Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Want a quie stay with sun and beaches in late September, koh mak a good choice?

• lejpfrk

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2012

Currently planning a trip in late september to Thailand.

I want a quiet romatic Island, if possible, as I plan to propose to my girlfriend!!!

Personally picked on Koh Mak, which is smaller, quieter and more lazy mood... Howver, I read from posts to posts that September is towards the end of the most rainy times, but would it be still very bad weather in case we want to enjoy sunshine on beaches?

Those posts are somehow out of date, so would see if anyone can give me some hint on the issue.

If Koh Mak is not very suitable, is that Koh Samui is better?

Thanks very very much and your assistance would be very important for this proposal trip.

Many many thanks

#1 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 23:51

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Sep/Oct is the most unpredictably rainy times of the year, but that doesn't mean it rains all the time. You're slightly better off going to the lower gulf of Thailand (Ko Samui, etc) during July-August but Sep/Oct it's anyone's guess.

#2 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 05:04

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Agree with Caption Bob. You are better off in the Gulf to avoid the rain. There are many lazy, quieter beaches in the north of Koh Phangan and the southwest of Samui. Bopuht (Samui) is also a nice spot.

#3 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 21:36

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm a weather nerd - one place I'd avoid is the eastern Gulf in September. I can be okay but often real real wet.

I'd be looking maybe at the southern Gulf - it's wet season is normally Oct into Jan so late Sept may be okay. Samui is a possibility but you say quiet beach - I'd be looking at Had Yuan, Had Thian (east coast one) and Had Wai Nam on the east coast or Bottle Beach on the north coast or Had Mae on the west coast.

If you are super keen on Samui, google Thong Takien and Jungle Club.

Closer to Bangkok, Ko Samet which has the rep as the driest island in Thailand. Google Ao Pudsa/Ao Tubtim.
    But of course, check what travelfish says abt all these places first.

#4 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 02:30

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Both Koh Mak and Samet have serious mozzie/sandfly problems. I'd avoid both.

Quiet and romantic? I'd go for Kantiang Bay on Koh Lanta or Ko Ngai/Hai.

#5 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 06:08

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Koh Maak is definitely smaller, quiet, and more laid back than Koh Samui, but the weather on Koh Maak could be a big issue that time of year and sandflies are a problem on many parts of the island. Plus, as much as I loved the time I spent on Koh Maak, I didn't think the beaches were as good as other places.

In addition to Koh Samui, Koh Samet as tezza suggests could be a good choice. It doesn't rain there as much as other places in the area, and there are several suitably romantic spots on the island. I'm not aware of a sandfly problem on Koh Samet, but it does get very crowded on the weekends, so you'd want to go mid week for the best experience.

If it were my call, that time of year and wanting a romantic spot, I'd go to Koh Samui. Hope that helps. Regards.

#6 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 18:49

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

I just realised my #4 above is not real clear - "Had Yuan, Had Thian (east coast one) and Had Wai Nam on the east coast or Bottle Beach on the north coast or Had Mae on the west coast." are all on Ko Phangan, Samui's neighbour.

#7 Posted: 16/7/2012 - 06:40

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Strewth! Not too sure about all that color.

#8 Posted: 16/7/2012 - 06:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Samui, good choice for vacation in thailand? ... By Flacha on 22 Jun 2008 5 1857 22 Jul 2008
Vietnam beaches in late July ... By Louise456 on 13 Apr 2013 0 1398 13 Apr 2013
Which Thai Islands in Mid - Late September?? ... By ernieh on 9 Sep 2008 3 3161 10 Sep 2008
Ko Maak, late September, ferry ? Bus to pier ... By Blobby on 7 Sep 2010 6 2542 2 May 2011
Surprise trip for birthday, best weather late September. ... By Jadeknots on 17 May 2014 4 739 22 May 2014