Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Paludrine for Malaria?

• diliev

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2012

Hi Folks,

I am going to Thailand, Cambodia(Angkor Wat and Phom Penn) and Vietnam (Saigon, Mekong river)

I decided to take Paludrine (I think another name is Proguanil) for Malaria precautions. Does anyone have any feedback about it?

Is there any restrictions in terms of how many tablets I can carry with me?

Thanks
    Diyan

#1 Posted: 25/6/2012 - 10:01

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Have you purchased this stuff already? I had to look this up. From what I read this stuff has been around since 1944. Just a guess, I don't think you have a problem providing you have this in the original containers with the doctors name and pharmacy clearly printed on the container. You just don't want to travel around Asia with a baggie full of miscellaneous unidentified pills! You wouldn't need hundreds of extra pills past the duration of your holiday too.

If you have NOT purchased this item yet check with your doctor to see if you can use doxycycline. Doxy can be purchased over the counter without any prescription at Thai pharmacies. Price for doxy in Thailand runs from around 4 baht per capsule to 10 baht per capsule. Price depends on where it is made.

If you purchase any meds from a Thai pharmacy check the expiration date of the pills. There is always a data sheet printed in several languages you can check. I prefer to buy meds from some of the bigger pharmacies like Boots, Watsons and maybe probably from a supermarket pharmacy.

#2 Posted: 27/6/2012 - 20:37

• ElDavido90

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

I took chloroquine and proguanil when in Peru, my lasting memory is 1 pill ever day + 1 extra pill every 5 (or 7, I cant quite remember) is a pain in the backside! Lot's of other people I was with had weekly pills. To say I was jealous is an understatement. If you are the type of person who get's into routines easily then I guess my problem doesn't really matter.

#3 Posted: 1/7/2012 - 10:27

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I don't take anti-malarials anymore when I visit SEA, waste of $$$ and not 100% effective

#4 Posted: 3/7/2012 - 02:23

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Waste of money and they can make you sick. Malaria isnt that common in SEA these days, unless you spent large amounts of time in the jungle dont need pills.

#5 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 10:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Paludrine for Malaria? ... By diliev on 25 Jun 2012 1 1951 25 Jun 2012
Paludrine for Malaria? ... By diliev on 25 Jun 2012 0 2198 25 Jun 2012