Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

visa question

• weblo

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2012

i will be going on a 62 day south east asia tour in january. i will land in bangkok on jan 16th. i will spend a few days there before flying to vietnam. i will spend around a month in nam and cam bodia before returning to thailand for the remaining month. what type of visa will i need in thailand? thanks

#1 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 17:51

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

You get 30 days in Thailand when you fly in or 15 days by land without needing a visa. Vietnam you need to arrange a visa before you go. Juding by your comments you don't need a visa for Thailand at all if you are from a western nation (some nations need to get a visa).

Cambodian visa can be done at the border but Vietnam cannot so get that at home before you go otherwise in Bangkok.

#2 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 19:21

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I confirm LC's comment :)

#3 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 21:22

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

When you need visa information also include the country passport you will be using. Some countries get the free 30 days flying into Thailand and some do not. Depends on the passport you arrive with.

http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/Exempt2.aspx

#4 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 15:46

• weblo

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2012

I am coming from Canada. I will be phoning the embassy tomorrow. I understand that I get a 30 day visa when I enter. But after my Cambodia Vietnam leg of my journey, I will be in Thailand for 32 days. So my initial entry, I will get 30 days, of which I will spend several in Bangkok before leaving for Cambodia. But when I return, will I need a 60 day multiple entry visa?

#5 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 16:44

• weblo

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2012

I phoned the embassy today. They said, I will geT 30days upon arrival. When returning to Thailand after my Cambodia nam journey, they said to apply for a 60 day tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Cambodia or Vietnam. This will take me thru the last 32 days in Thailand.

#6 Posted: 30/7/2012 - 19:16

• weblo

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2012

I phoned the embassy today. They said, I will geT 30days upon arrival. When returning to Thailand after my Cambodia nam journey, they said to apply for a 60 day tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Cambodia or Vietnam. This will take me thru the last 32 days in Thailand.

#7 Posted: 30/7/2012 - 19:16

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

You get 30 days without a visa by plane and if you leave the country and come back your time starts again which is 15 days by land and 30 days by air.

So you could stay 29-30 days the first time without a visa and the second time 14-15 days by land or 29-30 days by air.

Understand?

So you don't need a visa for Thailand unless you stay more than the time limit in consecutive days.

#8 Posted: 30/7/2012 - 21:14

• weblo

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2012

Thanks for the info Leonard. Understanding the system now. The only problem is I will be staying for 32 days on my second leg in Thailand.

#9 Posted: 30/7/2012 - 22:01

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Change your plan or get a visa. Shouldnt be too hard to change it by a couple of days if you havent booked yet. Save you money on a visa.

#10 Posted: 30/7/2012 - 22:48

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

This is a typically erroneous scenario: Fly into Thailand then promptly go off to neighbouring country(s) then return to Thailand for the bulk of your Thai time. This tends to work against the ways of the visa system.

Turn it around. Spend most of your Thai time at the start to take advantage of your 30-day air arrival (visa-exempt) or tourist visa, then do your side-trips, leaving minimal Thai time for the end.

If you really cannot change your schedule, either get a tourist visa in Laos or Cambodia, OR wait and get your visa-exempt entry extended seven days at immigration.

#11 Posted: 30/7/2012 - 23:15

• weblo

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2012

thanks for all the info guys. much appreciated. unfortunately, all plans are made and flights booked. booked everuthing first and decided to stay longer. how do i get my visa exemp entry extended?

#12 Posted: 31/7/2012 - 16:04

• bedu

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 15

If you're not flying until Jan of next year, why not get a visa from your local Thai embassy?

Get a double entry tourist visa. Use it for 60 days, go to Vietnam and when you come back to Thailand, you have another 60 days.

#13 Posted: 4/8/2012 - 09:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.