Thailand forum

Bus from Nong Khai to Mukdahan

• think87

Click here to learn more about think87
    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Hello again travelfishers :)

Been doing the normal pre trip research and cant seem to find if theres a local bus connecting muk and nong khai. Im starting in singapore and working my way by train through malaysia stopping along the way. Going to take the train from bangkok to nong khai to meet up with a friend and since ill be in the northeast id love to give muk another visit.

thanks

#1 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 21:09

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

hey think,

stopping off in Mukdahan to play a game of chess with MADMAC?

in any case, i took buses from Nong Khai to Mukdahan back in early 2010, but i followed the route along the river, stopping off in Bueng Khan, Nakhon Phanom, and That Phanom. it was a pretty good trip if you wanted to go that route.

otherwise, if you don't find a direct bus from Nong Khai to Mukdahan, i think you'd find something by heading south to Udorn Thani and then across from there. even if you don't find a direct bus, you can always connect on the local buses that go from one town to the next. worst case, if you didn't want to follow the river, is to head towards Sakon Nakhorn and then down from there. if you did want to follow the river, i think i remember a direct bus from Nong Khai to Nakhon Phanom. it is a fairly easy connecting to Mukdahan from there.

if you've got the time, break up the trip with an overnight in one of these towns. they are quiet, but the people are generally very nice and the prices for food and accommodation much lower than in other parts of Thailand. just keep in mind that the bus schedules in the northeast aren't as convenient as other parts of the country, so it may take a bit longer to get around. i hope that helps. have a good trip.

#2 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 22:06

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

I love chess lol. Hopefully I will end up doing just that. My first visit to Muk madmac was back in the USA and last year I didnt end up going as my plans changed.

I actually did that stopping off aswell a few years ago going from Muk to nong khai hitting that phanom and nahkon. Great time but this trip since I wont be in the area very long I was hoping to find out if there was something direct from nong khai to muk.

You might be right though its a great area and if i have to spend a night along the way and do 2 buses then so be it. Really looking forward to getting out that way again been too long. Hopefully madmac can give me a little info. And if hes in town mid to late november the chess game is on lol.

thanks again exacto

#3 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 22:16

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Think would love to hook up with you. I have a room you can use if you want. Has AC. Pretty cool spot.

You can take a bus from Nong Khai to NKP. Then I think you have to change buses, so you might want to RON at NKP, as it's a long ride from Nong Khai.

If you didn't already hit That Phanom I would recommend you do so, but we can ride on motorcycles up there together is you want. I haven't been there in about a year anyway.

When do you think you're coming?

#4 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 06:10

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Hey Madmac,

I just might take up on that offer for the room.

I stopped at That Phanom and NKP on my last trip and loved them both so a stopover isn't such a bad thing. Id be game for pretty much anything while im there, really just loved the town and will only be better having someone there whos knows the place.

I land in bangkok Nov 1st and Im going to visit a friend for a couple days then maybe relax a bit before heading to the NE. Im thinking somewhere around Nov 10th I should be out there but no permanent date. Im going to burma for a month on in late november but up till then my intinerary is wide open.

As long as your still in Muk in November definately be a plan to meet up.

#5 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 12:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I should just be getting back from the Bangkok Salsa festival around that time. I thought you were talking like this month, though, because I promised the room to a guy right after the festival. But there's still a good chance he won't show and it will be available.

#6 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 12:51

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Np man dont worry about the room. I loved SC residence last time around but if its taken i might try one of the places by the river.

Quite the salsa fan huh? Dance away my friend.

Well it gets closer ill check in and see when youll be getting back from there. If im heading to muk i definately dont want to miss meeting up again because i came a few days too early.

Also,

Think they'll allow me to transport some Samuel Adams brews on the plane for a fellow Bostonian? [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#7 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 12:58

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Don't worry about carrying the beer around. It's a lot of work. If it were Wilhelms Christ...

But I have two bottles now on hand.

Thre are a couple of new places near the river. I'll check pricing for you.

#8 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 12:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ban Mae Rim Nam, Nong Khai ... By exacto on 19 Feb 2010 0 3682 19 Feb 2010
Nong Khai to Laos ... By Kevi19 on 5 May 2012 10 1625 10 May 2012
Between Nong Khai and Ayyutthaya ... By Architeuthis on 30 Sep 2009 4 3381 1 Oct 2009
violence in nong khai? ... By amezella on 3 Apr 2009 6 4036 7 Jun 2009
Nong Khai bars ... By LeonardCohen1 on 23 May 2013 2 1202 26 May 2013
Bus from Nong Khai to Chiang Mai? ... By DLuek on 7 Apr 2009 9 12474 1 Feb 2013
Prachuap or Nong Khai ... By LeonardCohen1 on 14 Mar 2013 11 1690 6 Apr 2013
Nong Khai to Sukhothai ... By danceswithrose on 28 Dec 2010 0 3796 28 Dec 2010
Nong Khai and Surrounds ... By morroco on 1 Mar 2013 2 1325 2 Mar 2013
POIPET to NONG KHAI ... By steffanmathias on 7 Jun 2010 1 3272 7 Jun 2010