Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok/Ko Chang Questions (10 day trip)

• eslavet

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2007

Hi, I'm new to travelfish- We're flying into BKK Suvarnabhumi late at night, and want to leave early the next morning for the east coast. (We have only 10 days total in Thailand, so we don't want to waste a lot of time travelling....) So I have a number of questions:
    1) Where to stay for one quick night near the airport?
    2) What do you think is the quickest way to get to nice beaches/destinations? We're thinking of heading to East Coast/Ko Chang. We're not against buses/trains if they are scenic/somewhat comfortable... Is it worth taking the bus from the BKK airport and stopping in Rayong City on the way to Ko Chang?
    3) We arrive late Monday night and want to get back to Bangkok by Friday night so that we can hit the big market on Saturday morning. What's the best way to get to the island-scene (not into discos etc, more into chilled out beach-time, exploring, 'local' color, people-watching, waterfalls, maybe an elephant ride?)
    4) Another question: is the Chatuchak market in Bangkok also open on Sundays??? (or only Saturdays) THANKS!!!
    (sorry, I posted part of this message in reply to island-query, but now I've discovered how to start my own topic)

#1 Posted: 26/4/2007 - 08:11

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Welcome to Travelfish eslavet -- glad you figureed the messageboard out!

Just to answer your questions in a roundabout fashion, the quickest way to get to Trat (for Ko Chang) is to fly with Bangkok Airways, last time I checked, they have three flights a day -- all go from Suvanabhumi (the new airport). If you're planning on flying then it kind of makes sense to overnight somewhere near the airport, but if not, then you'll be going by bus.

The buses leave from Ekamai Bus Station which is on Sukhumvit Road and take around 5 hours to reach Trat. There's a bunch of hotels on Sukhumvit, from budget to high-end that are within easy distance of the bus station. Let me know what kind of price range you're looking at and I'll try to make some recommendations.

That said, depending on how late you're arriving there is a 23:30 bus departure to Trat (last one of the day I think) so if you were out of the airport by say 22:30 you could head straight to the bus station and catch the night bus to Trat -- you get there about five am -- plenty of time for an early breakfast in the market before getting the first boat to Ko Chang.

Other questions:
    Rayong city is not worth even slowing down at in my opinion, and there is no train to Trat nor Ranong.

The islands scene stuff -- any guesthouse/resort on Ko Chang will be able to point you in the right direction in that regard.

Yes the market is open on Sundays.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 26/4/2007 - 08:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Questions for first trip to Bangkok for 4 days ... By shanladams82 on 1 Mar 2014 19 818 3 Mar 2014
Upcoming trip - Bangkok & North questions ... By roverinexile on 28 Oct 2006 4 1500 30 Oct 2006