Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Solo first time Traveller to Thailand from November onwards. Looking for advise and company :)

• rubyforanpa-
    rkin

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hello,

I've booked a one way flight to Thailand for the 12th November! I've never been so far before and I'm a little apprehensive about going alone. I've done a few trips on my own and a lot of Europe but this feels like a big leap. I'm only 19 so I've not done that much!
    I'm planning on doing the North first and then travelling down to the Islands for new year. Then carrying on to Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.
    If anyone has any advise for me or is going to be around at the same time let me know :)
    Ruby

#1 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 13:28

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Ruby,

Thailand provides a soft-landing for people new to Southeast Asia. Getting to and from the airport is easy and inexpensive, as is getting around the cities and country in general. People and food are great, and there's plenty to do.

New Year is probably the busiest and most expensive time of the year on the islands. You might want to get there early to make sure you've got a place to stay.

Have a great time.

#2 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 14:33

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

You might need a visa to get on the plane or onward ticket. Some airlines won't let you board without them. 1 way tickets are always more expensive. Makes no sense to buy them. Buy a return with flexible conditions if you don't know your travel return date.

#3 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 18:02

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I've never seen Thai immigration turn someone away at the airport because they didn't have a return ticket, but I have seen some airlines have a problem with it, so it wouldn't hurt to check with your airline to see what their policy is. You could always get a tourist visa or buy and onward ticket as suggested above if the one-way ticket is a problem. Air Asia is a good option for cheap onward tickets, particularly to places like Malaysia.

What route are you planning on taking? Are you really going to Malaysia and then back up to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos?

Also, you can get a visa on arrival at most border crossings into Cambodia and Laos, but I think you'll need to arrange a visa in advance for Vietnam. The embassy in Bangkok is a popular place for this.

People from most western countries get a 30-day visa exemption when they arrive in Bangkok by air, but only 15 days when they arrive in Thailand overland. It is important to have this information about visas so you can plan where you want to go next after you arrive in Thailand.

Good for you getting out and about while you are still so young. Like Tilapia says, Thailand is a good first place to arrive in Asia, with a good infrastructure to make getting around easy and lots of great things to see/do/eat/etc. Have a wonderful time.

#4 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 18:35

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

She didn't mention how long the trip was or what she was interested in. If you want good advice ask specific questions.

#5 Posted: 15/7/2012 - 19:16

• rubyforanpa-
    rkin

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

longbeach I'm going for an indefinite amount of time hence the one way ticket. I'm not planning on coming home in a hurry.

Tilapia thank you very much for the advise! I'll look into accommodation now for it.

exacto I'm flying with China Airlines, I'll have a check and see what their policies are.
    I am stuck between the idea of spending Christmas and New Year on the Islands and the logical route. Flying to Bangkok at the date I am it would really make sense to go North and then continue to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and then re-enter Thailand and go south at that point. Then continue to Malaysia and maybe Indonesia.
    Thanks for the heads up about the visa for Vietnam! Good to know.

#6 Posted: 16/7/2012 - 16:32

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

ruby,

have a look at the islands in eastern thailand along the cambodian border, including koh maak and koh chang. i spent christmas and new year's there a few years back and the weather was great. should you find yourself in that area, it is a quick trip across to cambodia, and from there you could continue to vietnam or laos. just an option...

#7 Posted: 16/7/2012 - 19:02

• magicrob69

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2012

hey ruby same here! im going solo but im going on the 15th nov. my first time as well should be good.! im starting off in bangkok and then up north to chaing mai and rai then back to thailand. coming back end of jan. going scuba diving as well in dec!

#8 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 11:18

• RC2012

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2012

Hey, Im 22 from UK and travelling for the first time I leave in 2 weeks time but I will probably be back in Thailand end of Nov I also have only got a 1 way ticket as I have no timescales and will just come home when I feel like it :). I dont know why people say buy a return its cheaper... so many plans change so it would probably be more expensive as you then have to get back to where you landed just to get home and flexible tickets still have timescales anyway.

With Thai immagration the embassy told me they will refuse me entry without a tourist visa or onwards flight but in reality they rarely check this but its not unheard of, the problem is with the airline and i've heard alot of people say they were told they cant board without the requirments as its the airlines responsibility to check this so they had to buy a return ticket and then refund this this once they were in Thailand, all this just to board the plane... again some people say they were never asked but thats just luck. This is because the visa examption only applies if you have proof that you are leaving and I had no idea when I was leaving or what I was doing which is why I went for the 1 way ticket, I eventually just applied for a single entry 60 day tourist visa which was only £25 and took 1 day to get back. Now I know 100% I can board the plane + I dont have to do a boarder run as I plan on staying just over 30 days before travelling up to Laos and Vietnam.

Hope this helps

#9 Posted: 21/7/2012 - 05:15

• morashid

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2012

Hi Ruby,

I'm landing in Thailand at the start of November.

Got a open return ticket, no real plans. Never been there before.

Extremely excited.

Give me a shout if you want to meet up for a beer or two.

I'm from Manchester, England by the way.

Cheers,

Mo

#10 Posted: 21/7/2012 - 16:59

• Advertisement

• rubyforanpa-
    rkin

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

RC2012, that's great help thankyou!
    I think I will get one before I go so I feel secure that I'll be able to just get there and go. Would be cool to chat to you some more if you want. You can add me on facebook or email me; rubyforanparkinson@hotmail.com

morashid, really?! That's amazing! Want to add me on Facebook so we can talk more etc? http://www.facebook.com/RubyForanParkinson

#11 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 15:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Solo F traveller November and onwards! ... By pirmelenge on 6 Sep 2013 4 1236 12 Oct 2013
Solo traveller looking for company ... By islandmike on 6 Mar 2013 0 1813 6 Mar 2013
Please help...first time solo traveller... ... By gabr13L on 15 Mar 2012 8 3104 23 Mar 2012
First Time Solo Traveller!!!CANT WAIT!!! ... By SIMONL on 19 Oct 2013 3 2077 23 Oct 2013
First time solo traveller jan 2013 ... By luke89 on 3 Jan 2013 7 1169 14 Jan 2013
Thailand - landing bkk 5th of NOVEMBER early morning - onwards ... By supaflymack on 27 Oct 2011 0 1126 27 Oct 2011
Solo traveller - first time in March. Any companions? ... By SpenceH on 28 Feb 2010 8 2305 6 Apr 2010
Help! Itinerary check for a first time solo traveller! ... By y123 on 22 Feb 2011 6 4260 25 Feb 2011
Solo M 30 Traveling in Thailand from 22nd June onwards ... By Abhisek on 10 May 2012 2 1263 4 Jun 2013
First time in Thailand March 12-22..need advise! ... By ELE1 on 28 Jan 2010 3 1524 29 Jan 2010