: 8

Posted by altmtl on 23/6/2012 at 06:09

I'll be around in Jan - March. if your offer still stands, but you should enable your private message option.

#2 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/6/2012 at 07:35 admin

It wasn't deleted - was flagged automatically as spam. I've unspammed it. Pls use the private messaging so people can contact you about it.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by altmtl on 23/6/2012 at 07:48

Personally I think the private message option should be enabled by default, instead of the other way around, and most people don't even listen when you ask them to enable it in order to have private conversations... just saying - :)

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by busylizzy on 23/6/2012 at 20:04

I think the process of enabling PM is confusing, too. it's a two-step process and many don't seem to get it. I've had to a plain a couple of times to people that they haven't enabled if when they thought that they had.

Just saying... :-)

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by samuiintern on 23/6/2012 at 22:48

Hi guys,

Firstly thanks for reinstating my post, that is much appreciated! I am pretty sure I have successfully enabled private messaging after a little guidance from Lizzy on my other thread :)

Altmtl, definitely do get in touch with me if you are in Samui early next year - that's great!

Tom

#6 samuiintern has been a member since 22/6/2012. Location: Thailand. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.