Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Kanchanaburi to trang/krabi

• CraigMelson

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2012

Hey all,

I'm currently staying in kanchanaburi but want to head south in a couple of days to either krabi or trang. Just a couple of questions.

Which is better? I know trang is inland but awesome for islands and krabi is good for beaches, but what are pros and cons for both. Keen to avoid Phuket and stupid number of people.

Secondly how do I get south from here? There is a train station that heads south, but can't find timetables out of kanchanaburi. Do I need to change at BKK or is there a direct route?

#1 Posted: 23/6/2012 - 08:57

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Craig,

No need to go back to Bangkok. You can go to Nakhon Pathom either by bus or by train, then continue south on the train from there to either Trang (http://www.railway.co.th/checktime/checktime.asp?lenguage=Eng) or hop off at Surat Thani and get onto a bus if you want to go to Krabi.

Here's the site for the State Railway ... http://www.railway.co.th/home/default.asp?lenguage=Eng

If you want your ticket ahead of time, you can sort it out at the train station in Kanchanaburi.

#2 Posted: 23/6/2012 - 09:55

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I was in Kanchanaburi a couple of months ago - there were heaps of signs up on the street and at accommodation travel desks advertising minibuses to Hua Hin and places nearby. From there you can grab a train or bus to one of your destinations.

Krabi or Trang islands?
    Well, having spent Junes/Julies at both I'd go for Krabi. Thing is this time of year the Trang islands are dead - my visit on Kradan I was the only farang. My stay on Muk, I was the only person at Charlie. There were 3 other dudes on the beach.
    I gotta say too that the Trang islands are expensive - the blokes who run the resorts don't seem to grasp the concept of low season (unless you are booking on Agoda etc for more upmarket joints - Agoda seems to straighten them out).
    Krabi will have more people, Railay area has unsurpassed landscape/seascape and the accommodation places mostly seem to get low season concept more.
    Points in favour of Trang islands - you can get a train directly to Trang. Then again, it's a hell of a lot easier accessing Railay/Ton Sai and especially Ao Nang from Krabi bus station than the Trang islands from Krabi railway station. Or the Trang bus station.

Also Kradan and Ngai in the Trang island have eastwards facing beaches which tend to be sheltered on those 20-25% of days when the westerlies of wet season get a bit blustery.

I'd do Krabi. Particularly if I'd not seen Railay before.

#3 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 02:35

• CraigMelson

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2012

Thanks sooo much for your help guys, Krabi it is than! Never been to Ao Nang before or Rai Ley, so should be great.,

#4 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 11:39

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

as Krabi is also not on the rails-and if you do not belong to that train;-loving select group, then go like this>Fast bus to BKK/Sai Thai in the afternoon-go up to tickets-find the BLUE boths (orange is for 2nd class) or the big BoKoSo (the socall ''government'' bus) and buy ticket-choice of at least 5 companies and many departures. NO-you wont seen anything of BKk proper, and in Sai Thai there wll be dozens of other bekepkkers to chat with-alkl done the same. Forghet about bus-train-bus combo's-more costly and much more prone to delays and much longer travel time.

#5 Posted: 25/6/2012 - 06:36

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

I just did Trang and it was great. The islands are quiet but you can stay in Trang town and do tours. Island tour plus emerald lagoon then do a mainland tour to Tham Lae Khao Kob which is the best cave I've done in Thailand - enter via paddle boat on canal, walk some then go 600m laying down flat as the roof of the cave goes 3 inches to 2 feet above your head. Incredible experience. Was the only farang there.

Trang night market frid-sunday is awesome too. Great seafood.

3 nights trang
    7 nights krabi

good mix. flights to trang are cheap

#6 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 04:38

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

#7 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 04:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Krabi up to Kanchanaburi ... By skinnylatte on 23 Feb 2007 2 2637 23 Feb 2007
Kanchanaburi to Trang via train, advice needed! ... By Barnsey on 18 Jan 2007 2 2657 25 Jan 2007