Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

One week to spend on main land from ko samui to the Malaysian border , where to go ? ASAP

• Winstan

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

I have till 22nd on visa into Malaysia is my next call.
    Looking for advice of a place or 2 to visit on my way to Malaysia and catch the train to the border to finish up . Thanks

#1 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 09:32

• Advertisement

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Go to Krabi and Trang. The later having a fine night market Frid-Sun nights. Bus from Krabi to Trang is only 2 hours or less. Trang has a train station so you can train it to Malaysia from there. Krabi Town has nice food, Ao Nang you can book a day tour to Phi Phi or Koh Hong.

#2 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 11:17

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Trang is definitely worth a night or two. Last time I was there I rented a motorbike and enjoyed the area. Nice waterfalls nearby and there is great food at the night market.
    I like Krabi town as well - again, great food at the night market and easy access to nearby islands and other day trips.
    You can also get to Langkawi by boat going in this direction but that depends on the weather.

#3 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 17:19

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

The main waterfalls at Trang were closed recently. Think it was storm damage along the path. You can visit Pak Meng beach to eat right on the beach or do an island tour.

#4 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 17:59

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

As the others mention, Krabi and Trang are good choices, both the towns and the nearby beaches and islands. Plus it will be relatively easy to continue south to Malaysia from there. Also, while there is a train station in Trang, to the best of my knowledge it only heads north. Because of that, you might be better off taking a bus from Trang to Hat Yai or Phatalung so you can catch the train to Malaysia.

Another option might be staying on the gulf coast and visiting Nakon Si Thammarat and Songkhla. Unfortunately, I haven't visited either in quite a while so can't offer any specifics other than I liked them last time I visited.

You could always stay where you are too, if you are enjoying Samui. There is a lot of variety there. If Cranky Carrot were still around, he might recommend heading over to Phuket for the week and could suggest exactly where to stay/eat/shop/relax while you were there. You could always stop off at Phangaa Bay on the way to Phuket too. Regards.

#5 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 18:23

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

You could also hop on a Surat Thani to Takua Pa bus and hop off at Khao Sok National Park. Some good hiking and waterfalls there, and a longtail ride around the stunning Chiew Lan Lake was one of my all time favorites in Thailand.

Then (or), from Takua Pa you could head down to Phang Nga, enjoy the quiet little town with some good food, check out Manora Waterfall and Phang Nga Bay, which is also worth the trip although the limestone karst scenery is similar in many ways to Chiew Lan Lake.

Then you could head down to Krabi and on to Trang if you wanted. If you skipped all or most of the above you could even hit one of the small islands out of Trang like Ko Muk, Ko Kradan, Ko Ngai or Ko Libong. Buses go from Trang to Hat Yai every hour throughout the day from near the big clock tower intersection and where the night market sets up, and it's only about a two hour ride.

#6 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 21:48

• Winstan

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

Thanks peoples for the advice here , krabi and maybe trang it is.

#7 Posted: 16/7/2012 - 07:20

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Come back and tell us what happened. I hate how people ask for advice then never return

#8 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 19:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cheap flights over the Malaysian Thai border ... By alexthetraveller16 on 3 Feb 2009 9 3088 22 Jul 2012
How much money will i spend on average in a week? ... By benmogl on 14 Apr 2011 1 2731 14 Apr 2011
border runs by land ... By mic59 on 1 Feb 2013 1 989 2 Feb 2013
One week to spend in Burma at the end of March. Suggestions? ... By jbreyfogle on 24 Jan 2014 2 1105 10 Feb 2014
how many times border crossing by land? ... By cicerosf on 1 Oct 2011 5 2859 6 Dec 2011
Do I Have To Declare At Land Border Crossing? ... By barleydoggy on 15 Sep 2014 3 337 16 Sep 2014