Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Anyone do any trekking though Southeast Asia without a Hostel

• Justin84

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2012

I was wondering if anyone knows of any websites about actually backpacking through SEA without using a hostel and setting up your own campsites. I am looking to go trip beginning of next year and I would like to mostly camp with only staying in a hostel as minimum as possible. Has anyone actually done this, or know of any sites are articles talking about it?

#1 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 21:31

• Advertisement

• Justin84

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2012

I do understand that it is cheap for hostels and I will spend times in them, but I am also interested in heading out into area for exploring.

#2 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 22:10

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thailand has a good network of national parks and most of them are well set-up for camping. However because Thailand chooses to charge foreigners far more to access the parks than Thais is isn't always such a good deal. The main national park website is here: http://www.dnp.go.th

Another site is Trekking Thai, it;s mostly in Thai but there are some sections in English. It's quite useful for lots of pics from the various parks. http://www.trekkingthai.com/

In Cambodia and Laos camping is less common, but again in Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia the parks are generally setup for campers.

I'm not aware of any one site that covers the entire region though.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 22:21

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

AFAIK, there aren't many campsites in SEA. The few that exist are mainly in nature parks and forest reserves.

You might be able to negotiate with a resort owner to allow you to set-up a tent. Or a private home owner might allow you to set-up a tent on his property. You will definitely have an easier time getting permission to pitch a tent in a remote rural area, provided you can deal with the language barrier.

I am not convinced that lugging a tent, sleeping bag, etc is worth the trouble considering the availability of budget accommodation.

See here for another opinion from cyclist who brought a tent. They also refer to another website of Tyler and Tara who went camping in SEA.
    http://travellingtwo.com/resources/southeast-asia/tent

#4 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 22:37

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

With mozzies and cheap rooms available camping sounds like a terrible idea.

#5 Posted: 30/7/2012 - 05:49

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

again you youthful nonthinker are the victim of your idea that everyting is online-it is not. Most of the abundant cheap not hoStels, but ''guesthouses'' are not online and to be found in oversupply and very cheap when there-in every tourist and minor touristy place. yes, its very oldfashioned, but a normal guidebook might have enlightened you more.

#6 Posted: 30/7/2012 - 07:35

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I've done what you're talking about in Europe, Australia, South Africa, etc. but in SE Asia it's a more difficult prospect.

You can pitch your tent at approved campsites in national parks for a fee, but otherwise have to negotiate an unlikely deal with local land/resort/guesthouse owner and then don't be surprised if people just come and stare at you thinking "wtf?" Throwing your tent down unannounced might even lead to hostility. In short, the concept of vagabonding your way around SE Asia will not be very welcomed. The whole "camping" thing is lost-in-translation most places and many hopeful foreigners end up shipping/giving away their camping gear after a few fruitless attempts.

By all mean, have a go, but set some realistic expectations.

#7 Posted: 30/7/2012 - 13:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.