Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Paludrine for Malaria?

Posted by diliev on 25/6/2012 at 10:01

Hi Folks,

I am going to Thailand, Cambodia(Angkor Wat and Phom Penn) and Vietnam (Saigon, Mekong river)

I decided to take Paludrine (I think another name is Proguanil) for Malaria precautions. Does anyone have any feedback about it?

Is there any restrictions in terms of how many tablets I can carry with me?

Thanks
Diyan

#1 diliev has been a member since 25/6/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by sirhalberd on 27/6/2012 at 20:37

Have you purchased this stuff already? I had to look this up. From what I read this stuff has been around since 1944. Just a guess, I don't think you have a problem providing you have this in the original containers with the doctors name and pharmacy clearly printed on the container. You just don't want to travel around Asia with a baggie full of miscellaneous unidentified pills! You wouldn't need hundreds of extra pills past the duration of your holiday too.

If you have NOT purchased this item yet check with your doctor to see if you can use doxycycline. Doxy can be purchased over the counter without any prescription at Thai pharmacies. Price for doxy in Thailand runs from around 4 baht per capsule to 10 baht per capsule. Price depends on where it is made.

If you purchase any meds from a Thai pharmacy check the expiration date of the pills. There is always a data sheet printed in several languages you can check. I prefer to buy meds from some of the bigger pharmacies like Boots, Watsons and maybe probably from a supermarket pharmacy.

#2 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295

Posted by ElDavido90 on 1/7/2012 at 10:27

I took chloroquine and proguanil when in Peru, my lasting memory is 1 pill ever day + 1 extra pill every 5 (or 7, I cant quite remember) is a pain in the backside! Lot's of other people I was with had weekly pills. To say I was jealous is an understatement. If you are the type of person who get's into routines easily then I guess my problem doesn't really matter.

#3 ElDavido90 has been a member since 1/7/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 2
 Website 

Posted by altmtl on 3/7/2012 at 02:23

I don't take anti-malarials anymore when I visit SEA, waste of $$$ and not 100% effective

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by longbeach on 9/7/2012 at 10:14

Waste of money and they can make you sick. Malaria isnt that common in SEA these days, unless you spent large amounts of time in the jungle dont need pills.

#5 longbeach has been a member since 28/3/2012. Posts: 307

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.