Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel Route From North Thailand to Southern Islands in October and November

• xgeneration

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2012

Hello all, I am planning my first trip to Thailand in the upcoming October and November. I am backpacking and planning to stay within budget ($500USD excluding return flight from Hong Kong). I am wondering what is your opinion for my following trip in terms of time, physical demands, and feasibility. Btw I am a 26 yrs old male is good physical condition (exercise everyday). I don't want to have a very tight schedule, will rather go to less places and more in-depth. Nothing is set in concrete and stone yet, except that I would like to attend the Full Moon Party at Koh Pha Ngan on Oct. 30. So here is my plan, main transportations will be train and bus.

Oct. 16 HK->Bangkok
    Oct. 16 - 21 Chiang Mai / Pai
    Oct. 21 - 23 Chiang Rai
    Oct. 24 - 25 Ayutthaya
    Oct. 26 - 28 Siem Reap
    Oct. 29 - 31 Koh Pha Ngan (Full Moon Party)
    Nov. 1 - 2 Koh Phi Phi
    Nov. 3 - 6 Pattaya
    Nov. 6 - 12 Bangkok

What I am looking forward in this trip are temples and religious culture from northern Thailand and Cambodia, crazy nightlife and good food in Bangkok, advanturous activities (zip lining, parachuting, sky diving, snorkelling and seeing dolphin) and beautiful beaches on the islands.

Any recommendation on my route is more than welcome, and if you can suggest other islands or alternatives, feel free to do so as well. One last thing, I just realized October is wet season in Thailand, espeically on the islands, is that a big concern, should i skip the islands as a whole and focus on northern Thailand and Bangkok Pattaya?

Thank you very much!

Jacky

#1 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 11:58

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

If my math is correct, your budget comes to about USD20 (THB600) per day. This is a very low budget so you might not be able to afford all those activities (crazy nightlife, zip lining, parachuting, sky diving, snorkelling, etc.) One night of partying can easily eat through a couple thousand baht or more, and accommodation on popular beaches like Phi Phi it's hard to find anything close to 600 baht. There are still some cheap places on Ko Phangan, but the FMP scene can easily make up for that expence-wise. On your budget you'll need to watch expenses very closely, use local transport, eat at food stalls, stay in the cheapest room possible, etc.

Some of the places on your list are far apart and will take some effort and expense. Like Ayutthaya to Siem Reap hopefully you can get to the Aranya Prathet / Poipet border without back-tracking to Bangkok. Same for Siem Reap to Ko Phangan - it's a long way and can take up to 24 hours by bus with the usual changes/delays. Try to take overnight transport when possible to save on room costs.

Oct/Nov can be pretty rainy, but it can also be sunny and anyway always warm/hot. It's the tropics so is very unpredictable. In general the rainy season ends sooner up north so you might want to focus more of your time around Chiang Mai/Rai&Pai - it's also a lot cheaper up here than down on the southern beaches. Hope some of this info is helpful.

#2 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 22:47

• xgeneration

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2012

Thank you Bob. Budget aside, is my schedule very tight? Is there any other island that can replace Phi Phi? Or can Pattaya replace the scenery down south?

#3 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 23:15

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Hi xgeneration

In Bangkok everywhere have a good food :P ,
    nightlife in bangkok? (Khao San Road,Sukhumvit,Siam)
    Here I'll put the name of temple that you may like to visit in Chiang Mai
    - Wat Chiang Man
    - Wat Phra Sing
    - Wat Prasat
    - Wat Chedi Chet Yot
    - Wat Chedi Luang

In October Andaman sea it's still rainy maybe just a bit.
    but 1-2 in Koh Phi Phi to Pattaya that might be rush for you? (you might have to spend more budget)

you can stay longer in Koh Pha Nagan also can do one day trip to Koh Tao, Koh Nang Yuan and then heading to Pattaya for nightlife(?) and back to Bangkok by take Van or Bus ,cost about 150 - 180 baht or maybe less.
    If you do lots of activites it probably need more budget for these trip.

#4 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 23:25

• xgeneration

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2012

I think a day trip to Koh Tao, Koh Nang Yuan is more feasible. I really have no preference regarding the islands, I am sure they are more or less the same. If the weather is as bad as last year with the floods, I might have to skip the entire southern thai islands and focus on the north and bangkok.

Do you guys think my schedule is too tight? Will it be better to skip the islands and Koh Pha Ngan as a whole?

#5 Posted: 10/8/2012 - 10:34

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

It will take you a full day to get from Koh Phangan to Phi Phi. You are much better off just staying on Koh Phangan, especially considering your budget. Phi Phi can be quite expensive.

Same for Siem Reap, it is a long journey. You will have to leave quite early in the morning to get to BKK and then catch the overnight train down.

#6 Posted: 10/8/2012 - 20:50

• xgeneration

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2012

Alrighty, looks like the following schedule is more reasonable.

Oct. 16 HK->Bangkok
    Oct. 16-22 Chiang Mai/Pai
    Oct. 22-24 Chiang Rai
    Oct. 25-28 Ayutthaya
    Oct. 28-31 Siem Reap
    Nov. 1-4 Pattaya
    Nov. 5-12 Bangkok

#7 Posted: 10/8/2012 - 21:01

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi xgeneration,

Why not dump Pattaya for one of the islands like Koh Chang, Koh Mak, Koh Wai, or even Koh Si Chang? All of them are fairly close to the Cambodian border and within a day's travel of Bangkok (or closer). You'll probably find more affordable accommodations, and you'll get your island fix in. You can still get beach bungalows on Koh Wai for around 250 baht, and food is (or, at least, was) very reasonable when I was last there.

You might also think about going to one of the Cambodian islands or beaches, instead. You're going to be paying for the visa, so why not stick around a bit longer and check out some other parts of the country? If you skip Pattaya, shave a day or two off of Bangkok at the end, and maybe a day from Ayuthaya, you'll have about an extra week to check out the Cambodia south coast, or some of the islands in Trat Province as mentioned above.

You probably won't regret not going to Pattaya if that's what happens.

With your budget, go for dorm rooms, or non-a/c single rooms with shared bathrooms. Lots and lots of options in Bangkok, especially in the Banglamphu district near the river. This site has lots of cheapies, as well as a fairly good hand-drawn map of the area (http://www.chiang-mai.org/cheap-hotels-in-bangkok.html). I've always liked Apple II Guest House, and The Green House, right across the alleyway, is also quite decent and very inexpensive. These places are also close to the water taxi and are littered with hundreds of cheap street food places.

Avoid VIP buses and stick to the regular buses at the bus terminals (Ekemai, Morchit, and Sai Tai). Third class trains are also very, very cheap to travel on. City buses, as well, rather than taxis and tuk tuks.

Have a great time.

#8 Posted: 11/8/2012 - 15:37

• xgeneration

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2012

I still really want to join the full moon party, do I have time to travel from Siem Reap to Koh Pha Ngan? and go to one of the drier islands near Koh Pha Ngan.

#9 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 11:31

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"Btw I am a 26 yrs old male is good physical condition (exercise everyday). "

Not sure how that matters.

"I don't want to have a very tight schedule, will rather go to less places and more in-depth."

Then why do you want to visit 9 places then? Take off 4 of them.

"Nothing is set in concrete and stone yet, except that I would like to attend the Full Moon Party at Koh Pha Ngan on Oct. 30."

Why? probably the worst thing to do in Thailand as a tourist.

Your budget of $500 works out at $18.50 per day yet you want to visit all of these places. No hope. As a minimum you should have about $300 per week so about $1200 if you want some cash to do things.

"parachuting, sky diving, snorkelling and seeing dolphin"

Sky diving and parachuting are the same are they not? That alone must be at least 1/3 of your total budget so you can forget that. Snorkelling trips are cheap by slow boat but still 500 baht which is $16 and 95% of your daily budget so you can forget doing more than 1 of them.

I suspect your post is a troll unless you really are naive about prices.

#10 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 18:31

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"Have a great time"

Not on $18.50 a day he won't. Even basic rooms cost around $10 and then he has $8.50 for food and drinks which isnt much and will have to hitchhike to travel.

#11 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 18:34

• xgeneration

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2012

appreciate your inputs Leonard but don't appreciate your attitude, you might as well keep the comments to yourself. thanks.

#12 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 21:03

• xgeneration

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2012

not sure if I should take the comments from a person who can't distinguish between skydiving and parachuting as well as how the gender and age affect the travel planning (not being discriminating) seriously.

#13 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 21:12

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Leonard - I'm sure you've been told before that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't bother saying anything. In fact, I'm sure that you've been told words to that effect several times over the last few years.

#14 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 21:26

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I'm giving some good advice here. You really can't do much with $500 for 27 days. Having been to Thailand more than 10 times and travelled north to south I have a fair idea what things cost and having done skydiving with a PARACHUTE I know something about that as well.

"gender and age affect the travel planning (not being discriminating) seriously"

So older males or females can't go skydiving?

80yo females have done it.

#15 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 21:33

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"you've been told before that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't bother saying anything"

I'm giving sound advice. If your budget is $18.50 a day you really can't do much. That's not being nice or nasty - that's just honest.

It would be misleading to tell a tourist they can do much with $18.50 a day and coating it with sugar and plums does them no help at all.

#16 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 21:36

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

http://www.thaiskyadventures.com/book-a-skydive.html

9950 baht for a skydive in Thailand and they even throw in a free parachute to use.

That's approx $310 which is more than 60% of your entire budget.
    So that leaves $7 a day for everything else. Impossible unless you live on the streets.

#17 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 21:40

• xgeneration

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2012

It is not my intention to start a battle of words, it means nothing to me and doesn't help me to plan my trip. I appreciate your inputs and I respect the fact that you traveled in Thailand many times and I didn't, that's my purpose to start this thread and ask experienced people like you. However, I don't take your attitude kindly. You made your point, my budget is low, so perhaps I should reconsider my budget.

Again, I am not being discriminating regarding gender and age, just to give more background information to the readers so that they can make sounded suggestion. I am sure many people in this forum wouldn't suggest an 80-year-old to take 3rd class overnight train without guarantee seat, even under tight budget.

Cheers.

#18 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 21:41

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"distinguish between skydiving and parachuting"

I think you are confused with parasailing, another expensive hobby.

#19 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 21:43

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"However, I don't take your attitude kindly. You made your point, my budget is low, so perhaps I should reconsider my budget"

What attitude? You're the one with the bad attitude. When someone gives you sound advice you don't abuse them.

#20 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 21:45

• xgeneration

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2012

My initial thought with the difference of skydiving and parachuting is similar to this link, thought there will be straight parachuting from the cliff or what not. Wasn't referring to parasailing. However, with that kind of price, I might as well do it here in Toronto.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_parachuting_and_skydiving

#21 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 21:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

LeonardCohen1 -- I think it's you who has the bad attitude as evidenced by a number of comments on this thread.

Your advise has been given -- let's just leave it at that.

Thanks.

#22 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 21:58

• xgeneration

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2012

Anyway, let's get back to the topic, has anyone done travelling from Siem Reap to Trat Province? To any of the Koh Chong, Koh Wai, Koh Mak islands? I like the idea of one of the previous poster, perhaps I can drop Pattaya and do snorkeling and bungalow in Koh Chong for a few days.

Now what will be the better route to take from SR to Trat? Going back to the Thai border at Ayutthaya first or travel to Phnom Penh and go across to Trat?

#23 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 22:32

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

the person currently posting as Leonard has already been banned several times under several different screen names for this same abusive behavior. why wait?

#24 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 22:33

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Not abusive at all. Was the only one who gave detailed budget advice. It's no wonder this site is so quiet when people who want to add to the forum and give advice are told to go away.

#25 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 08:54

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Ayuthaya isn't on the border and is near Bangkok.
    Chang and nearby islands are really nice.

(Skydiving is always going to be expensive - u cant operate a small plane cheaply, though it is great fun)

#26 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 08:56

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

if you read the entire thread, you'll see that four people including me have complained about you Leonard, and this is just one thread. you are abusive, even though you aren't intellectually honest enough to admit it. plus, its a cost-benefit analysis: the limited advice you give simply isn't worth wading past the prickly personality that comes with it.

as for the site being quiet? funny thing, but during the times inbetween travelrock and krabiman and longbeach and your other screen names, the activity on the message board has been much higher. i believe that is because people felt free to ask a question without fear of an abusive response from you.

do us all a favor. learn to be nice or go away. thanks.

#27 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 09:31

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

You have made 2 posts here and neither have anything to do with travel. I''m talking about TRAVEL, you are not.

"do us all a favor"

What all 3 of you trying to bully me. No wonder it's so quiet here.

Stop trying to bully me and talk about travel or go away.

#28 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 09:44

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Back on topic:
    Siem Reap to Ko Chang, see this story: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/111 (prices will be somewhat dated but the logistics are pretty much the same)

Leonard etc - it's not about bullying, it's about being civil, which seems to be something you struggle with -- if you're incapable of that then I'd prefer you didn't participate in the forum.

Thanks

#29 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 10:04

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

" you are abusive, eventhough you aren't intellectually honest enough to admit it"

What is this nonsense? You abuse me with this and don't talk about travel unlike myself who gave more useful budget advice than anyone.

"the limited advice you give"

Actually I give detailed advice and I haven't seen you give any - just bully me.

#30 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 10:24

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey xgeneration,

Send me a note using the private message function. You aren't too far away from where I live.

#31 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 10:31

• xgeneration

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2012

Somtam, I did read that thread that you mentioned. I also came across someone sugguestion to go through Phnom Penh and cut across to Koh Chong, have you came across any thread on that?

#32 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 13:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel companion wanted - North Laos - October - November 2008 ... By queanbeyan on 22 Jun 2008 3 3070 11 Jul 2008
North Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia - English 31/F - October & November ... By katiepeeps on 17 Aug 2012 2 1349 18 Aug 2012
Trip through North by car in October/November - Want to hop in? ... By RotPickup on 7 Sep 2008 1 1886 8 Sep 2008
Travel route North Thailand 3 weeks ... By exon04 on 31 Oct 2012 2 1819 1 Nov 2012
Southern Andaman Islands in late November ... By kraver_alex on 11 Jun 2009 2 2242 12 Jun 2009
Land travel from krabi thailand to perhentian islands? Best route and how? ... By brennavaishnav on 26 Apr 2013 1 2577 28 Apr 2013
Southern Thailand in November ... By TBone on 23 Sep 2008 1 1856 24 Sep 2008
travel from north Laos to the southern Border ... By lozza1978 on 27 Jun 2009 3 2141 28 Jun 2009
ROUTE TO VIETNAM / CAMBODIA / LOAS / NORTH THAILAND - SOUTH ... By mango551 on 11 Jan 2010 2 5281 14 Jan 2010
Youth/Backpackers hostels in Southern Islands of Thailand? ... By pdrysdale on 28 Oct 2009 9 2425 30 Oct 2009