Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Box Jellyfish Risk?

Posted by pollitoriquito on 26/8/2012 at 10:03

I was reading of the seeming infestation of Langkawi by various species of lethal box jellies and, looking at the map, realized Ko Lipe is quite near this island plagued by the stingers. With Langkawi suffering from hundreds of stings yearly the situation is quite grave.

I plan on going to Ko Lipe in early October, but my plan was to spend a lot of my time in the water swimming and snorkeling. Is it safe? Does anyone know of the risks of box jellies around the island? Would I be better off going to an island in the gulf?

I'm a fairly adventurous traveller with a decent risk tolerance but deadly jellyfish scare the hell out of me!

#1 pollitoriquito has been a member since 14/4/2012. Posts: 15

Posted by goonistik on 27/8/2012 at 09:30

Box Jellyfish are endemic to the region so there is always some risk, what ever time of the year. Anecdotal evidence suggests that jellyfish are more numerous in the summer months.

But you have to put things into perspective. The best estimate is that 100-200 people in Southeast Asia die from jellyfish stings. So the chances of you dying due to jellyfish sting are rather low.

See here:
http://www.trade-seafood.com/species/jelly-fish-box-irukandji.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_jellyfish

#2 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by tezza on 28/8/2012 at 01:22

More people are taken by sharks in Australia each year than killed by box jellyfish in Thailand. I swim and surf everday in Australia as do millions of others who like me figure the risk of attack is very low.
I feel the same way about swimming in Thailand and I probably spend more time in there than the average person - I swim big distances in the sea for fitness.
It's a risky world - I think you probably stand more chance of being mugged if you live in a big western city and for sure, the most dangerous aspect of visiting Thailand is the risk of death on the roads. If that is not going to stop you visiting LOS then fear of stinger attack shouldn't.

#3 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 4/9/2012 at 19:07

I've seen lots of harmless jelly fish but the bad ones are less common.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by idreamofdurian on 4/9/2012 at 20:20 TF writer

It's a very, very small risk and you can't let it stop you from enjoying the ocean.

I got my first jellyfish sting in June 2012 snorkelling around Koh Lanta. Was just the regular kind and didn't hurt as much as I'd expected (based on film/TV reactions to jellyfish stings).

#5 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by Captain_Bob on 26/8/2014 at 02:24

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754874-koh-pha-ngan-authorities-issue-box-jellyfish-warning

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,824

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.