Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Beer in Bangkok

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

We arrive at BKK at 1 20 am after 24 hours of travel. We are staying in Khoa San Road. We will be dying for a beer after that long journey. What are our chances of procuring a cold one or two at that early hour?

#1 Posted: 5/7/2012 - 10:01

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

You joking that shitehole operates 24/7 and with the added incentive of a more than average chance of getting robbed. Be careful

#2 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 00:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Sayadian you're not going to get robbed at gunpoint or anything. I'll admit KSR blows, but it's not dangerous like the South Bronx is dangerous.

NY
    Why are you going to KSR? That place has really run it's course and it's just freak show central now. Of all the places you could stay in Bangkok, KSR sucks the absolute most. OK, maybe Patpong and Nana... maybe.

#3 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 02:23

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Who mentioned firearms? Just been a case of a girl grabbing the guys balls while grabbing his phone with the other hand.KSR is lowlife.I'm 200 metres from there now.

#4 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 06:42

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009

Maybe one of you could answer my original question.

#5 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 13:23

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'that shitehole operates 24/7'

There's your answer; it never closes.

#6 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 19:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Tim, Sayadian did answer your original question in his first post. Yes, it's open 24/7. You will be able to find a beer.

#7 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 22:45

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

You'll be longing for a shower and a sleep after 24 hrs on the road. Waste of time going to a bar. Do that the next night.

#8 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 04:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"You'll be longing for a shower and a sleep after 24 hrs on the road. Waste of time going to a bar. Do that the next night"

Longbeach, while I would agree with you, for some people a beer and bar is the equivelent of a shower and some sleep.

#9 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 06:34

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009

I do not need a bar. A beer in my room would meet my needs.

#10 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 06:49

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

More difficult, all the shops are closed you'll need a bar.

#11 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 07:51

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

You can buy beer in 7/11s - much cheaper than bars. I rarely drink in bars because normally thai bars are crap. Unless you can find a nice beach bar or some live music or major sports event to watch in a bar.

#12 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 09:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I rarely drink in bars because normally thai bars are crap."

We do have a different view of Thailand. I like Thai bars for the most part.

"You can buy beer in 7/11s - much cheaper than bars."

For sure. But most people go to bars to socialize while they drink. Grabbing beers and heading back to the room... short on the social end.

#13 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 13:38

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Tim,

You'll be able to get what you want at one of the 7-11's if nothing else appears to be open. They seem to be everywhere these days.

If you're coming into the area by cab, you might want to ask your driver to stop somewhere (where you can pick some up) so you won't have to go back out again once you're in your room. There are other options besides 7-11's. Night markets, food stalls and restaurants are all possibilities. Your cab driver will know.

Also, guest houses and some of the hotels also have beer available.

(Hope that helps)

#14 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 14:32

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009

Shower and sleep can wait. A cold one cannot. Whether it is from a bar or a store we do not care. We will probably be jet lagged and wide awake.thanks to all.

#15 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 15:41

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Thai bars are typically Irish type bars full of farangs in Bangkok and the beach locations. I'd rather do as much during the day and chill with 1 or 2 beers at night so don't need a bar. Rather drink in a restaurant with a view or spend time at a night market.

Does Mukdahan have many bars?

#16 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 19:41

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You'll be able to get what you want at one of the 7-11's if nothing else appears to be open. They seem to be everywhere these days.

Do the 7/11s on KSR sell beer after midnight again now? The ones on Sukhumvit were still doing the strict 12pm curfew thing last time I looked.... padlocks and chains on the fridges.

#17 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 20:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Shower and sleep can wait. A cold one cannot. Whether it is from a bar or a store we do not care. We will probably be jet lagged and wide awake.thanks to all."

Worst case the hotel should have two overpriced beers in the fridge. Of course, if you are staying in cheapie central, that might not be available. But it's hard to imagine not finding anything anywhere.

"Thai bars are typically Irish type bars full of farangs in Bangkok and the beach locations."

Longbeach - Bangkok is HUGE. There are lots of bars with not a farang in sight (although of course in the context of the OP and his choice of destination that is not true). But when you said "Thailand" that indicates country-wide, not tourist specific locations. Like I said, we have very different views of what Thailand is like.

"I'd rather do as much during the day and chill with 1 or 2 beers at night so don't need a bar. Rather drink in a restaurant with a view or spend time at a night market."

That's fine, not everyone likes bars. We all have different tastes and there's nothing wrong with that.

"Does Mukdahan have many bars?"

Depends on how you define a lot. It is a city of about 50,000 people (published estimates to the contrary). The tower has two clubs that are very loud and dominated by hookers. That area has one karaoke bar (of the naughty type) and one other little sit down bar (also of the naughty type) and a couple of "Massage parlours". Around town there is a smattering of karaoke bars (mixed - some naughty, some nice), there is the one bar where expats tend to go (The Picking Cowboy - which is an American western theme bar that has live music), Away, Share Yes, the Pool and one other who's name I forgot are mostly for the 20/30 something set with bands playing Thai pop (mostly ballads). Then there's the Piano Lounge on the top of the Ploy. The Grand Disco, adjacent to the Grand Hotel. Very loud plays Thai pop. Not my scene at all, but an impressive Coyote linep for rural Thailand. Norees just outside of town with an excellent Thai folk band. This used to be my favorite place. It's gone down a bit when the band lost one of their lead singers. I guess that's about it. I don't know if that constitutes "a lot" or not.

#18 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 21:41

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Bangkok is huge but Thai's normally drink in restaurants or on the side of the road or at home. They don't hang out in typical bars much and nigthclubs are dominated by young Thais.

Street food vendors sell food and whiskey. That's what Thai men love. You ought to know that. Thai women don't hang out in bars unless they are bargirls or young ones having a drink after work.

#19 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 12:30

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

"Like I said, we have very different views of what Thailand is like."

You hang out in Mukdahan. Your description of Mukdahan nightclub paints a grim picture. Yet you rate thai bars? I don't get it. Doesn't sound good at all.

#20 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 12:32

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Bangkok is huge but Thai's normally drink in restaurants or on the side of the road or at home. They don't hang out in typical bars much and nigthclubs are dominated by young Thais."

Well, in the northern part of the city there are a TON of bars, and they are not being frequented by falangs... someone is going to them.

Karaoke bars are everywhere in Thailand. And they are not big on the falang list either.

I think you are mistaken on this one. Thai guys are just like us - except they like Karaoke.

"Street food vendors sell food and whiskey. That's what Thai's love. You ought to know that."

They do, and some guys imbibe on the low end for sure. Here at the little mom and pop stores they sell white lightning (Lao Cao) by the shot. Guys will hit the places in the morning for the start of their day. But they does not preclude bars from getting businesses. Like I said, there are A LOT of bars in Bangkok that don't have Falang business. Just like there are a lot of bars all over Thailand that don't have falang business - like the ones I mentioned in Mukdahan. I've spent a fair amount of time in Yasothon and Khon Kaen and Roi Et and NKP and Amnat and Ubon and Udon as well - always the same story. Lots of Thai bars full of Thai patrons. If you come out here I'll show you the deal.

#21 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 12:35

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

"There are lots of bars with not a farang in sight" Not really. Bars in Thai areas are often dead or restaurant/bars. Unless you're counting side of the road joints.

#22 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 12:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"You hang out in Mukdahan . Your description of Mukdahan nightclub paints a grim picture. Yet you rate thai bars? I don't get it. Doesn't sound good at all."

I don't get it - what's grim?

#23 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 12:36

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

"Well, in the northern part of the city there are a TON of bars"

name them

#24 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 12:37

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

" The tower has two clubs that are very loud and dominated by hookers. That area has one karaoke bar (of the naughty type) and one other little sit down bar (also of the naughty type) and a couple of "Massage parlours". Around town there is a smattering of karaoke bars (mixed - some naughty, some nice), there is the one bar where expats tend to go (The Picking Cowboy - which is an American western theme bar that has live music), Away, Share Yes, the Pool and one other who's name I forgot are mostly for the 20/30 something set with bands playing Thai pop (mostly ballads). Then there's the Piano Lounge on the top of the Ploy. The Grand Disco, adjacent to the Grand Hotel. Very loud plays Thai pop. Not my scene at all, but an impressive Coyote linep for rural Thailand. Norees just outside of town with an excellent Thai folk band. This used to be my favorite place. It's gone down a bit when the band lost one of their lead singers. I guess that's about it. I don't know if that constitutes "a lot" or not."

You call this good? Sounds shithouse

#25 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 12:38

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

"Thai guys are just like us - except they like Karaoke."

Yet none of the Thais I know like it much. I see lots of dead Karaoke bars.

#26 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 12:40

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

It's OK. I mean, this is provincial Thailand, so if you come out here and expect it to reflect the tastes or styles of a western country, you will be disappointed. That's true of every aspect of life out here. But it's not bad. I've grown to like it. It depends on what you want. You don't sound like a bar guy anyway, so I suspect you would have a jaundiced view of any kind of bar scene.

#27 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 12:41

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

I used to love going out drinking. Just over it. After being drunk 1000 times I don't see the point anymore.

#28 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 12:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Yet none of the Thais I know like it much. I see lots of dead Karaoke bars."

Businesses don't stay open if they stay dead. And there are tons of those things out here. All of my Thai friends do the Karaoke thing at least sometimes. And every wedding I've been to - karaoke.

"I used to love going out drinking. Just over it. After being drunk 1000 times I don't see the point anymore."

Like I said, that's OK. No one says you got to do it. To each his own. But I think it would be a mistake to say Thais don't go to bars. If they didn't, we wouldn't have any. And we have plenty.

#29 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 12:48

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

"Businesses don't stay open if they stay dead"

Thailand is full of dead businesses who just scrap by

Wages are low

#30 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 12:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Thailand is full of dead businesses who just scrap by

Wages are low"

Well sure, but they are scrapping by, which means people are coming to them.

Some of the Karaoke bars here are in that category, some are booming. Don't ask me what makes for a great one or a lousy one - you got me.

The other places, though, like Share Yes, Norees, The Pool - those places are nice and do good business. They have nice ambience and good bands. Picking Cowboy does OK too. Like I said, Thai guys are just like the rest of us. Some of them like to go out, some don't.

#31 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 14:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Rocking-Up Solo in Bangkok 28th May fancy a beer? ... By Andy1979 on 16 May 2011 0 1307 16 May 2011