Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Money issues

• magicrob69

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2012

hi all i will be visiting Thailand for about 3 months and wondering should i take travelers checks or cash or maybe some one has advise of which bank to open an account with so i could draw money out cheaply! obviously i'm going to be taking a fair amount of money and wouldn't really want to travel around with a lump cash sum!

any advise would be nice.
    thanks

#1 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 09:38

• Advertisement

• Rukus

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2011

I'm wondering the same thing, I know my mastercard from the bank of montreal is an extra 2.5% on withdrawls which isnt horrible but something better would be nice (I'm canadian)

#2 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 14:29

• magicrob69

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2012

yeah ive looked at the prices and debit card are even worse, but is it worth taking travelers checks just incase there stolen.... saying that i suppose its like anything if your credit card cash debit card or travelers checks are stolen your still going to be up a certain creek with out a paddle.

#3 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 17:34

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Best advice is to have a range of options, and don't keep everything in one place.

I carry a spare ATM and spare credit card (each to separate accounts) - and ALWAYS keep them separate to my main ones. I also only carry enough cash for the day around with me (some in a easy accessed wallet, and some stored in my pack), and leave the bulk of my money elsewhere (in room, locked in pack usually - but don't I don't sleep in dorms. I wouldn't do this if I did). I don't bother with TC's since I have the spare cards.

Spare cards saved my butt when I lost my wallet in Singapore on Day 1 of a 6-month trip. They held me over to my replacement cards arrived 3 weeks later (when a friend arrived with the cardds).

#4 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 18:48

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Did you read the TF feature - "How to manage your money in Asia"

#5 Posted: 20/7/2012 - 11:54

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

One of the best things I did about 20 years ago is open up a couple Credit Union checking accounts. Their charges are low. Even when overseas they pay for some of my ATM charges. They issue travelers checks without any charge if you are a member.

I have 2 different accounts because I can get more free travelers checks that way. Also my ATM charges are based on monthly charges so I alternate cards and save a little more on charges. If needed between the two accounts, using my debit cards, I could get $1000 a day in withdrawals.

So, for 3 months you can bring travelers checks, debit card and cash. But first notify your bank that you will be overseas. Without telling your bank that you will be in Thailand your ATM withdrawals may be denied because they suspect fraud. You ought to have an extra source of cash just in case your debit card gets mangled or stolen by a guest you invite in to your room. Aeon ATM's in Thailand do not charge the 150 baht ATM fee. When you use an ATM take out the maximum you can at one time so you don't get big fees for small amounts. For travelers checks bring only the largest denominations you can get. The fee to cash a travelers check is 33 baht. That 33 baht is cheap compared to the 150 baht ATM fee which is in additional to your bank charges.

Remember to use the safety box your hotels have. If you plan on having guests stay over for the night don't leave anything of value out on the dresser or it may go out the door with the guest! Never allow anyone else to enter pin numbers for ATM withdrawals. Rarely a couple days goe by that I don't see a Farang with girlfriend or stranger entering pin numbers because the guy (or lady) doesn't know how to use an ATM. Don't write the pin number on the card too!!! Duhhhh! Also watch who is close behind you when you enter pin numbers for withdrawals. Some scams involve the guy behind you using a cell phone to record your pin numbers. I tell these guys to move back if they are too close.

Of all of the countries in Asia I think Thailand is the fairest and easiest for changing currency over to Thai baht. Cashing travelers checks is easy in Thailand.

Three months means you need a tourist visa.

(For Canada guy check on Credit Union accounts in your country. They may be like the credit unions we have in the US.)

Have fun.

#6 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 16:18

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

"that I don't see a Farang with girlfriend or stranger entering pin numbers because the guy (or lady) doesn't know how to use an ATM."

I saw this old guy at an atm next to a 7/11. After being inside for 5 minutes I came out and he was still there having trouble and blaming his 30yo grand daughter (pretend gf) for his own stupidity.

#7 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 17:54

• weblo

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2012

Open up an account at k bank. They will issue you an ATM card and away you go. It saves the hassle of carrying around a wad of cash.

#8 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 18:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Entering Laos from Vietnam - Money Issues ... By lobstermage on 13 Apr 2007 5 5540 8 Apr 2009