Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Krabi rooms on the cheap in peak season - recommendations

• violetfriday

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2012

Hi all!

My husband and I are going to Thailand for 3 weeks after 3 weeks in India, first northern Thailand then to the south west islands in the first week of Jan (1st/2nd Jan - 8th Jan). We're looking to base ourselves in Krabi Town/Ao Nang/anywhere close-by to explore the islands around here. We just need a place that's easy to get in and out of (especially at night) that's clean, relatively comfortable to relax after a long day at the beaches/islands, and CHEAP. We don't plan on being there during the day so it doesn't need to be fancy!

I've been searching for bungalows and privates but everything that's still available, not ridiculously far from the main towns and has decent reviews seems to be over 1000THB per night, which is too much seeing as we're also budgeting 1000THB each max per day for sightseeing and the like.

I'm using hostel websites (hworld/hbookers/etc) and Agoda to search for rooms, and reading reviews on those websites plus Trip Advisor. The really budget-type accommodations aren't getting great reviews at all. It doesn't make sense to spend all this money taking a trip down to SW Thailand and be uncomfortable (e.g. roaches/really unreasonably hard beds/dirty toilets/etc) every night, right?

In addition, the hostel websites give us prices that are sometimes HALF what is stated on the actual hotel's website - e.g. Glur hostel on hbookers shows privates for those dates at 650THB-750THB but the Glur hostel website clearly states privates in peak season are 1300THB-1500THB ... how does this work? I've used hostel booking sites with good results before, but only when we traveled to the US 2 years ago. I'm kinda worried we will get there and the hostel/hotel refuses us or asks us to cough up the remainder.

If the prices on the usual hostel websites are legit then there seems to be enough available. Has anyone stayed at Glur hostel, Aonang Goodwill, Baan Iraya, Baan Taveesri, etc - if so, was it relatively decent for a good night's sleep? I don't expect to get any frills on our budget, just not keen on a grotty hole for a bed! Also, we don't care if it's not right ON the beach, or *gasp!* we need to walk to the beach/city/cafes - and we're willing to take tuk-tuk's if we need to. Does anyone have other suggestions for hotels/bungalows to stay at in the 1st week of Jan in Krabi for under 1000THB per bungalow/room? Since we're a young couple, and after staying in many hostel dorms together, we've realized dorms aren't always suitable or desireable for certain trips so we're looking mostly at privates for SW Thailand - but hey, we'll will take good dorms in a pinch so suggest away!

Sorry for the long message. I was stuck to my screen all day yesterday, fretting that we wouldn't get to see this part of Thailand on our budget and still have fun, so any help you have is really appreciated! Thank you!

#1 Posted: 24/8/2012 - 01:19

• Advertisement

• greg121

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

#2 Posted: 24/8/2012 - 07:00

• violetfriday

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2012

I actually saw it after posting my question when browsing through Travelfish again - thanks! I'm going to contact them today! Have you stayed here before?

#3 Posted: 24/8/2012 - 07:23

• greg121

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

No, I haven't, but I have on my list for my next thailand holidays, good location, basic rooms and cheap.

and by contacting them directly all your money is going directly to the owner and to no agoda/hworld page. I prefer doing it that way.

#4 Posted: 24/8/2012 - 09:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
PEAK SEASON!!! ... By Miss_Lucy on 22 Aug 2006 16 2439 5 Sep 2006
Peak season worries on the Thai islands ... By somtam2000 on 25 Sep 2007 22 29423 5 Jan 2009
Thailand during peak-peak for ultra-runner/yogini couple...need guidance ... By 4erica on 20 Oct 2008 4 1264 21 Oct 2008
Cheap but cheerfulish dorm rooms in Bangkok??? ... By Finn on 26 Mar 2009 6 3376 31 Mar 2009
Krabi: recommendations ... By sopherie on 13 Dec 2007 2 1783 18 Dec 2007