Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Interesting Islands Off Thailand??

• OceanGazer

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2012

I am returning to South East Asia for 4 weeks next February. I did ten weeks before, and did two weeks in each country (Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia) Part of me would love to go and spend the 4 weeks in Cambodia and explore it in detail for two weeks and spend time on the islands down there, though the reviews of the islands seem very poor. So I am thinking of chilling out on the Islands of Thailand. I am not looking for party central. I am looking for good snorkling/diving, and a place where a slightly older crowd hang out having a few beers each evening, good seafood is a huge plus also. By older I mean above 26 or so. I have no problem with a nice near deserted island. My best week on my last trip was a week on Tioman off Malaysia. I did Ko Samui last time I went and stayed at Chawang beach. This kind of place isnt for me. But I was quite sick at the time and just needed a clean cool place to stay for a few nights. I dont want a McDonalds or Western Food. Anyone have any tips for nice peaceful island that have a small buzz to them. Thanks

#1 Posted: 6/8/2012 - 06:01

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Sounds like Ko Lipe and the neighboring national park island, Ko Adang, might suit you. Nearby Ko Bulon Lae is a lovely but far quieter island. You might also consider Ko Muk, Ko Kradan and Ko Ngai out of Trang, all of which aren't too far from one another. For something extremely laid back you might check out Ko Phra Thong or little Koh Chang further north on the Andaman coast, both of which do have one diving center each. Also, if you're serious about diving / snorkeling, definitely make a trip to Ko Surin and the nearby dive sites. Ko Similan is also extremely beautiful, but I found Ko Surin to be slightly better, mainly because it doesn't receive as many day tour trippers. You might also like Ko Tao, which is more mainstream but also has outstanding diving and plenty of "buzz".

#2 Posted: 6/8/2012 - 06:45

• RACHYPF

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2009

The Similans are awesome - unfortunately havent been to Surin but heard fantastic reports about them. Always seen loads of stuff just snorkelling there always turtles!!!! But yeah can get busy on the main island with day tirppers but by afternoon they all gone the main snorkelling points arent too busy and they seem to rotate if they are - but guess if you diving a liveaboard is ur thing. Enjoy x

#3 Posted: 6/8/2012 - 18:59

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Part of me would love to go and spend the 4 weeks in Cambodia and explore it in detail for two weeks and spend time on the islands down there, though the reviews of the islands seem very poor.

Where are these very poor reviews you read?

http://www.travelfish.org/location/cambodia/southern_cambodia/sihanoukville/koh_rong

#4 Posted: 7/8/2012 - 19:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.