Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2012

Hello all,

I would greatly appreciate if you gave me your opinion on an itinerary

It goes like this:
    - 3 nights in Bangkok

- Take a flight to Chiang Mai

- Spend 5 nights in the North: Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai

- Fly back to Bangkok, and then find a beach to relax on for rest of the trip, and here the problem lies, i cant decide as there is way too much choice! (About 9-10 days)
    I would like to be close by a small town with accomadation v close to beach, price wise about mid range. Also nowhere that is too crazy party wise but neither too quiet and full of kids!
    - Back to Bangkok for 2 nights.

Do you have any suggestions for what beaches/islands to see in early to Late December also weather dependent!

Thanks a millon!

#1 Posted: 24/8/2012 - 07:47

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

MY opinion?
    Boring-all newbies do the same-well at least 99% or so. So its a well-used, in main season overtrodden path used by the 1000. You have to specify personal views-like midprice-means something different for anyone-but be assured-most of those towns have a big variety of rooms in sizes, prices, amenities. Thats what made Th so attractive to tourists.OH-this has also been said many times:fly BKK-North_loose at least 1/2 day-flights do not go overnight.
    Bus and train does-so you save even time!

#2 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 09:21

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Tinz,

Your itinerary looks fine. Spending a few days in Bangkok when you first arrive is a smart choice, particularly if you are arriving on a long-haul flight from europe or north America. It will give you a chance to look around and get used to your surrounding.

You can fly up to Chiang Mai which is quick and easy, or you could look into the overnight sleeper train, which can be a fun adventure by itself but won't be your best night of sleep ever. The overnight trains tend to fill up ahead of time, so you would want to book your berth as soon as possible. Personally, I don't like the overnight buses for both comfort and safety reasons.

Once you get to Chiang Mai, you'll find there is lots to see and do. Every time I visit it is different. It is a good holiday place, particularly if you like street life and different kinds of food and massages and casual night life. Say hi to Captain Bob when you go. I'm not sure the five days will be enough for both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai though. Is there something specific you want to do in Chiang Rai?

As for late December weather, check out the interactive weather map at:

http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

It may help you decide where to go. The islands along the eastern seaboard are popular that time of year for good reason. You could visit Koh Chang and Koh Maak, for example, and even get in a stop at Koh Samet on the way there or the way back to Bangkok. Maybe do a bit of research on beaches or seaside towns (like Hua Hin or Cha-am) and come back with more specific questions. Make sense?

One last thing. If you'll be travelling in really late December and into New Year, be aware that transportation books up ahead of time and gets really croweded, so plan ahead. I hope that helps. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 11:34

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

" close by a small town with accomadation v close to beach, price wise about mid range. Also nowhere that is too crazy party wise but neither too quiet and full of kids!"
    One of the better small towns I know is Chalok Lam on the north coast of Ko Phangan - the perfect mix of traditional Thai fishing village and a few services for the tourist industry - restaurants, tour-booking joints yada. On the beach to the east of the town pier is a bunch of bungalow joints, mainly budget-flashpacker. To the west are some a bit upmarket - google Malibu Beach Resort. You are looking at maybe 10 minutes walk along the beach into town.
    Chalok Lam has some nice nearby beaches - west is Had Mae, east is Coral Beach - both by road. And a short distance further east is arguably the nicest beach in Thailand, Bottle Beach which you can jump on a longtail boat to visit. Unfortunately Bottle Beach does not have a village.
    One caveat - you ask about the weather and Phangan and neighbours is in about the only area Thailand where the wet season prolongs itself - however late Dec should be okay, it is high season in these areas and places in full on wet season can't pull high season prices eg the rest of Thailand June thru to the end of Oct.

#4 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 02:35

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Oops, more work on the colour html Stewie!

#5 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 02:36

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Um, back to the OP.
    Still on Phangan, Thong Nai Pan Noi and Yai have villages and plenty of mid-range to choose from. But the villages are mainly tourist orientated.

None of the accommodation on Ko Bulon Lae is too far from the village.
    Ditto most of Ko Lipe and Ko Muk.

In the eastern Gulf I had a good stay at Grand Lagoona on big Ko Chang's south 15 minutes walk along the beach from the main pier village of Bang Bao which is a bit like Chalok Lam but more touristy. Grand Lagoona is an uprmarket place that discounts on the booking site into the midrange - you can get a floating rice barge chalet here.
    South of Chang are some nice islands - I'm thinking Peter Pan and Tinkerbell resorts on Ko Kut's Klong Khao beach are possibilities because of the adjacent Baan Klong Khao village - the village is pretty tiny but the resorts and beach are great.

#6 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 05:08

• Tinz

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2012

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

I have decided to change itinery.

3 days bankgok
    Fly to krabi 2 nights
    Go north on the west coast taking in the national parks 1 week
    last week on Ko Phangyan or Ko chang
    Fly from Ranong to Bangkok 2 nights
    Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated

happy travelling 8-)

#7 Posted: 7/9/2012 - 06:55

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

2 nights krabi and 1 week on little chang?

i'd do it the other way around

heaps more to do around krabi

#8 Posted: 10/9/2012 - 08:58

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Hi
    2 days in Krabi ? this is very short :(
    Why don't you change 4 days in Krabi and 2 days for Bangkok.
    you can buy one day tour for visit other islands around Krabi , in Krabi also have many nice place to visit such as Koh Lanta (can take minibus or minivan from town) , Susan Hoi or Shell fossil beach, Huai To Waterfall,Wat Thum Sua (temple),
    I would recommend you to visit SraMoRaKod and Nopparat Tara beach in Krabi. :D

#9 Posted: 12/9/2012 - 04:42

• Tinz

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2012

Thanks so much everyone for your advice

Yes I will spend a couple of more days in Krabi and then up to Koh sut park for a couple of days and then either ko Chang noi or Ko Panyam

Do u think I need to book accommodation in advance for Ko Panyam or Ko Chang Noi for xmas week?

#10 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 13:46

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
27/M from Tanzania(asain origin) Thailand from Mid December 2012 till 7 Jan 2012 ... By bongohuzz on 30 Oct 2012 1 558 19 Nov 2012
travelling thailand for 3 weeks december 13/january 14 ... By thelittlehobo10 on 19 Nov 2013 2 755 23 Nov 2013
25 M UK, Thailand-Cambodia-Laos-Vietnam 6 weeks June-July 2012, looking for travel buddies ... By shervin87 on 9 Mar 2012 11 3301 20 Jun 2013