Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Beer

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

I love how Asahi is brewed in Thailand and you can buy it cheap. Fav Asian beer by far.

I was drinking jugs in Trang for 130 baht. Don't know why people would drink that Chang sh it when you can get Asahi for 10 baht more.

#1 Posted: 20/7/2012 - 11:46

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Agree about Chang but what is this Asahi, sounds Japanese? So maybe it's rice beer? anyway beer Laos is available and you can't beat that.Betcha all the votes on here will go for beer Laos! ;-)

#2 Posted: 20/7/2012 - 12:35

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

For wide availability and only being 10 baht more than Chang, Leo is a pretty consistent winner in Thailand.

Chang is for those that value their beer based on how cheaply it gets them drunk.

Beer is good and cheap here in Myanmar

#3 Posted: 20/7/2012 - 22:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I like beer Laos, but even living right across the river, I can't get it often.

I prefer Leo, like enigmatic. BUT, beer Chang does have hot beer chang girls who serve their beer, and that counts for me. Having a very attractive lady serving my beer makes it taste better.

I also like San miguel a lot. But it's not widely available either.

#4 Posted: 20/7/2012 - 23:08

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

So I'm going to open a restaurant in Mukdahan serving garbage food served by beautiful girls in skimpy dresses.Hell,I can't go wrong.

#5 Posted: 21/7/2012 - 02:49

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

So I'm going to open a restaurant in Mukdahan serving garbage food served by beautiful girls in skimpy dresses.Hell,I can't go wrong.

#6 Posted: 21/7/2012 - 03:03

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

#7 Posted: 21/7/2012 - 03:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hey dude, that forumla works for Hooters right? Although I would prefer decent food - it doesn't have to be fantastic, just decent. But NOT THAI OR ASIAN. Anything but that.

#8 Posted: 21/7/2012 - 04:43

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Why drink beer when you can drink lao kow at a fraction of the price.
    :-)

#9 Posted: 21/7/2012 - 11:02

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Seems like all the best beer in SE Asia is really Carlsburg - they own Beer Lao and all of the good Vietnamese brands like Halida. I personally like a heartier brew like Dark Beer Lao or the German brews. In the USA, I drink Alaska Amber - here in Portland.

Everyone has different buds - no one beer is "best", but the absolute worst beer I've tasted is Korean! Tiger really leaves me cold.

#10 Posted: 21/7/2012 - 13:22

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Why drink beer when you can drink lao kow at a fraction of the price."

Because it's horrible! I want to taste it when I drink it and I want that taste to be something that doesn't make me puke.

#11 Posted: 21/7/2012 - 13:48

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Tiger beer is from Singapore.

#12 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 06:52

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Beer Lao is average. Not even close to Asahi. Leo is the cheapest and basically cat piss.

#13 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 06:52

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

"Betcha all the votes on here will go for beer Laos!"

Not unless you know little about beers. Beer Laos isn't bad but there's 1000 beers ahead of it around the world. Most people drink it cause it sounds cool.

#14 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 07:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Longbeach
    You seem to be under the very mistaken impression that tastes are tied to knowledge. This is quite incorrect.

Beer Laos was, in fact, selected by Playboy as the best beer in SEA.

But at the end of the day, what people like in terms of cuisine as well as beverages is completely up to individual taste, not what you have read up about same. There are not definitive answers concerning beer anymore so than concerning women. There is simply individual preference. Contrary to some of our arrogant brethren (fortunately not much present here on Travelfish) individual tastes do not mark sophistication.

#15 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 07:34

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Longbeach, I was under the impression this site dealt with S.E.Asia and Beer Laos is probably one of, if not the best, in the area. I've drunk San Miguel in The Phillipines, but that was along time ago. I was impressed. Is it still as good?

Madmac: have a look at the smiley; lao kow is only fit for lighting barbeques.
    Your not entirely correct about individual taste being the only criterion.A lot of these beers have been brewed hurriedly with the help of chemicals so if you don't mind poisoning your body vote for them.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me where Asahi originates?

#16 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 07:51

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Playboy, there's a credible source not.

The rest was just mumbo jumbo.

#17 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 07:52

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Asahi originates?

Who cares. Are you a bigot against north Asians?

#18 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 07:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Your not entirely correct about individual taste being the only criterion.A lot of these beers have been brewed hurriedly with the help of chemicals so if you don't mind poisoning your body vote for them."

Fair enough. Assuming no health risks, however, then it's just a question of taste.

Longbeach - did you just write that Playboy is not a credible source on mens issues like beer? You're kidding right?

#19 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 08:53

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

That's a cope out longbeach.If you like the beer you must know where it's brewed.
    As long as it's not Chinese I'll drink it as maybe it's like their phones and computers and will dissolve before it hits your stomach.

#20 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 09:50

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Leo, Chang, Tiger, Sing, Beer Lao, Bia 33, San Miguel, Tsingtao, Sapporo, Kirin, blah blah blah. I could never tell the difference between any of 'em. They're all brewed with rice and they all taste like Budweiser. Pour me a Guinness.

#21 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 10:30

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

"did you just write that Playboy is not a credible source on mens issues like beer? You're kidding right?"

So pervants from a mag are credible?

This is like your german food argument.

#22 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 17:51

• stefanw

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2010

Asahi is Japanese.

#23 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 18:16

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

We know

#24 Posted: 22/7/2012 - 19:02

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Who is 'we'? Are you more than one person.I've never been to Japan so I didn't know, can't know everything, can we?

#25 Posted: 23/7/2012 - 00:32

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

People go on about Beer Lao because its quite trendy and they make good t-shirts and its seen as the 'cool' beer to be drinking. As an actual beer I think its average.

I love Singha beer in those big ice cold bottles. Sitting down early evening with a plate of spicy Thai food and an ice cold Singha is heaven for me!

#26 Posted: 23/7/2012 - 05:50

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

People go on about Beer Lao because its quite trendy and they make good t-shirts and its seen as the 'cool' beer to be drinking. As an actual beer I think its average.

Exactly!! Laos is seen as Trendy. if it was called Beer Dung it wouldn't be talked up.

#27 Posted: 23/7/2012 - 07:39

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

"Are you more than one person.I've never been to Japan so I didn't know, can't know everything, can we"

You can read? You don't have to visit a country to try a beer from there. Beers are made or exported all around the world.

#28 Posted: 23/7/2012 - 07:40

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Seen it in 7-11 but always thought it was some alcopop from the land of the rising price.
    Try Wrexham lager, can't beat it.You must know it because beers are exported all over the world.

#29 Posted: 23/7/2012 - 08:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"did you just write that Playboy is not a credible source on mens issues like beer? You're kidding right?"

So pervants from a mag are credible?

This is like your german food argument."

Which was a good argurment. German is good. Not healthy, but damn it tastes good. And yes, perverts (check your spelling) from a mag like Playboy are credible on mens issues. What's wrong with you man? Your just not thinking straight here.

And I agree that in backpacker circles, Laos is trendy and I don't doubt that it influences how people regard the beer. But it is pretty good beer relative to the region. I drink it when I can get it as a change of pass.

As for Asahi, I actually do like it with Asian food. As a beer accompanying a meal, it's pretty good (of course, it's not a SEA beer - so once you include Asahi, well, you can include anything). I don't like it, though, as a stand alone beer when I go to a bar. I prefer San Mig. Corona if I could get it. They're lighter beers with a nice flavor.

#30 Posted: 23/7/2012 - 09:17

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

you don't have to visit a country to try a beer from there, but it is the very best way to do it. beer needs to be fresh and kept cold to be at its best, which is easiest to do if you are close to where it was made. and a draft beer from a keg is better than a bottle or can for sure.

beer lao tastes best in laos exactly for that reason, just as a guinness tastes better the closer you are to st. james gate. i agree with geezy too that an ice cold singha beer goes great with thai food. beer hunter michael jackson (the british beer expert, not the deceased american pop singer) said exactly the same thing.

one of the very first things i like to do when i visit a country is try a local beer. even if it doesn't taste all that great (somebody already mentioned hite beer in korea) it is still really fun to try. i think the best beer i ever had may have been the 8 or 10 free samples at the carlsberg brewery in copenhagen. but the beer in the pubs in the czech republic is hard to beat.

nobody mentioned cambodia's angkor beer yet. sayadian? it never tasted good from a can (probably got warm) but was always great from a keg.

daawgon, you are in portland? that's ground zero for great microbrews. lucky you. prost!

#31 Posted: 23/7/2012 - 19:27

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'nobody mentioned cambodia's angkor beer yet. sayadian?'
    I plead guilty, no excuses.
    Yes. Angkor draft on the beach at Sihanoukville is superb (and cheap) as the brewery is just up the road.

#32 Posted: 24/7/2012 - 00:41

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Dirty mags stopped being relevant in the 1990s when the internet took off. The last time I saw someone buy one was about 7 years ago. This drunk guy pays $16 for a Penthouse flips thru it for 5 mins then chucks it away. I haven't actually met anymore who reads these kinds of things on a regular basis since the 1980s when i was a kid. My friend at school had a dad who read them.

As for beer, bottled beer tastes the same wherever I drink it. Beer can deteriorate over time and with exposure to UV light so dark bottles are better. Beer doesn't need to be kept real cold (but extreme heat can affect it) and it ferments quickly at warmer temps. I've brewed my own beer and winter time it's slower. Leaving it in the cupboard then putting it in the fridge 1 day before you drink it, it tastes better than leaving it sitting in the fridge for weeks.

When it comes to serving below 10 degrees you lose some of the flavour which is why a bad beer served cold tastes ok hence the saying "I'll drink any beer if it's cold enough"

#33 Posted: 24/7/2012 - 18:28

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Wrexham Lager is a 3.2% beer, used to be 4%. That's a very weak beer. At the moment I'm drinking a Polish porter made by Zywiec which is 9.5%. Very nice beer and it scores a 98 on ratebeer. Beerlao scores low.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/zywiec-porter/6561/

#34 Posted: 24/7/2012 - 18:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Alas Zywiecz Porter isn't available where I live Leonard (love your music by the way). I have a choice between Singh, Heineken and Leo. On rare occassion Laos, Cheers, San Mig or Asahi. That's it. That's the range. At Tops Corona is avaiable for some reason.

#35 Posted: 24/7/2012 - 23:28

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'Zywiec which is 9.5%.'

Drunk it and love it.Maybe that's why I fell down :-)

Are you sure it's that strong?

Of course you're all talking about lager beers, need some Brits on here to start singing the praises of 'real ales.'

#36 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 01:37

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"guinness tastes better the closer you are to st. james gate."

You are almost correct. Guinness outside of Ireland is a no no for me (although I think it is also now brewed in parts of the UK). Although within Ireland, you will find that it frequently tastes better down the country rather than in Dublin and also up to €1 cheaper per pint.

I second the Angkor shout - it's superb and cheap.

#37 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 04:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I don't really like Guiness. Kind of reminds me of German Weizen, which I really don't like. I'm a pils guy when I can get it. A helles guy when not.

#38 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 04:33

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Fair enough MM, but you may change your mind if you had a fresh creamy one in a country pub in Ireland listening to trad music in front of an open fire!!

#39 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 04:39

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

It all depends on the water.London brews good guiness too and you don't have to listen to Taag music

#40 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 05:09

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"London brews good guiness"

On the contrary, Guinness is notoriously bad in London.

"you don't have to listen to Taag music"

What's taag music? It's not a term I'm familiar with. I would like to think it's not a derogatory term.

#41 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 06:14

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Guiness is alright. Prefer this Porter though.

#42 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 06:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

China - you mean like "Mick". I wonder what the name is for the pugnacious, ugly and probably inebriated mascott they use at Notre Dame? It ought to be Mick. We all have our stereotypes that we are forced to live with.

As for the Guiness - if I am ever in Ireland, I'll be sure to get one and try it out. I was drinking them in Germany, and it could well be it just ain't the same.

I remmember a long time ago I was at a bar in Germany (back in 86) and I was looking at the menu and they had "Budweiser" (same funy script, same color code, the works). It was expensive and when I asked the waitress she said "That's an excellent beer. A very expensive import". I was thinking "Man, you guys have been hoodwinked". But I ordered one and along she comes with this bottle. The color scheme, the writing scheme, it all looks right. An American Budweiser. BUT, it says across the front "Budvar". That struck me as strange. And the smaller script was writing I could not read. Low and behold it was a Czech Pilsner - and it was indeed an excellent beer and an expensive import. I think Budweiser copied or bought their motif.

#43 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 07:46

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Is Becks a big seller in Germany? I've always liked it.

#44 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 08:24

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"China - you mean like "Mick". I wonder what the name is for the pugnacious, ugly and probably inebriated mascott they use at Notre Dame? It ought to be Mick. We all have our stereotypes that we are forced to live with."

I'm not sure what you are saying or referring to here MADMAC, I have no problem with harmless national stereotypes and realise that the drunken Irish tag is not unfairly earned in many cases.

My question to Sayadian was what he meant by a Taag. The reason being that the word he used is suspiciously similar to Taig - which is a derogatory name for an Irish Cathloic and, by extension, not a "national stereotype".

#45 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 09:04

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Now the craic is good.

#46 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 10:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

China - in the US, "Mick" is a slang term for Irishman. Like Guinea is for Italian, or Frog is for French.

#47 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 12:06

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'Now the craic is good'
    .The above quote is a pharaphrase of a line from 'McAlpines Fusiliers' by Dominic Behan and goes '..the craic was good in Cricklewood...'and is about the Irish navvies who built the railways. The guiness is so terrible in London according to CR but it didn't seem stop an army of Irish navvies quafffing gallons of it as they built the railways.
    S.E.Asian has it's variations including Black Panther.

Madmac.Yes, you're right every nationality has a slang word for the people, some not so nice but be careful you don't use one to a Fenian as CR obviously is because they are quick to take offence.Sectarianism is a still a big issue over there despite the 'Peace Process.' A laughable agreement that installed murderers as respectable politicians.

McAlpines fusiliers
    'Twas in the year of 'thirty-nine
    When the sky was full of lead
    When Hitler was heading for Poland
    And Paddy, for Holyhead
    Come all you pincher laddies
    And you long-distance men
    Don't ever work for McAlpine
    For Wimpey, or John Laing
    You'll stand behind a mixer
    And your skin is turned to tan
    And they'll say, Good on you, Paddy
    With your boat-fare in your hand
    The craic was good in Cricklewood
    And they wouldn't leave the Crown
    With glasses flying and Biddy's crying
    'Cause Paddy was going to town
    Oh mother dear, I'm over here
    And I'm never coming back
    What keeps me here is the reek o' beer
    The ladies and the craic
    I come from county Kerry
    The land of eggs and bacon
    And if you think I'll eat your fish 'n' chips
    Oh dear then you're mistakenAs down the glen came McAlpine's men
    With their shovels slung behind them
    'Twas in the pub they drank the sub
    And out in the spike you'll find them
    They sweated blood and they washed down mud
    With pints and quarts of beer
    And now we're on the road again
    With McAlpine's fusiliers
    I stripped to the skin with the Darky Finn
    Way down on the Isle of Grain
    With the Horseface Toole I knew the rule
    No money if you stopped for rain
    McAlpine's god is a well-filled hod
    Your shoulders cut to bits and seared
    And woe to he went to look for tea
    I remember the day that the Bear O'Shea
    Fell into a concrete stairs
    What the Horseface said when he saw him dead
    It wasn't what the rich call prayers
    I'm a navvy short, was the one retort
    That reached unto my ears
    When the going is rough you must be tough
    I've worked till the sweat it has had me beat
    With Russian, Czech, and Pole
    On shuttering jams up in the hydro-dams
    Or underneath the Thames in a hole
    I've grafted hard and I've got my cards
    And many a ganger's fist across my ears
    If you pride your life don't join, by Christ!

#48 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 15:13

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"China - in the US, "Mick" is a slang term for Irishman."

I get that MADMAC, that's not what I am talking about.

sayadian - a fenian is also a derogatory term. I am certainly not sensitive but I don't see any place for terms like fenian or taig on a forum such as this (or any forum for that matter). The Good Friday Agreement is not ideal but it is a far cry better than what went before it. And while I am certainly no sympathiser of the IRA let's not forget who has far more blood on their hands than they do - the British armed forces led by the much adored Queen of England.

#49 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 02:53

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

Seriously the three of you could start a fight in a paper bag, great name you are making for TF. And to think I'm always telling people to check it out for the good advice and unbiased reviews! How'd we get HERE from a discussion on beer?

#50 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 03:51

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I agree entirely, it's embarassing!! But still, I'm not gonna let some uppity Brit talk down his pointy nose to me - he's the only one firing sectarian abuse and was the one who started the insults (I know, sounds like we're in the playground). I was quite content talking about beer (in line with the thread title).

Have a good day oscarcat!!

#51 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 03:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I didn't know "Fenian" was considered a derogaroty term. Immediately after the US civil war, a unit of Fenians, roughly battalion strength, invaded Canada when it was still under British rule. They were mostly US civil war veterans and quite capable. They beat the crap out of the Canadian militia they ran into, and then withdrew across the border again. Was an interesting little side show in US - Canada relations.

Anyway, on the subject of beer in SEA, I'd still have to go with Leo in terms of general availability, although the Sing Light ain't bad.

#52 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 04:09

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Fenian is not a derogatory term unless it's used in the context of sectarian street politics In fact the early Irish nationalists called themselves Fenians, first used by one John Mahoney. I just picked up from what CR says that he is of the Republican persuasion.Being called 'an uppity Brit' rather proves my point. I was actually trying to say that London Guiness is a good drink when all this started. I'll stay out of N.I. sectarian politics it's a minefield of hatred.I can say however that my country was never bombed by Fenians,IRA or PIRA so I have no axe to grind.
    'I am certainly no sympathiser of the IRA let's not forget who has far more blood on their hands than they do - the British armed forces led by the much adored Queen of England.'
    Let's not forget British soldiers were sent to N.I. to prevent attacks on the Catholic community.In the period since 1969 the terrorists killed over 750 brave soldiers who were trying to keep the peace. I haven't even counted the police loses.

#53 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 07:36

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"I just picked up from what CR says that he is of the Republican persuasion.Being called 'an uppity Brit' rather proves my point."

I certainly am not, and don't need to be of such leaning to know that you are uppity, obnoxious and smarmy, whatever your nationality. You have already racially insulted the country where you spent the last 8 or whatever years of your life.

"750 brave soldiers who were trying to keep the peace"

As a high profile example, I would not call Bloody Sunday "keeping the peace". There are many more examples to refute what you say.

#54 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 07:48

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

My definition of obnoxious is someone who constantly throws insults from behind a keyboard.
    Bloody Sunday was a clear case of trying to use soldiers to do policing and it happened a longtime before the army had any training in the area of controlling crowd disturbances.It's still contentious whether IRA fired first though that's not an excuse for what happened next.The person who sent the Paras in to police the streets is the one who should be brought to justice not the soldiers.
    If you weren't a Republican, as you claim, you wouldn't be defending the terrorists against the legitimate forces of law and order.
    Once you start hurling insults CR it proves you have no arguments to back up your assertions; like accusing the British Army of 'having more blood on their hands.' I'm assuming that is in the context of N.I. If so you are talking utter nonsense.
    'You have already racially insulted the country where you spent the last 8 or whatever years of your life.'
    When and where?

#55 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 08:32

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"My definition of obnoxious is someone who constantly throws insults from behind a keyboard."

Yes exactly, like when you made reference to Taigs and Fenians before any of this started and we were all having a harmless conversation about beers and stouts.

I'm not defending either insitution - they are both as bad as each other. John Hume, a man of peace, has done more for peace and reconciliation on my island than anybody with a balaclava and rifle has ever done.

In the interests of the other poster's (and my own) sanity this will be my last comment on this matter.

#56 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 08:56

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Battle to take the higher moral ground. You should meet in person and settle it like real men and have a dance off.

#57 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 09:05

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Preferably over a pint of Guiness in London) of course.
    To anyone bored with beer and more interested in the term Fenian.
    http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/fenian_movement.htm
    As you can see nothing derogatory it was a name they chose to give themselves.

Well, Madmac is certainly right these threads do seem to drift.

Back to beer do any other expats put ice in their beer like the locals.Is it something you've got used to?

How about ABC stout, better than guiness?

#58 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 10:54

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Back to the issue of beer - the first Beer Lao I had after a year of drinking Chinese brews was a delight, so it always has a place in my heart. San Miguel is still quite good. In Shanghai now though I do choose Ashai before Chinese brands.

I've put ice in my beer if its served warm.

#59 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 17:03

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

If it's a cheap and nasty beer ice may help :-)
    If it's a nice beer ice is a no no

If the bottle is too warm for your taste send it back and get another.

#60 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 19:13

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Ice:
    When you order jugs of beer in Cambodia, unless you're a very fast drinker, the beer soon warms up.I'm resigned to the practice now.It's very hard to stop anyway as the beer lady ladles it in to a half-filled jug before you have a chance to say no.

#61 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 00:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well Sayadian, I am faster than you and I always prevent the girl from putting ice in my beer (well, nine times out of ten). I would prefer it luke warm than half full of water. Might as well just have them take cold water out of a bottle and pour it into my beer. not working for me.

#62 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 05:02

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I have seen a contraption that works similar to a thermos flask.A large glass vessel with an outer compartment for the ice while the beer goes into the inner compartment and you have a tap at the base.Why don't all outside venues in the sun have this?

#63 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 05:27

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I drink at night. Beer should stay cold enough for 30-45 mins. No need for ice unless their fridge is no good.

#64 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 11:21

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"It's very hard to stop anyway as the beer lady ladles it in to a half-filled jug before you have a chance to say no."

refuse to pay for it

#65 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 11:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I have seen a contraption that works similar to a thermos flask.A large glass vessel with an outer compartment for the ice while the beer goes into the inner compartment and you have a tap at the base.Why don't all outside venues in the sun have this?"

They haven't completely caught on yet. But they are cool.

#66 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 11:47

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I owned a pint plastic glass that had liquid around the outside and you put it into the freezer and used it to drink beer. Kept it nice and cold but it broke.

#67 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 12:02

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'I drink at night. Beer should stay cold enough for 30-45 mins.'
    Not in summer in S.E.Asia.
    I'm just resigned to having ice in my beer better than Muscle wine which the locals like

#68 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 12:05

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I visit SEA every summer and drink beer. Stays cold enough for 45 minutes. What bars are you drinking in? They must have bad fridges and hot tin roofs

Find a bar with aircon!

#69 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 12:12

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Ah bars with air-con.I'm more of a outdoor restaurant type with draft angkor served by a wench in a red uniform.

#70 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 12:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"wench in a Red Uniform."

That sounds good.

#71 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 12:41

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

In China it isn't often a problem with their refrigerator, just that that they don't put the beer in it - or don't turn it on - the locals prefere warm beer, think drinking cold beverages is bad for you.

#72 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 13:20

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

No more messing with the wenches.They used to be constantly groped by the locals but civilisation has caught up with Cambodia and that's a no-no now.They even wear badges showing a girl being grabbed with a cross thru it to make sure you get the message.

#73 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 13:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I can enjoy the company of a lovely woman without gropping here. Indeed, I never would grope, even were it permitted. How uncouth.

#74 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 13:41

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Yes,Khmer men can be pretty uncouth when drunk and the poor beer girls were often abused.Standing up and pissing into the street in front of other diners is common too

#75 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 13:59

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm still laughing about the "If the bottle is too warm for your taste send it back and get another."

#76 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 04:51

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Is that funny?

#77 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 08:25

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'If the bottle is too warm for your taste send it back and get another'.(warm one).
    That's a little funnier and more probable in Asia. Certainly in many of the places I've drunk they wouldn't understand the concept of a cold bottle when there's ice to shovel into it.
    I suppose it's different in Barang bars of course.
    Sometimes I drink outside those little 7-11 type stores they have in Phnom Penh with tables and chairs outside (what a lovely idea) so then you can pick the coldest one out of the fridge yourself.

#78 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 11:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Those little mom and pop places with chairs outside still litter the roads outside of the cities here. 7-11 and now, to a lessar degree, lotus express, own the cities. But outside the little places still thrive and most have at least a bench to chill on. When I'm riding I love to stop at them and grab a beer and chill, maybe read a bit, or talk to whoever happens to be around and want some conversation.

#79 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 12:42

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Well it made me smile! But then I had been cooped up in a hotel room all day. As Sayadin explained... of course, in a bar, particularly in a place frequented by foreigners, you'd expect there to be a fridge and therefore cold beer, but in a Vietnamese joint, particularly a streetside place, icy cold refridgerated beer is neither understood nor available. I just had an image of me trying to send a beer back... And cold bia hoi - that's very unlikely.

#80 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 18:58

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

What a barbaric country

#81 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 20:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Indeed. This is yet another negative indicator that the Vietnamese are barbarians! No cold beer? Uncouth swine!

#82 Posted: 30/7/2012 - 01:27

• varun9654

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2012

obviously Beer is good for health. Doctors also give advise to take Beer as daily schedule ! Beer increase the fat of human body & there are also others benefit of Beer.

#83 Posted: 1/8/2012 - 05:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.