Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best Cashcard - Thailand

• badgermonkey

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2012

Im travelling to thailand in december for 3 months and wondered what was the best cashcard to take with me. Ive done some research on the internet, but all the various fees make it very hard to work out whats the best deal !!!!
    Im just looking for something where i can withdraw a couple of hundred pounds every few days and not get hit with a bad exchange rate or too many fees !!

#1 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 17:45

• Advertisement

• carelesswhi-
    sker

Joined Travelfish
    15th August, 2012

Nationwide card in an AEON atm.

Travelers cheques with a 33 baht hit per cheque - also not too bad an option.

#2 Posted: 19/8/2012 - 04:12

• bronzedwarr-
    ior

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2007

Halifax Clarity Credit Card.

You can use this in any ATM but you will always be stung by the Thai bank charge ( Was previously 150 baht but I haven't been to Thailand for 12 months so that could well have increased?! ).

The beauty of this card is you get a very good exchange rate and there are no charges levied by Halifax ( Other than interest, which provided you pay your statement in full and on time, shouldn't amount to more than a quid or two ).

I used to use the Nationwide card but they have now introduced their own charges for withdrawing money abroad ( Ok for Europe but quite steep for the rest of the world ). Agreed, you can avoid the Thai bank charge at an AEON ATM but I've only ever seen one of these ATM's in all my time in Thailand and certainly not outside of Bangkok. In all likely hood, if you opt for the Nationwide, you'll end up withdrawing from a non AEON ATM and then you'll be hit with charges all round.

Also, the Clarity allows you to withdraw more cash at any one time thus limiting the amount of Thai charges you have to pay...

I'd go with the Clarity. Lesser of two evils...

#3 Posted: 19/8/2012 - 08:16

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Cash cards?

I have money in credit union checking accounts in my country. I can use my debit card in Thailand to make withdrawals from ATM's from those accounts. When my checking account gets a little low I can even make an internet transfer from my bank account to the credit union accounts.

So, are you making a withdrawal from a bank and then putting that money into some Cash Card thing? Why not just use your bank debit card overseas? I like my credit union accounts because they provide free travelers checks and also pay for some of my withdrawal fees - even overseas. This is got to cost less than Cash Card fees.

Because I have been traveling or living overseas for so long I have more than one checking account. With the credit union accounts the fees are low. There is no big commission to buy one of the commercial Cash Cards. I always have travelers checks (largest denomination you an get) because I can get them free of commission plus the fee to cash a TC is only 33 baht. In Bangkok and other cities you can find some Aeon ATM's without the 150 baht ATM fee for withdrawals.

Maybe in your country Cash Card means something different. But my credit union debit cards (even my bank debit cards) work okay in Thailand. I have MasterCard and Visa affiliations on these cards.

Up to you.

#4 Posted: 21/8/2012 - 19:43

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

As far as exchange rate goes - the rate changes every working day! Sometimes even more than once in a day. The exchange rate could go higher a little or go lower a little. Who knows!

I don't worry that much about "best rate" because it is what it is! Most of the money conversion in Thailand is done at real banks or bank kiosks. Not some dodgy cambio or back room money changer you find in other countries. The rates are clearly posted. I don't find a big difference between various banks. Not big enough where I would change thousands of dollars all at one time. Because 3 weeks later the rate might be better!

Since you say "3 months" you do know you will need a proper visa - right?
    http://www.thaiconsulatemelbourne.com/tourist-visa.php

If you intended to fly to Thailand from a long distance using one way flights consider having a fixed return date and use a round trip ticket. Many one way flights on full service airlines cost almost the same as round trip. You might save lots of money with one round trip vs 2 one way flights. Without a tourist visa and without a return ticket you run into other problems - like just leaving your own home airport!

If you got the tourist visa and proof of onward travel - you should all set.

#5 Posted: 21/8/2012 - 20:02

• Natwock

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2011

Hi,

Me and my partner are also travelling to Thailand for three months and are looking to take a prepaid travel card. This one http://www.ezpayltd.co.uk/escape-travel/buy-now/currency-selection/moneysupermarket-com-offer-pound-sterling/ seems to be the best I have found so far. I think the only charges are to withdraw from an ATM which I believe is 150THB.

#6 Posted: 23/8/2012 - 16:13

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

you worry about the wrong things:
    1. yes, THai banks still charge any withdrawa with 150 BT fee, will simply be added to the sum in THB.
    2.the rate of exchange hardly varies from bank to bank-for same days.But it does vary is what they add-on-can vary from 0 till 3,5%, or some with also a flat fee THIS only YOUR bank can tell you-and you did not even bother to tell us where yo from (but maybe the pounds are money and not weight?). a site like moneysavingexpert has more info on that.A prepaid cashcard is nearly always a grand way to loose even more money, as they always have very high hidden fees.

#7 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 09:17

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Bring cash to start and go to SUPERRICH for the best exchange rate, AEON ATM's are the only ones that don't charge the 150 baht fee but they are not everywhere & as mentioned above - TC's at 33 baht. Make sure you withdraw the max - each withdrawal. Raise your limit before leaving home.

I would change about $50 at the airport for the first day, and then change $1000 at SUPERRICH to last me a good part of the month....

I bring a mix - US cash, Debit card, TC , and both a visa and Mastercard for emergencies and booking online train & plane tickets.

I will be in Thailand & Malaysia from Jan - March

#8 Posted: 27/8/2012 - 06:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.