Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Kanchanaburi or Khao Yai? 3 week trip

• Gegp2000

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2010

Hi Guys,

My BF and I will be spending 3 weeks in Thailand this August and we are considering the following:
    Bangkok
    Chiang Mai (Stops in Ayutthaya and Sukkothai)
    Kanchanaburi or Khao Tai National Park
    Ko Phi Phi
    Ko Pha Ngan

Do you think it is too much?
    Should we do Kanchanaburi or Khao Tai National Park?
    Is Lopburi worth it?
    We'd like to train in Thai boxing. Any good camp you can recommend?

Thanks a lot!

#1 Posted: 31/7/2012 - 04:48

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Not too much and Kanch is better.

#2 Posted: 31/7/2012 - 09:20

• Gegp2000

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2010

Thanks LeonardCohen1! What about Lopburi?

#3 Posted: 31/7/2012 - 10:57

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I used to live in a village just north of Lopburi. The town is quite decent, has a great museum, and the old market and all the monkeys are good for part of a day. The countryside and villages around the city are also quite nice but you'd need your own transport. I like staying in places that don't have much going on (like Lopburi, Trat and Sukhothai), but with only 3 weeks you may want to save your time for the other places.

#4 Posted: 31/7/2012 - 17:07

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Just something to consider. Phi Phi and Pha Ngan are on opposite sides of the gulf so you will lose a day travelling. You might want to pick 1 side only. Samui has an airport so you can fly there and save time. It also has some good muay thai gyms. Havent been there for 7 yrs but going next yr myself. There are gyms at Samui and Lamai. Pha Ngan has a gym in the main village market area at Thong Sala. Think there's another one elsewhere as well. No need to prebook muaythai, just turn up at a gym and tell them you want to do a few sessions. Samui muay thai stadiums often hold good quality fights incl world title fights so it's a good place to watch fights. Pha Ngan holds minor fights.

http://www.superprosamui.com/muay-thai/gym-timetable-and-prices.html

free sessions for room guests. I'd turn up and have a look first and see if it's what you're after.

#5 Posted: 31/7/2012 - 21:31

• Gegp2000

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2010

Thanks for your replies! I guess it will be Kanchanaburi then! And LeonarCohen1, you have a very good point concerning travelling from Phi Phi to Pha Ngan. Maybe we should stick on the west coast as this is August. I also found a thai box camp on Pha Ngan. But Phi Phi has the reggae bar!

#6 Posted: 1/8/2012 - 03:36

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

The gulf side/east is better for weather in August ie Samui/Pha Ngan. Don't worry about fake reggae bars

#7 Posted: 1/8/2012 - 12:03

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Hi Gegp2000
    surely,you will enjoy Koh Pha Ngan than Koh Phi Phi in August.
    If you would like to learn Muay Thai (Thai boxing), They have course in Koh Pha Ngan
    (:

#8 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 09:20

• Gegp2000

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2010

Thanks to all of you!!! We are now heading to Sukkothai, and we'll do Kanachaburi and the islands next. Anyone knows if we could do this without going back through Bangkok?

#9 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 20:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Khao Sok national park or kanchanaburi? ... By Dpullman on 12 May 2011 1 3055 13 May 2011
Planning to go to Kanchanaburi or Khao Yai National Park on either dates: March 17, 18, 19 or 20 ... By chafich on 7 Mar 2011 0 2503 7 Mar 2011