Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Phangan Bungalows

• Arigato9

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2011

I will be on Koh Phangan with my girlfriend for the first time come Sept. 12 and I have been researching all the crazy accomodations and wanted to get some feedback on some great places to stay on the island. We are looking for some great beach bungalows backpacker to flashpacker no more than 25 bucks a night.

I want to be away from Haad Rin, as thats not really our thing. We have been looking at Haad Salad, Ao Thong Nai Pan Yai and Ao Thong Nai Pan Noi. We are planning on stayin on the island for about two weeks and then heading back over to the Krabi side (railay and Phi Phi) when the weather seems to be better.

Thanks for the recommendations!

#1 Posted: 24/8/2012 - 22:38

• Advertisement

• greg121

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

$25 ~ 800THB
    I suggest on Haad Salad: My Way Bungalows
    700THB Beachfront Bungalow

#2 Posted: 25/8/2012 - 05:57

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

In May this year I did another of my beach hops around the nicer places on Phangan - leaving Thong Nai Pan out because you have already been there I stayed at Bamboo Hut on Had Yuan, the east coast one just north of Had Rin - on an earlier visit I stayed at Beam on adjacent Had Thian, Plaas at Than Sadet further up the east coast (previously at Mai Pen Rai resort) , and Mae Had View on Had Mae beach in the north-west just above Had Salad. On a previous visit I stayed at Bottle Beach One on the beach of the same name in the island's north.
    All of these are nice quiet beaches and all the accommodation was good.

Some things may help your decision:
    - nicest beach: Bottle Beach
    - best snorkelling - Had Mae
    - nicest resort - Bottle Beach One (has a pool).
    - best food - Bamboo Hut and Plaas
    - best view from restaurant - Plaas
    - best value - Beam
    - best traveller vibe - Had Yuan and Had Thian (interconnected).
    - easiest to access - Mae Had and Had Yuan/Had Thian.

#3 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 05:44

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Oh yeah, $25 these days may not go too far. But September is low low season so prices will be at rock bottom. btw the rainier weather often does not kick in on the Phangan side until October.

With 2 weeks I'd be thinking of trying more than one beach. The east coast ferry which runs from near the airport on Samui right up to Thong Nai Pan calls in at all the beaches (well you have to hike over to Had Thain if you are on Had Yuan) so maybe you could do as I did and jump from beach to beach that way. It's not too expensive a longtail trip from Thong Nai Pan to Bottle Beach.

#4 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 05:51

• Arigato9

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2011

We will be hopping around for sure! Thanks for the help! Also I've been thinking we see going to head there and just see what we can get since it is low season

#5 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 07:28

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Actually September is not quite low season. It does drizzle down but the low season prices do not kick in until mid-October.

#6 Posted: 2/9/2012 - 21:31

• iTravelchan-
    nel

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2012

Check out Haad Yuan, just a short boat trip from Haad Rin. We stayed at Ocean Rock Resort, super cool bungalows from 300 to 800 baht a night. Super cool, relaxed, beautiful and a little bit hidden! I wrote a blog post about the beach and bungalows - check it out! Enjoy!

#7 Posted: 11/9/2012 - 04:03

• Arigato9

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2011

Thank you! We are going to stay there when we head to haad yuan in three days!

#8 Posted: 11/9/2012 - 06:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.