Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travellers Cheque or ATM

• guernseydan

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2010

During my last trip i recall being charged 150bhat each time i withdrew cash by the Thai banks,

I was wandering what is better value for money either take 200 out each time and get charged 3 quid, or possible take travellers cheques and change them in Thailand,

im unsure about the exchange rates offered by the atm's compared to money changing!

Thanks in advance

Danny

#1 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 07:24

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Bring cash to start and change it at SUPERRICH or http://vasuexchange.com/ - banks at the airport don't give as good rates. So you can change just what you need to get to town. then go elsewhere. AEON ATM's do not charge the 150 baht fee but there is none at the airport - if using ATM just withdraw the max amount - TC's are 33 baht to change.

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

#2 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 09:37

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey dan,

you should get a slightly better rate from an ATM withdrawal than a traveller's check. plus, when you add in the fee for each TC you cash, the ATM is usually the better choice - even with the annoying 150 baht fee.

i think the advantage of ATMs is that they are almost everywhere and you can use them even when banks and exchange booths are closed. plus, carrying an ATM card (and a backup from a different account) is easier than having to safeguard a bunch of TCs your whole trip. however, every once in a while an ATM network can go off line for a day or two, so I typically have a few days cash on hand and an emergency TC or two with me just in case.

also, i've used one of those no-fee ATMs before. it was Bank of Ayutthaya. but the exchange rate on that transaction was about a baht less per dollar than other 150 baht-fee ATMs i'd used. so check to exchange rate to see if you are really saving money or not. i haven't used the AEON ATMs altmtl mentioned above, so hopefully that will be a good option for you and others too.

finally, on my last 8-week trip to Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia, i needed a total of 6 ATM withdrawals. my out of pocked cost was less than $30 total, which compared to my $1000 airfare was really just a small amount. changing money is a cost of travel. don't let that few quid worry you at all. cheers.

#3 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 10:29

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I take 2 credit cards (never use them), My ATM card & a copy. Change cash on arrival as mentioned above, have a small amount of TC's - What if I only need $100? and some US$ as some of the more remote islands do not have banks or ATM's. I used ATM's 4 times on my last 3 month trip.

#4 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 10:43

• guernseydan

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2010

I always got cash before from the atm's before, probably change a 100 or so here and take 100 Travellers check just incase, will just look for the bank with the best exchange or the AEON ATM's

Who am i kidding, will be having to much fun for that

Thanks

#5 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 10:49

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

you're right - who cares about the best exchange rate and saving a little bit of cash - why even worry, just spend your money - it's your holiday - have fun.

#6 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 20:56

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Take cash. Unless you're going for months you don't need travellers cheques.

#7 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 06:11

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

How long are you traveling? Few weeks - cash and a credit card. Few months - cash, credit card, debit card and some TC's for insurance.

#8 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 17:52

• Wanderer2012

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2012

ATM.

The fee is the same no matter how little or how much you w/d, so w/d the max. Bangkok Bank allows 20,000--will also allow you to open an account with only a tourist visa if you're a hard core cheapie.

#9 Posted: 16/7/2012 - 00:41

• guernseydan

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2010

6 Weeks so will take a small amount of Travellers Checks and some cash and use the ATM

#10 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 12:57

• Advertisement

• CivilEStud

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2012

Take a debit card and withdraw cash in lump sums when you need. No need to carry checks. The small ATM fees are not worth the trouble!

#11 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 17:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.