Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Starting my 12 week SE Asia trip in Bangkok - few days there, where best to stay?

• AndyPandy

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2012

Hello everyone,

I've been posting in various sections of this INCREDIBLE forum about my upcoming 12 week trip in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Thanks so much to those who've been so kind with their helpful replies. I have another question... I fly in and out of Bangkok and have got used to the idea that when I arrive I will spend a few days there before crossing over into Cambodia. I will revisit Thailand at the end of my trip for 2 or so weeks but wondered where you'd recommend I should stay when I first arrive in Bangkok (on a Monday)?

I just want to get my bearings a bit after I've landed and be somewhere sociable so I can meet people and hopefully find other travellers en route to Cambodia. I keep seeing people dissuading others about staying in Khaosan Road. If not there, please can you recommend somewhere less "crazy" and not so overwhelming for a few days (but happening enough that I won't feel isolated from other backpackers)?

I'd like to book my first few nights accommodation in advance, just for the start of this trip in Bangkok, and wing the rest on my adventure once the nerves have gone....

I've been having weird dreams the past couple of nights about my trip so I guess I'm still very nervous about doing this all solo!!

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Best wishes,
    Andy xx

#1 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 04:18

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi again Andy,
    I completely agree that Khao San Road itself is to be avoided. But there are lots of other areas in Bangkok where you can meet other travellers.

Actually, Bangkok is such a major arrival and departure point for travellers that you'd probably meet people regardless of where you stayed - any inexpensive guesthouse in the town centre will probably be half-full of backpackers.

I know a lot of people who stayed around Soi Rambutri and Santichaiprakan park - it's still very much a backpacker ghetto but 5 minute's walk from Khao San and less full-on and in-your-face. You might want to stay there for a couple of nights, as you're guaranteed to meet a lot of backpackers in the guesthouses, bars and restaurants, and you might find the westernisation of the area an easier way to get your feet wet and slip into Asia. Despite what some will undoubtedly say about the Banglamphu area not being "authentic" Thailand, there's nothing wrong with giving yourself some time to acclimatise, especially if it's your first trip and you're feeling nervous! Saying that, if you do decide to stay in that area, and are going to be based in Bangkok for a while, I'd suggest that you only stay a few nights before you move out of the tourist ghetto - for a start the food will be better!

Other options include Chinatown (for more budget accommodation) and Silom (for mid-range hotels - although I've found mid-range hotels are harder to meet people in, the people you do meet tend to be older so it's useful if you yourself are an older traveller). I'd avoid Sukhumvit as a female.

Hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 05:04

• greg121

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

thanon Sam sen soi 1, Bangkok, Thailand

type that into google maps, there are plenty of nice guest houses and it's far enough from khao san road. Still you can easily walk there in 5-10minutes.

check out google street view

#3 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 05:25

• Poohh

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2014

Hi everyone!

As so many others I'm looking for a decent place to spend my first nights in BKK. I'm a first-timer: first time solo, first time backpacking and first time sea. I'm getting a bit nervous ;-). Also very excited. I feel the urge to mention that I'm very happy with this excellent website and all the information that is presented here!

But, I can't decide where to stay my first 3 nights. I'm a female 34-year old, and I'll arrive in BKK May 23rd late afternoon. A friend suggested Suk11 (close to skytrain), but in one of the previous posts I read "I'd avoid Sukhumvit as a female". So now I'm not so sure if this is a good choice.

Can anyone help me pick a decent place to stay? Considering the jetleg I think it's wise to have my own room. I don't mind sharing a bathroom. A nice and clean place with a good vibe would be much appreciated, from where it's easy to get around (yes, we all want that, I know, and I'm no exception). I'll be traveling mostly on a backpackers budget, so let's say my budget for accommodation in BKK would be $25 p/n.

All suggestions are much appreciated and thanks a lot in advance!

-P

#4 Posted: 12/5/2014 - 07:57

• splashcayman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2014

sawadee khoa san is just of ksr and is cheap enough. rambrutti village is good as it has a pool and full of backpackers but the rooms are that good but its CHEAP.
    for bookings, have a look on line but i use agoda and booking.com

hope this helps

#5 Posted: 12/5/2014 - 11:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Sukhimvite and Silom both have sex for sale out in the open pretty full on. So does Huai Kwang, but not many foreigners go there. It's focussed on the Thai market. So if prostitution makes you uncomfortable those areas might seem over the top. Sukhimvite is perfectly safe though. It's a bit hectic. I like it because it has international food and good salsa dancing. It's certainly not the cheapest part of town. More popular with expats, residents of Bangkok and Sex travellers than the beach tourist or backpacker set. It really depends on what you're looking for. Most who come here first want Thai food, cheap place to stay, not too hectic and while you certainly can get good Thai food in Sukhimvite, you can get that almost anywhere in Thailand. So no need to pay more to stay in Sukhimvite, which you will.

#6 Posted: 12/5/2014 - 11:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
40 days in S.E Asia from July 14, starting in Bangkok. Suggested itineraries please ... By turab on 10 Jul 2008 0 2614 10 Jul 2008
25.F. SE Asia (Aug-Oct) Starting in Bangkok ... By arkrose on 29 Jun 2010 8 1960 13 Aug 2010
9 Week SE Asia Trip ... By realacefool on 19 Mar 2012 6 1820 26 Mar 2012
Vaccinations and their costs for a 6 week trip to SE Asia ... By ms1892 on 27 Jan 2010 13 16484 14 Nov 2010
Where to stay in Bangkok - 1st trip to Thailand/SEA ... By sunnylegs on 17 Sep 2013 6 1274 18 Sep 2013
a week to explore - starting in Phuket ... By pilinka on 9 Feb 2009 1 1351 10 Feb 2009
6 Week (ish) SEA Itinerary, starting it Vietnam, Cambodia... Malaysia? ... By Flamebadger on 26 Apr 2014 8 1383 1 May 2014
Questions for first trip to Bangkok for 4 days ... By shanladams82 on 1 Mar 2014 19 847 3 Mar 2014
Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok Trip in 6 days ... By LGR_2010 on 2 Apr 2010 2 3086 3 Apr 2010