Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Advice for Bangkok and Chiang Mai in 6 days

• fel117

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2012

Hi guys,
    I know i have short time but i would like to see the most things i can, so i need helps from all of you. What is the most can't miss out to do and see when you are in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.
    My flight into Bangkok around 4pm and planning to stay in Bangkok for 2 nights and 3 days then take a night train up to Chiang Mai. So roughly i have 3 days in each city.
    Any comments and advice are most welcome.

Felson

#1 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 09:19

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well, A lot of tourists like Patpong. Personally I find it and Nana over the top. I recommend the Soi 33 area.

#2 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 23:10

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I like the Sukhumvit Soi 33 area too, particularly for food and shopping and fun. It is a great expat locale. But for most first-time visitors to Bangkok, the Rattanakosin/Banglamphu area is the best bet. This is the area around Sanam Luang where most of the large, famous temples like Wat Phra Kaeo and Wat Pho are located. The National Museum is also nearby. This puts you close to the river too, which is a good thing because the river ferries are a great way to see the city and it makes it easier to visit my personal favorite temple of Wat Arun, on the other side of the river.

This area is right near Khao San Road, the backpacker hangout. Khao San developed where it is exactly because it is so close to these tourist hot spots, but you don't have to stay on Khao San Rd, since there are plenty of other good accommodation choices and places to eat nearby. Just avoid the touts and you should be fine in this area.

As for Chiang Mai , here is a list I put together after a trip to Chiang Mai several years ago, which I think still stands up reasonably well.

- taking the overnight sleeper train either to/from Chiang Mai
    - visiting the three temples of Wat U-mong, Wat Singh, and Doi Suthep
    - enjoying a walk along the moat
    - getting lost in the traditional Thai market on Moon Muang Rd Soi 6
    - tasting the curry at Aroon Rai restaurant (profiled in Travelfish)
    - getting a massage (try the massage for the blind!)
    - a trip through the Night Bazaar (okay), or even better, the Sunday Market (great)

There is much more to do in Chiang Mai of course, and I think the real fun of the city is wandering around and finding places on your own.

By the way, have you booked your overnight sleeper train yet? Those berths fill up quickly anymore so you'll want to book as soon as you can to avoid disappointment. If you are interested in ancient Thai ruins, you might want to make a day trip up to Ayutthaya and then catch the onward sleeper train to Chiang Mai directly from there that evening. Good luck!

#3 Posted: 20/7/2012 - 00:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Exacto,
    I was only pulling his pud. The post lacked specifity. I was pretty sure he wasn't planning on hanging out at Patpong or Nana.

#4 Posted: 20/7/2012 - 02:28

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

6 days I'd stick with 1 city. Bangkok would be my choice.

Khao San Road is loserville. It's for 19yos and lost backpackers who need to stay in packs to survive.

Sukhumvit soi 20-22 is close to Skytrain and nice street food or pratunam but no Skytrain.

Evergreen Place is a great location near MBK and Skytrain. Best money exchange near there too. Best I've ever seen in BKK.

#5 Posted: 20/7/2012 - 11:23

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

"Wat Arun, on the other side of the river."

suprising how few tourists it gets compared to grand palace. nice views and the noodle stand serves up good food inside near where they sell bags and stuff.

#6 Posted: 20/7/2012 - 11:25

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

if bangkok isnt enough train it to kanchanaburi. only 3 hours. CM is way too far for a short trip. kanchanaburi is more interesting anyway and on a nice river.

#7 Posted: 20/7/2012 - 11:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I have to admit I like Wat Arun, and have been there twice now even though it's out of the way. That's a cool place.

#8 Posted: 20/7/2012 - 13:16

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac. Wat Arun-is that a Salsa club or a suburb of Mogadishu?
    ;-)
    I'd say buy a day ticket for the river bus.You can get off and see so much from the river (including Wat Arun),China town, (though it's 15 minutes walk from the river) and of course Rambutri,Banglumphoo area. Don't miss the human zoo of KhaoSan Rd.
    Flight to Chang Mai is a option to save time. Deals on AirAsia start at around 2000 baht; better than a clapped out Thai night train.

Question.
    Don't people climb up to Doi Sutep anymore in Chang Mai city? Beautiful place.

#9 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 00:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Madmac. Wat Arun-is that a Salsa club or a suburb of Mogadishu?"

Neither, although I will accept your inference as valid that since it is neither of those, it is by definition a second tier location.

#10 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 05:06

• Advertisement

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

You can walk Khao San in 5 minutes. Takes longer to get there than see it and there's nothing to see. Just losers you would have seen at the airport.

Thong Lor is a good place to explore. Good Issan food there on Ekamai soi 1 Sabai Jai is a massive place with a huge menu.

Saxophone Pub at Victory and Raintree Pub on Rangnam road. Good music venues and the later serves great food as well.

Ratcha for Thai nightclubs.

Khao San would rank about 1000th on my list of things to see.

#11 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 06:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Khao San would rank about 1000th on my list of things to see."

That high huh? I have it considerably lower, as in it just isn't on the list.

#12 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 07:38

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Make it 100000000000000000th if you like. Was too lazy to add the zeros before

#13 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 07:54

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'Neither, although I will accept your inference as valid that since it is neither of those, it is by definition a second tier location.'
    Groucho Marx couldn't have put it better.

Re: KSR>So nobody is into human zoos then.
    don't forget KSR grew up because of its proximity to the 'must see' sites

#14 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 07:56

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

You've never seen backpackers before?

KSR is lame. Same tragics can be seen at airports, pai, phi phi. No need to visit ksr to see bad tourists.

#15 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 08:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

OK Sayadian, maybe to get the T-shirt! Point made.

Still I'm with Longbeach in principal. But I suspect you are too.

#16 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 08:55

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

karma, tantric BS, dreadlocks,croaking frogs,Seikh palm readers,dodgy suits on sale, overpriced beer,7-11 drug-dealing.How could you not want to visit KSR.

#17 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 09:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

What about prostitution? No prostitution? Man, the place is screwed up.

#18 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 10:08

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Most of the 'girls' aren't girls.Cross Ratchdamnoen and you get lots of Ladyboys (maybe that's how they wondered to KSR) and the lower end of the market in prostitution.Some of those girls been standing there so long they're covered in cobwebs.
    Madmac, mow you've got me into trouble with some of the ladies on here.

#19 Posted: 23/7/2012 - 01:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

BWAHAHAHAHAH - you got suckered in man.

Anyway, KSR is a big no-go. Like I said, Freak Show Central. It's a draw I suppose for those who think being a backpacker is being a weirdo. But for everyone else...

#20 Posted: 23/7/2012 - 09:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Advice Needed: Bangkok-Chiang Mai-Maesai (Tachileik)-Chiang Rai-Chiang Khong-Huey Xai ... By Dyno on 12 May 2012 4 2799 15 May 2012
First Days - Bangkok Chiang Mai ... By saramac on 2 Aug 2013 30 4228 7 Mar 2014
Advice for 2 Nights/3 Days near Bangkok ... By Merrianne on 16 May 2011 6 2723 27 May 2011
Advice: 6 days Bangkok...and surrounds? ... By christay2009 on 22 Aug 2011 15 1501 23 Aug 2011
iIinerary advice 6 days Chaing Mai and Bangkok ... By jztravels on 4 Mar 2010 1 1659 5 Mar 2010