Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

relocating in thailand/ED visa

• XxSMIL3xX

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2012

me and my girlfriend we are ready to relocate in thailand.
    the only problem is visa.i would like to know which cities have schools for us to learn the language and take an ED visa for 1 year till we ll be able to find another way to take a business visa perhaps.

we are not interesting for bangkok,pattaya,phuket,koh samui.
    we prefer something more quiet like krabi,trat and koh chang,maybe chiang mai when the weather is rainy.

so any1 who knows where i can learn thais and take the ED visa please help us.
    thank you!

#1 Posted: 3/8/2012 - 07:21

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

this forum is mainly for low-budget bekpek-type travellers.Without stating your nationality it is IMpossible to tell about visa and the like-except that for young people it will be VERY difficult anyway. THINK=use brains before posting and use a dedicated forum like thaivisa.com (google should have spitted that out) for this.
    The Thai language is considered quite difficult to learn for most westerners- there are not that many real language schols, but the cheapness of private teachers makes it affordable anywhere.

#2 Posted: 7/8/2012 - 06:20

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

True that thaivisa.com is probably a more suitable place to ask this, but the answer from captainbkk is overly pessimistic.

Actually, there are loads of Thai language schools in Bangkok - these are just a few - and while Thai is definitely a difficult language, you can learn it with determination and practice. You can also get an Ed. visa relatively easily as part of the deal.

Apart from one adept Canadien who was an exchange student in Thailand during high school and has been living in the country five years with a Thai husband, the only foreigners I know who have become truly fluent have been in the country for 20+ years. But if you're dedicated to learning, just one year is enough to be able to express yourself. Of course, everyone's different when it comes to language - some seem to pick them up overnight.

Hope it works out for you - chok dee.

#3 Posted: 7/8/2012 - 06:58

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

In general, the school should help you get an educational visa. I'm pretty sure that many thai universities will have a thai language program. I'm pretty sure that some private language schools will also be authorized to help you get an educational visa.

some programs are found here
    http://thaiarc.tu.ac.th/thai/thcourse.html

and an overview of the visa process is found here
    http://www.thaisolutions1502.com/education-visa-thailand/

#4 Posted: 7/8/2012 - 21:46

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You should just get a tourist visa first (in your home country) then decide where you want to set up. Then enroll in a language course and they should be able to help with an ED visa. To get a business (non immigrant b) visa you need to obtain legitimate employment and then the place will provide the necessary documents. Then go to a Thai consulate in a neighbouring country (Laos, Malaysia, etc) for the nonimmb visa. Most jobs available to foreigners are for English language teachers, which requires a teaching certificate and maybe a university degree.

#5 Posted: 8/8/2012 - 11:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.