Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok plus more in August 2012

• mspencer124

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2012

Hello,

I will be in Bangkok throughout August to look for work and also to relax! But I am going on my own and wont know anybody there! Anybody know any good places to meet other westerners? Will you be there at the same time?

#1 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 09:00

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

There are lots of westerners hanging out in Sukhimvite and Silom areas. KSR also - although it's an area I don't recommend. It's a big city though, and there are westerners in all parts of it, just some more than others.

#2 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 13:29

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Need a visa to work and there are loads of westerners in Bangkok. Are you looking for a teaching job? Try ajarn.com and thaivisa.com

#3 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 11:33

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

To work in Thailand legally you need a work permit. It is not easy to get a work permit. If you were lucky to work for a place under the table your wages would be low. Much lower than many jobs in fast food places in Western countries.

Even the hiring of teachers is getting more difficult. The wages you get for that are usually low also. With low wages and no other reliable outside income (like a pension) you would probably be living in in cold water flats, maybe with squat toilets and no A/C.

For a job with a Western country with branch offices in Thailand apply in your country. Better wages with a foreign owned company. But also difficult to find those jobs, especially if you have low qualifications. Many, many thousands of foreigners want to work in Thailand but few succeed!

You meet Westerners in bars, on buses, on tours, in hotels - many places. Sukhumvit Road/Asoke area is good and you have use of the Skytrain and subway too. If you are real young maybe choose Khao San Road area where many young tourists stay. No rail service in that KSR area.

#4 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 22:46

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

"To work in Thailand legally you need a work permit. It is not easy to get a work permit. If you were lucky to work for a place under the table your wages would be low. Much lower than many jobs in fast food places in Western countries.

Even the hiring of teachers is getting more difficult. The wages you get for that are usually low also. With low wages and no other reliable outside income (like a pension) you would probably be living in in cold water flats, maybe with squat toilets and no A/C."

This is over the top. I know dozens of westerners working and living relatively comfortably in Thailand, some of whom don't even have college degrees. It's true that starting English teaching salaries are low, but you can typically supplement by picking up extra evening/weekend gigs either through language schools or private students, and there are still more than enough jobs to go around. You do need a work permit to work legally but there are literally thousands of people who've been working here for years without one. Yes, wages can be lower than fast food joints in western countries but the cost of living in Thailand is also far cheaper.

I know plenty teachers who started earning very livable salaries in the 40K to 80K range in Bangkok after the initial 6 months to a year of settling in. Even on just 30K a month (assuming you don't have lots of debt to pay off every month), you wouldn't need to live in some cold water, squat toilet dungeon as sirhalberd suggests. 5,000 baht a month will still get you a basic studio with A/C and hot water in Bangkok unless you need to be in the pricey areas like lower Sukhumvit or Silom/Sathorn. Of course, on 30K you'd have to be frugal and wouldn't be able to save much, but if just wanting the cultural experience it's easily doable.

There are other opportunities available as well if you have special skills (i.e. web design, writing/editing, hotel/restaurant management, etc.), and if you have some capital, foreigners have been successful with online businesses, blogs/booking sites, import/export businesses, and even more standard businesses like guesthouses and restaurants.

It takes some serious focus and determination, but foreigners can make it long-term in Thailand.

#5 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 23:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

DLeuk's picture is much more reasonable. And 30,000 a month in rural Thailand where I live is fine. You wouldn't even have to be that frugal. An apartment here with hot water, AC, western toilet is 3,000-4,000 a month plus utilities. 6,000 AT THE MOST all in. Add in 500 baht for your internet. That leaves you about 23,000 plus a month to live in a country where food will set you back maybe 200 baht a day (eating good). A good friend of mine here teaches at the school for 42,000 a month (he's been here 5 years and is a very good teacher). He also runs a place on the side and he's saving about 1,000 USD every month. Now he works hard, and he is frugal, but the picture Sir Halberb painted was ridiculously pessimistic.

#6 Posted: 18/7/2012 - 00:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.