Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Christmas in SEA - arrive early or stay late?

• AprilJef

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2012

Hello,

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find it exactly.

We want to take advantage of our Christmas break to have more time on vacation to spend in SEA but we unsure if we should be thinking of arriving early (Dec 1) and then leaving at the end of the month or arriving around Christmas and stay into January. We only have 4-5 weeks in total to visit.

We're a Canadian couple (33yrs and 42yrs) that like to take in sights and just relax. We're more the type that enjoys people watching and having a few beers over adventure hiking or scuba diving.

We're tentativly thinking:
    5 days Bangkok
    5 days Chaing Mai (taking the overnight train to get there)
    4 days Luang Prebang (probably flying there to save time)
    3 days Vang Vieng
    3 days Vientiane
    8 days back in Thailand on a beach (thinking Ko Samui/Ko Phangan and again flying to save time)

I like the idea of Christmas/New Years on the beach, but really it doesn't matter too much. I worry if we're trying to start at Christmas we'll be trying to travel up to Chaing Mai around new years, which could be a hassle. But then again if we go into January we might find it to be a little less busy, but maybe I'm kidding myself. I realize this is high season no matter which way you look at it.

Any thoughts from the seasoned travellers?

Am I still rushing the pace? I started with the notion of Cambodia and Vietnam as well but thanks to this website I'm paring it down. Maybe just not enough? Or should I add more time someplace and take it away from others? This is a plan for only 4 weeks but I can take up to one more week off work and make it 5 so we have a little wiggle room in out planning stage. However I probably will book most of the trip beforehand as it is high season.

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 16/8/2012 - 16:53

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I would go with the "stay late" scenario. Christmas and New Years isn't nearly as busy up north as it is on the southern islands. I've lived in downtown Chiang Mai for several years and every Christmas it's like "where are all the tourists?" Answer: they're all down on the beaches. Actually a lot of Thai tourists come north then (to experience "cold season") but by comparison not a lot of foreigners. The only place you might want to book in advance up north is Luang Prabang since it's more compact than Chiang Mai and very popular. So spend some time up north and leave your beaches for January. At least after around the first week of Jan a lot of the package holiday tourists tend to filter out and then you're not dealing with the heaving masses of xmas/ny period.

#2 Posted: 17/8/2012 - 11:08

• AprilJef

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2012

Thanks Captain! That's exactly what I was hoping, that I could maybe go 'against the grain' and not get swept up with the masses going on their Christmas holiday.

And thanks for the advice about advance booking in Luang Prabang. I'm a project manager by trade so it's so hard for me not to book every last little thing in advance before I go, but I really want to try to have a chance to decide once we get there and have a bit more freedom to make changes as we go.

I've heard flights can be cheaper if booked within SEA, but maybe with internet booking that advice is out of date? Should I worry about my flights in January? Kinda ties into the whole 'go with the flow' if I can book as we travel.

#3 Posted: 17/8/2012 - 15:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Would u stay around KL International Airport / LCCT a night for early departure / late arrival? ... By travissaw on 20 May 2012 4 2404 9 Aug 2012
Laos in late March/early April ... By Orbital on 14 Mar 2006 1 2745 15 Mar 2006
Itinerary help, 3 weeks in late Feb/early March ... By fushica on 26 Jan 2013 7 1889 7 Feb 2013
Vietnam in Late October to Early Novemeber - best places? ... By LindaLovelace on 29 Apr 2010 7 5819 11 May 2010
3 Weeks Malaysia late November / early December ... By nochnbier on 27 Oct 2010 6 3112 26 Nov 2010
Which Phuket Beach? Late June/Early July Travel ... By epessin on 10 Apr 2007 3 3741 11 Apr 2007
10 night trip to Malaysia in late October/early November ... By kpibear28 on 28 Aug 2013 2 946 22 Nov 2013
Male, 32 Travelling Solo from BKK to Siem Reap to Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh Late April/early May ... By ozzie153 on 23 Apr 2013 0 554 23 Apr 2013