Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

surat thani airport to ferry dock

• splash1981

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2012

hi all. as per previous advise, im going from bkk to surat thani airport to samui to save on the expensive bkk - samui flights.
    have booked cheap flights but wondering the best way of getting from surat thani airport to the ferry dock to get over to samui. my flight gets into surat thani at around 16:00 so im assuming there will still be plenty of ferries running. i can always get a taxi but trying t keep costs to a minimum.
    thanks in advance for all the replies and advise

#1 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 07:14

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

splash,

i haven't done this for a few years, but in the past there was always a connections desk at the surat thani airport for combo bus/ferry tickets to samui island (as well as phangnan). the one i purchased was bus all the way down to the don sak ferry terminal and then boat across to the island, where you then caught a truck share taxi (song thaew) to your beach of choice.

by the time all those fares add up, it eats into a good chunk of your savings but not nearly all of it, and the ferry boat ride across the straight to the island is beautiful.

be sure to keep all of your valuable with you for these connections as the one and only time i had things stolen in thailand was on this bus when i accidentally left a bit of cash in my pack. cheers.

#2 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 08:10

• emmalbateman

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

Hi,

I did this journey from the Surat Thani airport to the ferry a few days ago so I can tell you exactly what you need to do. As soon as you get into the arrivals hall (which is very small and your planeload will pretty much be the only ones there) there will be people waiting with a sign for the Koh Sumui ferry & they will ask you where you are going. They will then take you over to the desk where you just have to jot down your name & pay the 500 baht, they will then give you your tickets for the bus and the ferry & they will direct you to the double decker bus waiting just outside. The bus will go to two ferry ports, one to Koh Phangan & one to Koh Sumui. When I did it a few days ago they went to the Koh Phangan ferry port first but just ask the driver if your not sure, he comes round to make sure that everyone who needs to get off the bus has gotten off anyway. Then all you have to do is jump on the ferry :) Easy! I'm not sure where you are staying but when you get to Koh Sumui I recommend that you don't jump in one of the taxis that are waiting as soon as you get off, instead walk down the pathway to the end of the pier. At the end you will see more taxis waiting and by them should be some red pick-up/ half bus kind of thing. There will be drivers there who will ask you where you are going and will tell you which truck is going in your direction and for you to jump into. These trucks are a very popular way of getting around the island and are alot cheaper than taxis. It cost me 60 baht to go to Bophut and I believe that the longest journey is round about 100, in a taxi it would be 3/4 times the price. I hope this helps, like I said I did it a few days ago and was surprised at how easy it was as everything is all pretty much set out for you as soon as you get off the plane. I hope you enjoy Koh Sumui :)

#3 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 10:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Surat Thani airport to Ferry Pier ... By trixieb on 9 Nov 2006 2 4382 9 Feb 2012
Surat Thani airport to ferry pier ... By DannyJ on 28 Dec 2008 6 11623 17 Feb 2012
Ferry from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani? ... By adammcintyre on 27 Feb 2013 3 1846 27 Feb 2013
Night Ferry - Surat Thani to Ko Phangan ... By trixieb on 26 Dec 2006 11 12083 13 Jan 2012
Night train from Bangkok to Surat Thani then ferry to Ko Phangan and on to Koh Tao ... By mejulie on 8 Dec 2012 1 2182 10 Dec 2012
surat thani to airport ... By lerot on 2 Apr 2012 1 1413 2 Apr 2012
ko phangan to Surat thani airport (URT) ... By tylerjprewett on 27 Feb 2008 2 5993 30 Aug 2008
Getting from Suvarnbhumi Airport to Surat Thani ... By CaitlinP on 17 Dec 2009 7 2282 22 Dec 2009
Donsak Pier to Surat Thani airport? ... By markacino on 13 Oct 2010 1 6594 13 Oct 2010
Surat Thani airport --> Khao Sok NP by minibus in afternoon ... By tomdegoeij on 13 May 2012 5 5215 17 May 2012