Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Northern Thailand initiary

• horstinho

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2012

Hey everybody!

Thanks for any suggestions/ comments in advance! We want to see some of northern thailand before heading to vietnam. I used a sample plan I found here on travelfish and shortened it a bit...

How much time would it take us to visit these places in a loop? Would a week be enough? Which place should we rather skip to make it shorter?Thanks!

Flight Chiang Mai
    6) Chiang Mai -> Chiang Dao (nature, trekking)
    7) Chiang Dao -> Tha Ton -> Chiang Rai (trekking, temples)
    8) Chiang Rai -> Lampang (temples, elephant centre)
    9) Lampang -> Chiang mai
    Flight Back to Bangkok

#1 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 04:33

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

One week is not enough. You could go to all of those places, but your visits would be very short and it's unlikely that you'd have time to go trekking.

#2 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 15:09

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I would do your trekking from Chiang Dao instead of Chiang Rai , I would spend minimal time in Chiang Rai, and I would skip Lampang completely.

Chiang Mai 2 days, bus to Chiang Dao, trekking 2 days, bus to Thaton for a day/night, boat to Chiang Rai for a night, bus to Chiang Mai. That's one week already.

#3 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 05:11

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

You can book lots of treks from Chiang Mai. If you wanted to visit other towns you best hire a car. Chiang Rai is a bit quiet and Dao very small. If you are most interested in temples do that in CM and book your trek from there.

#4 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 06:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Trekking is by definition kind of a multi-day affair, so your time for that kind of activity is really short with this much movement compressed into that short of a timeline.

#5 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 06:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.