Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Box Jellyfish Risk?

• pollitoriqu-
    ito

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2012

I was reading of the seeming infestation of Langkawi by various species of lethal box jellies and, looking at the map, realized Ko Lipe is quite near this island plagued by the stingers. With Langkawi suffering from hundreds of stings yearly the situation is quite grave.

I plan on going to Ko Lipe in early October, but my plan was to spend a lot of my time in the water swimming and snorkeling. Is it safe? Does anyone know of the risks of box jellies around the island? Would I be better off going to an island in the gulf?

I'm a fairly adventurous traveller with a decent risk tolerance but deadly jellyfish scare the hell out of me!

#1 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 10:03

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Box Jellyfish are endemic to the region so there is always some risk, what ever time of the year. Anecdotal evidence suggests that jellyfish are more numerous in the summer months.

But you have to put things into perspective. The best estimate is that 100-200 people in Southeast Asia die from jellyfish stings. So the chances of you dying due to jellyfish sting are rather low.

See here:
    http://www.trade-seafood.com/species/jelly-fish-box-irukandji.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_jellyfish

#2 Posted: 27/8/2012 - 09:30

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

More people are taken by sharks in Australia each year than killed by box jellyfish in Thailand. I swim and surf everday in Australia as do millions of others who like me figure the risk of attack is very low.
    I feel the same way about swimming in Thailand and I probably spend more time in there than the average person - I swim big distances in the sea for fitness.
    It's a risky world - I think you probably stand more chance of being mugged if you live in a big western city and for sure, the most dangerous aspect of visiting Thailand is the risk of death on the roads. If that is not going to stop you visiting LOS then fear of stinger attack shouldn't.

#3 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 01:22

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

I've seen lots of harmless jelly fish but the bad ones are less common.

#4 Posted: 4/9/2012 - 19:07

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

It's a very, very small risk and you can't let it stop you from enjoying the ocean.

I got my first jellyfish sting in June 2012 snorkelling around Koh Lanta. Was just the regular kind and didn't hurt as much as I'd expected (based on film/TV reactions to jellyfish stings).

#5 Posted: 4/9/2012 - 20:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.