Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand - Cambodia

• brevan

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2012

Hi,

I go for a roundtrip in Thailand and Cambodia in december - january (six weeks).

How does this route look? Tips, pls be welcome to comment!

https://maps.google.be/maps/ms?msid=213848993559035957185.0004c4ca5578c27c66db8&msa=0

Thailand
    — Bangkok
    — Bangkok - Chiang Mai (sleeping train)
    Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai (- Tha Ton)
    Chiang Rai - Sukhothai
    — Sukothai - Phitsanulok
    Phitsanulok - Kamphaeng Phet
    Kamphaeng Phet historicalpark - Ayutthaya
    Ayutthaya - Bangkok - Phnom Penh (flight to Cambodia)

Cambodia
    Phnom Penh - Siem Reap
    Siem Reap - Battambang
    Battambang - Phnom Penh
    — Phnom Penh - Bangkok (flight to Thailand

Thailand
    — Bangkok - Kanchanaburi (Erawan NP)
    Kanchanaburi - Chumphon
    Chumphon - Ko Tao
    Ko Tao - Ko Pha-Ngan
    — Ko Pha-Ngan - Ko Samui
    Ko Samui - Ko Lanta - Ko Lipe
    Phuket - Ko Phi Phi

Thanks!

Brevan

#1 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 03:52

• Advertisement

• RickWarren

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2012

Many many thanks for sharing Thailand information. Thailand is a tropical getaway for the hedonist and the hermit, the prince and the pauper. And in between the kissing cousins of sea and sky are dramatic limestone mountains standing sentinel.

Thanks a lot,
    Rick

#2 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 17:34

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Looks good except doing all that in 6 weeks is a lot. The 2 Thai sections really require 3 weeks each and Cambodia at least a week. To save time I would skip Chiang Rai and fly from Bangkok to Samui. I'd cut off Phuket as well. After Lipe you could fly back from Trang to Bangkok (if that's where your flight returns from). The Trang islands of Ngai/Muk are worth seeing and less touristy than Phuket/Phi Phi.

#3 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 20:40

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I agree that this itinerary is a lot to pack into six weeks. As suggested above, you can save time by skipping a few spots, like Chiang Rai. Is there a specific reason you want to visit Phitsanulok and Kamphaeng Phet too? I like both of those places, but wouldn't normally think to include them on a first trip to Thailand or a busy itinerary. There is a decent historical park in Kamphaeng Phet, but I think most folks would say the ruins in Sukhothai and Ayutthaya are much better, and even those are modest compared to Angkor Wat.

I also agree that you could cut out an island or two on the southern Thailand leg of the trip. You might do better to stay just on the Gulf of Thailand side or just the Andaman Sea side, but if you need to see both, maybe pick one or two islands on each side. That way you'll spend much less time and money getting from place to place.

Finally, since it looks like you'll be travelling over the new year, please keep in mind that new year's is one of the busiest travel times in Thailand. Trains, planes, and automobiles will be packed full, so you may want to find a good place to stay and hang out there for a few days before and after January 1st. Have fun. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 22:26

• brevan

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2012

Thx for the advise.

So if I fly from Bangkok to Samui en then go on to trang islands, would this be a good route. My returnflight home leaves from Bangkok, so I must get back there one way or another.

What would be a correct timeline if I do it like this (2, 3 weeks..?)

#5 Posted: 14/8/2012 - 09:21

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Depends how much time you spend in Bangkok/Kanch before and how keen you are to see islands on the other coast. What do you want to do on these islands? Tao is for diving, Samui allrounder and Pha Ngan is relaxing except for the busy FMP.

Trang islands are mostly for relaxing but there's some good snorkelling and the Emerald Cave on Muk.

If you're not a diver you could visit Tao on a daytrip only.

Samui/Pha Ngan - if you like Samui base yourself there, if you don't like it go to Pha Ngan and base yourself.

You'd probably want 7-10 days total around here.

Trang islands being quiter can be done in 4-5 days. Stay on Muk or Ngai and visit the others on a tour.

Trang town night market is good so you could check that out on your last night before flying out. See Air Asia for Trang flights (note they fly to Don Muang airport in Bangkok not Swampy where your international flight probably goes from so best to spend a night or 2 in Bangkok at the end)

Lipe is further away still and you might be pushed for time.

#6 Posted: 14/8/2012 - 19:14

• brevan

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2012

I narrowed it down to this:

Thailand
    × Bangkok
    × Chiang Mai
    × Sukhothai
    × Ayutthaya (by bus)
    × Bangkok
    Cambodia(21/12/2012 – 29/12/2012)
    × Siem Reap
    × Battambang
    × Phnom Penh
    × Bangkok

Thailand
    × Bangkok – Kanchanaburi(Erawan NP) - Bangkok
    × Ko Samui (base here tosee Ko Tao and Ko Pha Ngan)
    × Ko Phi Phi (base here tosee Trang islands)
    × Ko Phi Phi– Bangkok (forflight home)

Does this seem ok for a first trip to Thailand? Is it doable in the given time (5-6 weeks)?

Thx

#7 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 07:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.