Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Which quiet island in July?

• petrouschka

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 5

I'm going to Thailand from the 10th of July until the 15th of August and we want to visit a quiet island for two weeks. As the monsoon will be there we thought about koh tao, but it seems that koh tao is full of people nowadays?! Can anybody help me out?!

#1 Posted: 27/4/2007 - 02:54

• Advertisement

• emielvl

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2007

Koh tao is indeed really busy. I would defintely go to koh phangan. Set yourself on a quiet beach and rent a motorbike for the time you're there and you will have a wonderfull time.
    However, at koh tao are also a lot remote beaches like laem thian or tanote bay

#2 Posted: 27/4/2007 - 19:45

• ike

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2007

hi
    i'll be in thailand 15-22 august. arriving from tokyo to bangkok 15 august, around midnight. probably stay over night and then travel southeast
    would like some rest on an island and see some sights.
    had thought about koh samui or ko phangan. is this best during monsoon season?
    if so can you recommend a good place to stay on ko phangan (bungalow) and best way to get there? seemed like maenam beach could be a nice place to stay on koh samui.
    thanks! great site btw!!

#3 Posted: 28/4/2007 - 04:34

• newbie419

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2007

Hey ike,
    I just booked a bungalow on Koh Phangan called Mai Pen Rai Bungalows. It is basic and inexpensive (600baht) and had a laid back and funky look to it. You can choose from bungalows right on the beach, on the rocks overlooking the ocean or on the river. They have a website with lots of pics and info. www.thansadet.com
    If coming from Maenam beach, you can take a longtail taxi directly to the beach (Than Sadet), or you can take a ferry from a few ports on Samui into the main port at phangan and a taxi from there to than sadet. All the info is on the site.
    Good luck!

#4 Posted: 28/4/2007 - 20:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

419 -- funny we just updated our coverage on that very beach (Than Sadet), and Mai Pen Rai did indeed get a great writeup. It's a relaxed very laid back spot, but I like the balcony restaurant up at Plaa's even more.

Have fun!

#5 Posted: 28/4/2007 - 21:28

• newbie419

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2007

Thats great to hear somtam, thanks!

#6 Posted: 28/4/2007 - 21:31

• petrouschka

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 5

As we're leaving with three kids we're thinking about taking two bungalows. At Mai Pen Rai they have family bungulows up on the rocks, but I'm afraid of the hight... Does anybody knows this place?

#7 Posted: 28/4/2007 - 22:16

• ike

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2007

thanks so much!
    last questions, could you recommend a hotel close to the intl airport to leave right away to the south or taking an extra day to gather a bit of culture in the city of angels before heading to an island?
    lastly, i gather the weather on the Southeastern coast is better than on the Southwestern in august, in your experience and with all the climate shifts, is that still so?

#8 Posted: 29/4/2007 - 00:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
After some help finding a quiet island in June-July... ... By EddieWalker on 1 Feb 2014 3 1051 4 Feb 2014
Looking for a QUIET Thai island for August holiday ... By boosar on 23 Mar 2013 3 2115 25 Mar 2013