Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Overstay of visa

• LivinginAD

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2012

Hi

We're going to Thailand and are staying 33 days. Beeing European I know we get a 30 day visa upon arrival in the airport. And that I can buy a visa for 60 days at the Thai Embassy, where we live.

BUT it is more than difficult to locate the Thai Embassy here:-( Tried their web-site, but the map they put up is incorrect/old?? Called them (15-20 times at different times/days), but only get a machine. Send an e-mail, wich bounched back. Talked to a lot of people and posted on the Local forum, to see, if anyone can help - was told the Embassy moved and drove around their supposed new place for 45min, without seeing any signs/flags. So getting slightly desperat here........

Has anyone tried to overstay their visa by 3 days? What happend? Think the fine is 500 THB pr day? (almost the same for the 3 days, as we have to pay for the extra visa)

TIA

#1 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 06:32

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The danger of overstay is technically you are breaking the law, and could be jailed for it. This is not common, but it does happen. So you could be sitting in a Thai jail when your flight leaves, which would suck. In my view, the risk isn't worth it (even recognizing the risk is small). Either do a border run while you are here, or find the consulate near you and get a sixty day visa.

#2 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 06:52

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

As far as I know, you can get a 7-day extension if you enter Thailand under the Visa Exemption.

See item 8 here:
    http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15405-General-information.html

you will have to apply for the extension here:
    http://www.immigration.go.th/

#3 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 09:11

• LivinginAD

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2012

Thank you.

Husband finally succeded in tracking down the Thai Ambassador - and he is apparently familiar with the probems of finding the Embassy. So outside his house is a box with home-made maps with instructions on how to find it:-S

Why on earth they do not change the map and adress on their web-page I wil never understand.
    But we'll go there tomorrow to get the visa fixed - do not want to be nerveus about jail or doing visa-run/extension during our vaccation.

#4 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 10:25

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Don't worry Thai gaol is not so bad.As the new guy, of course you are allocated the spot next to the latrine hole but most people are careful with their splatter and someone else will take your place after a few days.

#5 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 20:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa overstay? ... By huggomartini on 26 Mar 2008 1 2478 26 Mar 2008
overland visa overstay ... By barkelleher on 25 Feb 2013 2 1466 3 Mar 2013
Overstay by a few days on Thai visa ... By shaana on 23 Nov 2006 1 2018 23 Nov 2006
Error on my visa stamp noticed 10 months later -- huge overstay? ... By gumby on 8 Sep 2011 12 4671 2 Oct 2011