Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best way to travel from Phuket to Koh Lipe?

• Witte

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2012

By the end of December (around the 24th) we will fly in from Udon Thani to Phuket with a domsetic fligt arriving in Phuket 18.30h.
    What is the best way to get out of Phuket as soon as possible to get to Koh Lipe?
    I have been checking speed boats directly from Phuket to Koh Lipe (with a stop in Koh Lanta) but this is a 7 hours boat trip..
    Is it faster to take a speed boat from Pak Bara pier directly to Koh Lipe?
    The only problem is how to get in Pak Bara from Phuket?

Anyone got experience with this connection?

#1 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 06:35

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Lipe is a long way from Phuket. Nice island to visit but there's many in between that are worth seeing. Phuket-Phi Phi-Lanta-Muk-Lipe.

http://tigerlinetravel.com/

#2 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 07:33

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

By the shortest road route Phuket to Pak Bara is about 375km which in a private taxi would take at least 5-6 hours and cost as much as 10,000 baht (peak season, if you can find someone to drive you that far). By public/tourist buses it would take all day involving at least 3-4 bus changes with delays, hassles, sitting around waiting a lot, but would cost a mere fraction of a private taxi. Then a speedboat from Pak Bara to Lipe takes 90 minutes with the last boat leaving at 3:30pm.

I'd definitely do it by boat. On Tigerline Ferries depart Phuket 8am arrive Lipe 3pm, which as noted is seven hours, but in my opinion (and experience, having done the trip by all the ways described here) the boat is still the best option. Great scenery and many nice islands to stop on the way if you plan your tickets in advance. Late December seas usually calm.

#3 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 08:29

• Witte

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2012

OK Guys, thanks for the info. I think we indeed are going to take some more time and do it by ferry (Tigerline) and also stop on some other islands.
    Any suggestions on which to stop and what to do? Lanta looks good, as does Muk.

You think it is best to book tickets ahead or should it be possible to find a descent guesthouse in that period. We will be travelling in a group of +/- 6 people.

#4 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 05:38

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Around Christmas time it will be crazy-busy and you should definitely book Tigerline tickets well in advance. As for accommodation, I've managed to find cheap places by just showing up and looking on Lanta during peak holiday season, but with a group of six persons that might be tough. The problem if you're looking for cheap places they usually don't even take bookings. Depends on your budget level. There are usually touts on the ferry and the pier on arrival to Lanta, so maybe good idea to let them help you. Ko Muk is much smaller so I'd definitely pre-book for that.

#5 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 05:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.