Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

where next? south east thailand

• tinacrossman

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

We are currently in Phuket - for one month (end aug/ beg sept) and are looking for somewhere to go for our second month. I presume if we want to avoid the rainy season we will have to stay in the south east and I am getting overwelmed by all the islands and choices! Can anyone suggest a quiet out of the way place to stay - we dont mind if it is an island or mainland. I did read about Koh Tao and it sounded ideal then read another website that said its all party party party. I welcome your suggestions.

#1 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 00:25

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Ko Tao is not all party party party at all. It's got some nightlife if you want it (think beach-side DJs with drinks and fire dancers) but it's not even in the same universe as southwest Phuket 's nightlife scene with its endless go go bars and the like.

Ko Tao is a laid back island with good Western food and great diving, and there are many secluded places to stay on the south, east and north coasts, as well as some houses that can be rented by the moth. A very relaxing place to spend a month, I reckon, and you could take side trips to Ko Phangan, Ko Samui and Ang Thong marine park, which looks spectacular. You could also hit Chumphon, Surat Thani and/or Nakhon Si Thammarat if wanting a more "local" Thai setting for a few days, or even take the two hour bus ride from Surat Thani to Khao Sok National Park for a dose of one of the world's oldest rainforests.

If you want a bigger island that's more similar to Phuket with shopping malls and no shortage of upscale resorts, then base yourself in Ko Samui. Ko Phangan might not be a bad choice either, but I've never been.

#2 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 02:02

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I think Koh Phangan is my favourite of the three - in spite of it's rep as a party island. As long as you stay out of the Haad Rin area, you can avoid the party scene quite easily. I love the relatively quieter Northern and North-East corners. It's also a great island to spend time travelling around by jeep (or motorbike if you're experienced.. the roads can be a bit rough in places unless they've done recent work on them!)

#3 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 19:08

• tinacrossman

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

thank you all very much - I have plenty of places to look at now and plenty of time, as in bed with food poisoning!

#4 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 22:42

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The coast between Chumphon and Hua Hin. Thung Wua Len, Ban Krud, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Khao Sam Roi Yod.

my pics here

#5 Posted: 19/8/2012 - 00:54

• indigobaabs

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2012

Koh Phangan really is charming as long as you steer clear of Haad Rin. Every corner of the island has it's own vibe which is why it's my personal favorite of the 3. Rent a motorbike for 150 baht a day from Adam's place in Thongsala and see for yourself. Chakolum for sea food, Srithanu for yoga (or head to the Sancuary for the full blown experience), Haad Yao, Haad Salad, Mae Haad are all beautiful beaches near by. I rented a bungalow and motorbike for a few months and had a very relaxing time. As DLuek said above, many wonderful places to visit in the surrounding area if your interested. If you rather stay at a smaller island with much better diving, than base yourself in Koh Tao for sure.

#6 Posted: 19/8/2012 - 03:02

• tinacrossman

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

thanks Captain Bob and Indigo - we really enjoyed all your photos Capt they inspired us - we think we will make the most of our time and hire a jeep to drive to drive along the south coast - Krabi to Bangkock - leave the jeep at the airport and fly to Chang Mai (we could have a beer Bob) and into Laos as our first visa runs out. We would appreciate any ideas as we have only just come to this conclusion. Presumably we would get a ferry from Phuket to the mainland??

#7 Posted: 19/8/2012 - 06:46

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Sounds like a plan (rent a jeep/car and drive up the coast, then fly to CM for a beer)
    There's a big ol' bridge connecting Phuket to the mainland btw (smirk)

#8 Posted: 19/8/2012 - 07:21

• tinacrossman

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

Oh a bridge? really!! We will probably take the ferry tho as we will be picked up from the hotel - it takes 2 hours. We will look on computer for a hotel for one night then look into the rest of it! We will be in Chang Mai for December and January so will look forward to that beer! Any other info re getting around would be greatly appreciated - we are such novices at this!

#9 Posted: 22/8/2012 - 07:32

• elizabethno-
    elle

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2011
    Location United States

I also love Koh Phangan as long as you stay away from Haad Rin. Haad Yuan is about 10 minutes away from there by boat (seems close I know) but it is a totally different world! We spent two weeks there and it was such a quiet, laid bacper cool k chill beach we never wanted to leave! Check out the blog post I wrote about it... The whole island, up north by Haad Yai in particular, is also really amazing! We have been to this island a few times and even though we know we should try some new ones, its just such a cool place! Hope you find what you are looking for, Haad Yuan was exactly that for me :)

#10 Posted: 12/9/2012 - 21:56

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, south east asia guidebook! .. pls help ... By ravenger99 on 12 Jan 2009 7 2958 27 Jan 2009
South Thailand to East Coast Malaysia - any other ideas? ... By goodquestion on 28 Mar 2008 0 2054 28 Mar 2008
South east asia, 6 weeks – Thailand, Laos Cambodia ... By kayjaydesign on 13 Aug 2013 2 1069 14 Aug 2013
6-8 weeks in South East Asia - Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand ... By mjbeavis on 13 Sep 2010 7 7362 25 Mar 2013
Travelling south east asia July 2013 (Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia) ... By michelled on 9 Jun 2013 3 1106 10 Jun 2013