Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok shirt tailoring advice?

• carelesswhi-
    sker

Joined Travelfish
    15th August, 2012

Hi folks. I'm new to this forum but have been reading, and spreading the word about travelfish since my first Seasia trip in 2007.

I'll be in BKK sometime this month and was wondering if anyone had good experiences with suit / shirt-makers? I've read countless reviews about the high end, westerner owned shops but I'm looking for something a little cheaper, a little more local.

On my last trip I used Sarto Di Moda on Sukhumvit. They did a really nice job and charged me about 1200 Baht per shirt.

Can anyone recommend any decent other tailors in or below that price range?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 15/8/2012 - 13:43

• Advertisement

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

I'm not quite sure about this maybe you can go to Pratunam Market.

#2 Posted: 16/8/2012 - 01:31

• carelesswhi-
    sker

Joined Travelfish
    15th August, 2012

Not sure if they have bespoke stores in there but good shout! I forgot about that place.
    Thanks,
    Martyn

#3 Posted: 16/8/2012 - 11:14

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Hello Ike,
    You might want to start a new thread with your question as it has nothing to do with Bangkok shirt tailoring advice. As for finding somewhere to live in Chiang Mai, try http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/real-estate and http://www.chiangmai.thaiapartments.net

Also try on this forum http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=51

I've lived here for 9 years and love it. Usually the best way to find long-term accommodation is just get here, check into a guesthouse and then go exploring the neighborhoods. Most of the available residences aren't advertised online. Good luck.

#4 Posted: 17/8/2012 - 07:59

• carelesswhi-
    sker

Joined Travelfish
    15th August, 2012

Back on track... if anyone can recommend a tailor of suits and shirts that'd be ace.

#5 Posted: 19/8/2012 - 04:16

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Carelesswhisker,

There is this long thread in LP about tailoring in BKK.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1207953

#6 Posted: 19/8/2012 - 09:46

• piterthomas

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2013

Hi Carelesswhi-sker,

I would like to recommend the good custom tailors but I'm not quite sure them price range so that you can try them :
    Crown tailor
    Tailor on ten
    Narry tailor
    Toms Fashion tailor
    Ravi Sehgal tailor

#7 Posted: 2/1/2013 - 23:47

• piterthomas

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2013

I have been very impressed with the quality of the suits and shirts I have had made at Toms Fashion tailor during my holidays in December last year.The service is first class with in affordable budget.

#8 Posted: 8/2/2013 - 03:44

• JohnnyCash

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008

I have been going to Excelsior in Bangkok for years and have been fully happy with them. Most of the suits and shirts bought from them over 10 years are all still in great shape.
    They are located opposite the Le Meredien Hotel and have large selection for shirtings .
    I also notice that they ship large boxes and packages of tailored shirts and suits daily around the world.

#9 Posted: 8/2/2013 - 09:45

• patadv

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2013

Hello,

I think 1,200 baht is a little expensive but then I haven't used a tailor in Bangkok.

I have used one in Pattaya and it was very good. You get a suit tailor made from the best silk materials for about 3,500 baht. I think the shirts are a little less of a bargain, but I think I only paid about 500 baht if memory serves.

If you do go for a suit, give them a couple of days to make it (there should be a second fitting where they take additional measurements). The first one I bought was on my last day in Thailand, so there was no time for a second fitting. At the time I thought it was OK, but the second suit I bought on a subsequent trip was way better.

#10 Posted: 21/3/2013 - 09:53

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

$40 per shirt is expensive. You can buy business shirts off the rack for $30 in the west.

#11 Posted: 21/3/2013 - 21:17

• domino

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2010

I normally go to Jhasper Fashion in Sukhumvit soi 11 for my clothes. Their prices are more reasonable than other tailors in Bangkok with good quality & service.

#12 Posted: 22/8/2013 - 05:16

• jimmyco

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2013

Firstly, kudos on the decision to do some research and get a few comments before diving in, because I did not think that finding a good tailor in Bangkok would be a big task and just went searching for one. I ended up spending half a day walking in and out of tailor shops not satisfied with what I saw. Finally I visited a shop called Baron's Fashions and on speaking to George Baron, I got the confidence that they were good. I spent some time digging through their fabric collections and finally got my measurements done and my suits were delivered a couple of days later. They were quite well done and had nothing to complain about. Every third guy in BKK is a tailor who promises to give you a makeover with his suits :P so beware.

#13 Posted: 16/11/2013 - 23:06

• JohnnyCash

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008

Still very happy with the shirts from Bangkok ,I paid 900 from Excelsior and they visit New york regularly.
    The shirts fit me perfectly are still holding great shape.

#14 Posted: 17/11/2013 - 16:53

• archiecox

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2013

I got a couple of suits stitched from Ambassador and Smart tailors during my visit last month. The price was quite reasonable and I was quite happy with how the suits came out. The tailors here were very courteous as they helped me select the best fabrics and also gave me several design suggestions. I was very satisfied with the service I got and the outcome was great. I would suggest Ambassador and Smart to anyone looking for a good tailor in Bangkok.

#15 Posted: 18/11/2013 - 10:44

• rglover

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2013

If bespoke tailoring is what you are looking for, then my suggestion would be Damanino on Sukhumvit road. I tried Damanino for the first time during my visit last year and was truly impressed with what I got. I had a couple of French cuff shirts stitched and they turned out great. This year I got a double breasted notch lapel suit done and I was quite skeptical about the outcome but everything about the suit was just fine - the fit, the size and the stitch was really well done. These guys do really good work.

#16 Posted: 23/11/2013 - 07:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok Red-Shirt Protest Round 2 ... By timelytravelingtravler on 26 Mar 2010 5 2026 8 Apr 2010