Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

IS IT SAFE TO TRAVEL ON YOUR OWN?

• gbigsby19

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2012

bit worried as seen lots of post's about young girls being found dead etc... is it safe to travel around thailand and the islands on your own as a female??

#1 Posted: 8/7/2012 - 12:35

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Recently the only case I have heard of is the two girls found dead in the room in Koh Samet. You have to remmember millions of tourists come to Thailand every year. It's pretty safe. I'd sayy your biggest danger is bus or taxi accident.

#2 Posted: 8/7/2012 - 13:20

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Compare the number of posts of dead girls with the massive number of people that are just out there enjoying themselves, and having no problems at all. Don't forget, when things are going well, 95% of the travelling population aren't going to post about it. A 'No news is good news' kind of thing.

Trawl through the posts on this forum and you will see the large number of people doing just that.

Yes it's safe as long as you keep your head on and your wits about you. Take the standard safety precautions that you would at home - for both you and your possessions. Don't walk alone late at night down dark alleyways, esp after drinking. Don't leave your wallet pr mobile phone sitting on the table while eating at a restaurant. Keep your backpack padlocked.

#3 Posted: 8/7/2012 - 15:09

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Just went up the local market in Rambutri, Bangkok yesterday had to laugh.You can arm yourself like Rambo if you want. Tasers, CS, Asps, butterfly and flick-knives; so that's one way of staying safe.Word of advice, if you go down this route and you are threatened make sure you not the type who will hesitate.

#4 Posted: 8/7/2012 - 20:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

gbigs
    Don't listen to Sayadian. You don't need to arm yourself. Just do what Liz says. Given that you're alone, don't drink so much that your judgement is seriously impaired.

#5 Posted: 8/7/2012 - 22:44

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I didn't necessarily say you need to arm yourself Madmac. I was just amused at what you can buy here as there is nothing comparable in Cambodia. Saying that a can of mace isn't a bad idea. BTW I've yet to meet a tourist who doesn't drink too much.Any amount of drink impairs your judgement and your ability to spot trouble as well.

#6 Posted: 8/7/2012 - 23:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Any amount of drink impairs your judgement and your ability to spot trouble as well."

You're killing me man. There is impaired, and then there is impaired. I would expect a sophisticated individual like yourself to know the difference.

#7 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 01:31

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Well, how much did you have to drink before you went out on a night op?
    Ok we're talking Thailand not Mogadon (or is that a sleeping pill?) but don't tell me it doesn't slow your reactions pelease!

#8 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 02:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Exactly, we are talking about Thailand here. So we aren't talking about reaction time, we are talking about decision making. And I can make reasonable decisions after a few drinks.

#9 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 02:42

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

BTW I've yet to meet a tourist who doesn't drink too much
    To quote myself.
    That's one point the other is reaction time is just as important in getting you quickly out of a situation going bad.That's anywhere and Thailand has it's fair share of lowlife like any other place.Especially KSR.

#10 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 07:59

• Advertisement

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

"Recently the only case I have heard of is the two girls found dead in the room in Koh Samet."

Samet? Phi Phi you mean or was there another case?

People die everyday. Thailand is safe unless you are a party drug idiot or get drunk and ride a bike around busy roads. Buses can be unsafe due to bad drivers but that's got nothing to do with being solo.

#11 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 09:38

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

There was one case a few years back when a young female traveller was brutally raped and killed by two fishermen on Koh Samui, maybe this is what the OP is referring to but overall I would say Thailand is pretty safe for a single female.Certainly safer than a lot of Western countries.

#12 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 19:30

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

Just remember the biggest threat (and travelling in SEA, even for the single female, is predominantly a safe experience) comes from your fellow travellers, not the locals.

#13 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 19:55

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

There certainly seem to be a lot of farang trouble makers around in Thailand for some reason if you're paying attention to the news? I tend to agree with oscarcat, that fellow travellers can be a bit worrisome at times. So if you're looking for a travel buddy choose wisely. When they start talking about how they lost their credit card and if you can lend them some money - stay away - Most of the time I just find them annoying (as in nothing in common) and would rather be by myself. Sometimes you can meet some really great people if you take the time to talk to them and leave your prejudices about age and appearances at home. I find CouchSurfing to be a good way to get to know locals and the such...

#14 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 09:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I find CouchSurfing to be a good way to get to know locals and the such..."

I have to ask, how are you defining couchsurfing?

As for getting to know indigenous persons, that's really easy. As soon as you get off the tourist trail and hit a bar or club, you will meet them. Almost hard to avoid.

#15 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 09:24

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

http://www.couchsurfing.org - there are groups, weekly meetings, etc - you don't have to surf if you don't want. But, yes getting off the tourist trail - for sure. Although, I've had some experiences in remote areas where locals are "afraid" to interact with farang, and basically ignore you... although it is not common.

#16 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 09:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Got it, it's a website. I had heard the term used for a guy who's sleeping on his buddies coach in between abodes, and hence was trying to figure out how that applied here.

#17 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 10:05

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

"As for getting to know indigenous persons, that's really easy. As soon as you get off the tourist trail and hit a bar or club, you will meet them. Almost hard to avoid"

Bit hard if you can't speak the language

#18 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 10:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

It is true that once you leave the tourist trail, language is a challenge. I think that's why so few people actually do it. It's not impossible though. My son came here to visit and within a week he was getting around just fine, and when he arrived here the first time he couldn't speak any Thai. But yeah, that makes it a challenge.

#19 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 11:05

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I don't speak the language & I get by :)

#20 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 11:17

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

#21 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 12:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I don't speak the language & I get by"

It does depend on where you go of course. Back in my wife's village, without speaking Thai you just are not going to talk. You might find other ways to communicate, but you are not communicating with language. Because no one there speaks any English - maybe a word or two.

In the city I live in, there are some English speakers. They are dwarfed by non-English speakers though. Again, you can usually work out basics, but a conversation will be tough if you don't find someone who speaks English.

Usually you can find a way to "get by", but of course that's not the same thing as really getting to know people. Depends on who you are and what you want. I am glad I have taken the time to learn the language, but it did take me quite some time.

#22 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 14:09

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

" don't speak the language & I get by smile.gif"

You can get by anywhere but that's not much of an achievement or mixing well with the locals.

#23 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 18:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Still, I encourage people to try. In my view it beats sitting around with a bunch of other tourists at some guesthouse or bar getting drunk and pontificating about world issues or discussing how banal beach and sex tourists are. If you are going to come here for the ostensible purpose of getting exposure to local culture, then the way to do that is get to know people. Language is culture, so you have to work on that of course. Not easy, but real cultural exposure isn't.

#24 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 06:19

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I second that, I'm waiting a flight now and the place has a communal area: if I have to listen to another discussion on Karma, astrology or the life cycle of the dung beetle I'm going to pop someone. No one has the slightest interest in learning the language and if they know a Thai word they think it's an affront to their intellect to have to use a tone with it.They all call themselves travellers but they only eat Pad Thai and spend most of the time engrossed in Lonely Planet.
    Rant over.

#25 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 18:52

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

"if I have to listen to another discussion on Karma, astrology or the life cycle of the dung beetle I'm going to pop someone"

Really? Do people talk about astrology in public places? If I hang around such areas I hear how cool some super touristy place is.

#26 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 18:57

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

To be pedantic, guest areas not public places.and yes as I mentioned Lonely Planet browsers abound, therefore you.
    'hear how cool some super touristy place is.'
    All the time.
    Be cool man!
    ;-)

#27 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 19:33

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Don't hang out on KSR then. The hotels I stay in don't have LP types or wannabe kharma hippies.

#28 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 19:39

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I'm not on KSR but very near.There could be worse places such as the infamous 'Mamas' but as I said I'm just waiting a flight after 8 years in Cambodia so I don't really know anywhere else.It's getting a bit like gaol time though except all the cons talk about the best weed and how cool it is meditating under a bush in the Himalayas.
    Ahhhhhhh! There I got it out of my system.

#29 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 20:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"It's getting a bit like gaol time though except all the cons talk about the best weed and how cool it is meditating under a bush in the Himalayas."

Christ, I wouldn't be able to stand it. Nimrods like this drive me crazy.

#30 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 23:06

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Yep, but Travelfish is just about keeping my sanity. Here we go again, somebody's started on about India again.

#31 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 23:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.